If Guri pans out, how does Nill's drafting suddenly look?

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
We here and most pundits know Dallas' biggest issue is drafting. Whether that's on Nill/McDonnell/scouting, circumstance, bad luck or a little bit of all of that - it's a fact.

So...if Guri suddenly pans out does Nill's drafting suddenly move from poor to average? The 2014 draft was an absolute nightmare that needs to be scrubbed from existence, but how does his overall body of work suddenly look if Guri becomes a 25-30 goal, 50-60 point player, and guys like Harley and Dellandrea continue to progress?

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
We here and most pundits know Dallas' biggest issue is drafting. Whether that's on Nill/McDonnell/scouting, circumstance, bad luck or a little bit of all of that - it's a fact.

So...if Guri suddenly pans out does Nill's drafting suddenly move from poor to average? The 2014 draft was an absolute nightmare that needs to be scrubbed from existence, but how does his overall body of work suddenly look if Guri becomes a 25-30 goal, 50-60 point player, and guys like Harley and Dellandrea continue to progress?

Still pretty mediocre. Mediocrity out of 2013, nothing out of 2014, 2015 was a turnaround but is making an impact FOUR years later, 2016 has been blah, 2017 was a Heiskanen gimme, 2018 seems better, and 2019 looks ok for having four guys. Probably goes from worst drafter to just a bottom 10 drafter.

Reactions: ZeHockeyFan

serp

Jan 17, 2016
His first two drafts in 2013 and 2014 sucked and that really hurt the team for a while. Players from those drafts should be on the roster and in their prime right now and the team has only Dicky and if we're generous we can count Janmark ( came from that draft but was aquired via trade ) . From the 2014 draft the team has pretty much nothing. Honka will be gone at some point and the only other guy that even is still under contract with the Stars Nyberg is not exactly looking like he's close to the NHL .

Its nice that it turned around at bit but its still not good.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Still putrid. You need 2 players per draft (7 picks) be NHLers to be average.

2013 - below average
2014 - putrid
2015 - above average
2016 - putrid
2017 - probably ends average or above average
2018 - wait and see

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Still putrid. You need 2 players per draft (7 picks) be NHLers to be average.

2013 - below average
2014 - putrid
2015 - above average
2016 - putrid
2017 - probably ends average or above average
2018 - wait and see

I think 2016 ends up average to below average. There's nobody with high upside there but a few third / fourth liners.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Better, not great, although these past 3 drafts are looking pretty solid so far. I hope by the time Pavelski leaves the Stars that Robertson will be ready to basically slide right into his role if not sooner

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014

It's still bad.

9 first round picks 7 of them at 15 or higher and we got 2 blue chip prospects out of it (Heiskanen, Harley)

in all but 4 of those picks we passed on Obviously better players for some unknown reason and went off board to varying degrees those 4 picks were (Nichushkin, Tufte, Heiskanen, Harley)

If Gurianov turns into a 25g-30g scorer (and that is still a big if) it doesn't somehow negate the fact that we passed on a franchise center and already proven 30g scorer for a player who almost half a decade later still isn't anywhere near that level.

We've also got 3 complete busts in that time Nichushkin, Honka, Tufte.
Took a goalie (always dumb in the first round) and got a 4th liner (Dickinson)
It probably moves from 31st to 30th or maybe 29th, but it's just bad.
Considering you can damn near make an all star team of players we passed on.

Reactions: ZeHockeyFan

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I don't really have a problem with the Tufte pick generally because ultimately that was a late 1st and they are a crapshoot anyway. Yeah it looks worse when DeBrincat is chosen shortly after and I admit I like to bitch about that too lol but what can you do.

I feel the pain of not taking Connor/Barzal as I live in Winnipeg and see Connor all the time. But at least Dallas isn't paying him 7.1 million a year, right? :sarcasm: If Guri becomes a 25/30-50/60 and he hits on one of his goalie picks then Nill's drafting from 15-19 looks alot better. Don't get me wrong - I'm still a member of the anti-Nill club for now. :D

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
The 2013 and 2014 drafts really set this organization up for failure. People absolutely can grow, hopefully Nill and co really have done some serious self reflection and grown as evaluators/developers. I have tempered expectations but I suppose time will tell.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The 2013 and 2014 drafts really set this organization up for failure. People absolutely can grow, hopefully Nill and co really have done some serious self reflection and grown as evaluators/developers. I have tempered expectations but I suppose time will tell.

2014 is inexcuseable. I do wonder how much of the 2013 draft was scouted the guys that Nill brought with him since he was hired in April that year.

They've made some changes in the last few years to scouting and development staff and since then its gotten better . Still not as good as you want it to be though.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
2014 is inexcuseable. I do wonder how much of the 2013 draft was scouted the guys that Nill brought with him since he was hired in April that year.

They've made some changes in the last few years to scouting and development staff and since then its gotten better . Still not as good as you want it to be though.

I think 2013 should have been pretty close to ideal circumstances; two scouting staffs for the price of one...or maybe just ignore the scouts altogether in round 1 and draft the best players on Bob McKenzie's list. Results would have been much improved over Nill's tenure.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
I think 2013 should have been pretty close to ideal circumstances; two scouting staffs for the price of one...or maybe just ignore the scouts altogether in round 1 and draft the best players on Bob McKenzie's list. Results would have been much improved over Nill's tenure.

Well Nichushkin was like number 6 on Bob's list so that wouldn't have made a difference there :sarcasm:

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
No ill will towards the Val pick here, I'll never blame a GM for going with the consensus BPA. Wish we had traded him before his value completely cratered though and I'm not sure why he deserved to be brought back at nearly $3 million a year.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
No ill will towards the Val pick here, I'll never blame a GM for going with the consensus BPA. Wish we had traded him before his value completely cratered though and I'm not sure why he deserved to be brought back at nearly $3 million a year.

The sum seemed wierd in hindsight for sure . Was that his QO or something ? At least the deal could be bought out without much cap repercussions.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Still pretty bad in my opinion, but it has seemed to improve especially if we get a good player out of Harley.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad