If Gretzky started playing in todays NHL

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
This is cyclical psychosis.

The same generation of people who were probably upset because the Bobby Orr crowd wouldnt give Gretzky his due are the very ones who chastise anyone who thinks there can exist a player or players who, at least in the confines of their eras, are just as good.

tikkanen5rings*

Lots of players were "better built" for the game than Gretzky when he played. Including Lemieux. He still dominated all of them (except Lemieux who was no better than Gretzky even when healthy).

I do think Lemieux would be the better goal scorer than Gretzky in today's game, but I think Gretzky would be the better point producer.

Well stats against each other say Gretzky is better even not in his prime.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

The same generation of people who were probably upset because the Bobby Orr crowd wouldnt give Gretzky his due are the very ones who chastise anyone who thinks there can exist a player or players who, at least in the confines of their eras, are just as good.

I hope there isn't anyone here who truly believes that another player won't emerge who is as good as Gretzky or Lemieux. I hope it happens, sooner rather than later. But the fact is, there hasn't been a player like that.

Remember how Malkin looked against Carolina the year he won the Conn Smythe? Flat out imposing his will on the other team whenever he was on the ice? That was Mario Lemieux ALL THE TIME.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
How is 80-100 assists Sedin/Thornton/Crosby territory?

Thornton got 90 twice and has not had 80 since. (the two seasons he got 90, the NHL was calling penalties much more frequently and strictly than they have been called ever since).

Both Sedin and Crosby hit 80 on peak seasons.

Gretzky would hit 100 on peak years but even those 100-120 assists seasons could not be possible, even from Greztky.

Not saying players are better now or more skilled but just the fact that the game is played vastly differently from the 1980's would mean that the certain "pure physical shortcomings" that Gretzky had could not made up for by the simple fact that he had the best vision, IQ in the history of the game or the fact that he could anticipate the play.

Think about this; players now are brought up from the time they learn to skate until they grow up to play a strategical game.

Not all players are born equal, some players have better vision than others but players now make less mistakes than they used to and they lack creativity so Greztky would not be given as much offensive freedom as he did before.

Yes Gretzky was great but he also turned over the puck a lot. Players were allowed to be free on the ice, were allowed to take chances and make mistakes, now if a player turns over the puck too many times he could get benched.

You actually think Wayne would get benched? Get real.

This is a stupid question. I say that to be frank but I'm not trying to mock the OP. It's just really a dumb debate.

We are talking about a guy who's hockey training as a kid was during the 60s and 70s. He would not have had access to the resources that players have now and would thereby be handicapped from the get go if you drop him into today's NHL.

Give Gretzky the benefits that young players have today, as well as the equipment and technology and who knows how good he could be. In his prime years he was lugging around a heavy wood stick with a practically straight blade. Someone commented on his wrist shot not being as good as the players today... Obviously. How could it be?

It's like this Jags guy. He's going to sit here and tell you how much better goalies are and its so much more impossible to score and Gretzky was basically shooting on stick figures but it goes both ways. As goalie technology improves, which is the biggest difference by the way, player technology improves too. It's not like players are still making sticks out of trees in their backyards.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
As many assists as anyone else has points then add 50-60 goals to that total and we're in the right area.

Pushing 180-190 at his peak possibly.
Not assured but not to be ruled out either.

Even in his lowest full season at age 37 and about to retire he had 67 assists, good for 4th best last season.
Considering he had more than double that in his prime....

Last edited:

Eaglepride*

He lift up the league again assuming his coach would let him play the offensive hockeystyle.

btw. congrats to 50 the great one!

Last edited by a moderator:

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.

Strong argument you've got there.

Seanconn*

Lots of players were "better built" for the game than Gretzky when he played. Including Lemieux. He still dominated all of them (except Lemieux who was no better than Gretzky even when healthy).

I do think Lemieux would be the better goal scorer than Gretzky in today's game, but I think Gretzky would be the better point producer.

how does that even make sense? Lemieux had a higher PPG than Gretzky, and played through how many injuries? Plus he's 6'4 235, while Wayne is 6' and would have been lucky to bulk up to 200lbs. he might have had the better vision, but I think Mario would have dominated todays NHL no differently then when he started playing... Gretzky would have dominated in a different fashion than he did in the 80's.

Gretzky was on the stacked oilers and had multiple body guards. I'm not saying Gretzky wouldn't win multiple Art Rosses, but if him and Mario joined the league as 18 year olds at the same time, Mario would win more scoring titles... if they both had healthy careers, and both were both on comparable teams in terms of offence. If Mario had Jagr and Francis in the 1988 season... smashing 200 would have happened, and he might have beat 215.

Lemieux was definitely better than Gretzky when healthy. Gretzky had more assists, but I think he also had better teammates in the 80's than Mario did.

Mario's 1992/1993 is really comparable to anything Gretzky did. 160 points in 60 games is insane... if he played a full 84 games, I see no reason why he would not have smashed 215 out of the record books.

69 goals in 60 games... 91 assists... Gretzky won the Art Ross the next season with 38 goals, and 130 points in 81 games. Mario's monster seasons 87/88, 88/89, 92/93 95/96, all compare with Gretzky's best seasons. and only in 95/96 did he have a supporting line up, that can be compared to Wayne's Oilers.

So basically, assuming that modern health tech, could have helped Lemieux play more than 1,200 had he been born 20 years later... I think he would have dominated the league, and been a firm #1 player, with Gretzky at # 2.

bring Bobby Orr into the discussion, and who the **** knows :laugh:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
how does that even make sense? Lemieux had a higher PPG than Gretzky, and played through how many injuries?

When did Lemieux have a higher PPG than Gretzky? Gretzky had a higher PPG at every comparable stage of their respective careers, and he finished with a higher PPG.

Gretzky was on the stacked oilers and had multiple body guards.

Gretzky's Oilers weren't stacked his first few years with the team. He was regularly leading the team in scoring by percentages just a shade off how much Lemieux led his awful Penguins teams. And it's not like Lemieux's Penguins weren't absolutely stacked with offensive talent from 1991-1993.

Also, both players put up the best seasons of the career with Paul Coffey feeding them in the puck in transition.

As for bodyguards, Gretzky was better protected, yes but it's not like Kevin Stevens and Rick Tocchet were shrinking violets.

I'm not saying Gretzky wouldn't win multiple Art Rosses, but if him and Mario joined the league as 18 year olds at the same time, Mario would win more scoring titles... if they both had healthy careers, and both were both on comparable teams in terms of offence. If Mario had Jagr and Francis in the 1988 season... smashing 200 would have happened, and he might have beat 215.

Lots of speculation here. You're basically saying if Mario had Jagr (a better linemate than Gretzky ever had!), he might beat Gretzky's record. Remember, both men had Paul Coffey in their best seasons.

Lemieux was definitely better than Gretzky when healthy. Gretzky had more assists, but I think he also had better teammates in the 80's than Mario did.

Why only compare the teams in the 80s? Lemieux's Penguins were almost as stacked as the Oilers for a few seasons in the early 90s.

Mario's 1992/1993 is really comparable to anything Gretzky did. 160 points in 60 games is insane... if he played a full 84 games, I see no reason why he would not have smashed 215 out of the record books.

If by "smashed," you mean "barely broken," I do agree he had a chance.

69 goals in 60 games... 91 assists... Gretzky won the Art Ross the next season with 38 goals, and 130 points in 81 games. Mario's monster seasons 87/88, 88/89, 92/93 95/96, all compare with Gretzky's best seasons. and only in 95/96 did he have a supporting line up, that can be compared to Wayne's Oilers.

More about the "stacked" Oilers. In 1981-82, Gretzky had 92 goals, 120 assists, for 212 points. Glen Anderson was 2nd on the team with 105 points, less than half as many points as Gretzky had and fewer points than Gretzky had assists. Paul Coffey was 3rd on the team with 89 points, fewer points than Gretzky even had goals. Some "great supporting cast."

Lemieux's early 90s Penguins were far more stacked than that, though I don't see why it matters. Gretzky and Lemieux are two players who put up their points no matter who their linemates were.

So basically, assuming that modern health tech, could have helped Lemieux play more than 1,200 had he been born 20 years later... I think he would have dominated the league, and been a firm #1 player, with Gretzky at # 2.

The only argument for this is that Lemieux would be a better fit for the modern game, which is definitely something you can argue, though I disagree with it.

Jedi Pengu*

My guesstimate would be that he would be a 150-170 point player at his peak today.

All the "Crosby/Ovechkin is the best player ever" talk would be gone after the first season Gretzky played.

With no red line for passing, Wayne would be having a field day. Not to mention no clutching and grabbing.

Similarly Mario would be scoring goals like there was no tomorrow.

Oh, and happy birthday, Wayne! Thanks for the memories.

Can we please leave Wayne in the past. It's a joke. All of you who can't see with your Gretzky goggles on, go back and watch some old time hockey from the 80's. Not just one game, watch about 10 Oiler games. Then watch 10 current Penguin games. Hockey is much MUCH different and improved nowadays. Gretzky would MAYBE win an Art Ross or two MAYBE!!! Sid, Ovechkin, and Stamkos are all stronger and faster, they also have way better shots. The goaltending alone nowadays doesn't compare. I think Gretzky would be 90-110 points range, in a GOOD year, not every year. I'm 41 and watched Gretzky Lemieux and now the young kids today. Lemieux was heads and tails ahead of Gretzky, the clutching and grabbing wouldn't have changed a thing. It would really change for Lemieux though who had 2-3 guys hanging on him constantly. I laugh when people say Gretz did so good in the clutching and grabbing. That was the dead puck era and Gretz was retired. Back in the 80's early 90's hockey was run and gun. Nobody touched Gretzky or they were dealt with, by Oilers tough guys, Semenov, or by the league refs. Wayne is not even in the top 5 if he played currently in his PRIME. Deal with it fellas, it's a different league now. STOP using the clutching/grabbing as an example. Gretzky was never abused like that. Crosby has put up with more abuse already that Wayne did his entire career. This is the truth, so please, instead of just writing filth go back and actually watch old time hockey. The game in general was horrible and immensly less skilled than it is today. I think Sid/Ovechkin put up 3-4 PPG on average if they played in the 80's. That's 240-320 points a season, WAYNE WHO??

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
how does that even make sense? Lemieux had a higher PPG than Gretzky, and played through how many injuries? Plus he's 6'4 235, while Wayne is 6' and would have been lucky to bulk up to 200lbs. he might have had the better vision, but I think Mario would have dominated todays NHL no differently then when he started playing... Gretzky would have dominated in a different fashion than he did in the 80's.

Gretzky has a higher PPG career wise than Lemieux despite playing way more games which makes it harder to maintain. Also, Gretzky's prime is at the very latest, done after the Suter hit so he played a ton of post prime games which would drop his PPG even further.

Gretzky was on the stacked oilers and had multiple body guards. I'm not saying Gretzky wouldn't win multiple Art Rosses, but if him and Mario joined the league as 18 year olds at the same time, Mario would win more scoring titles... if they both had healthy careers, and both were both on comparable teams in terms of offence. If Mario had Jagr and Francis in the 1988 season... smashing 200 would have happened, and he might have beat 215.

Lemieux was on comparable teams in terms of offense for many years. You can say IF and MIGHT all you want but it's purely conjecture and it carries no value. Let's not forget that listing a guy like Messier as a key to Gretzky's offense is plain wrong. Different lines.

Also, the impact of bodyguards is vastly overblown. What exactly did they do? Fight for him? He wasn't going to fight anyway. Stop people from hitting him? You can;t hit what you can't catch.

How does Stevens, Francis, Tocchet, Murphy, Jagr and Mullen not compare?

You want to give Mario the health benefits? Give Gretzky the same. If he doesn't get his back injured in the 91 Canada Cup, I see no reason why he doesn't eclipse 3500 points.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
Can we please leave Wayne in the past. It's a joke. All of you who can't see with your Gretzky goggles on, go back and watch some old time hockey from the 80's. Not just one game, watch about 10 Oiler games. Then watch 10 current Penguin games. Hockey is much MUCH different and improved nowadays. Gretzky would MAYBE win an Art Ross or two MAYBE!!! Sid, Ovechkin, and Stamkos are all stronger and faster, they also have way better shots. The goaltending alone nowadays doesn't compare. I think Gretzky would be 90-110 points range, in a GOOD year, not every year. I'm 41 and watched Gretzky Lemieux and now the young kids today. Lemieux was heads and tails ahead of Gretzky, the clutching and grabbing wouldn't have changed a thing. It would really change for Lemieux though who had 2-3 guys hanging on him constantly. I laugh when people say Gretz did so good in the clutching and grabbing. That was the dead puck era and Gretz was retired. Back in the 80's early 90's hockey was run and gun. Nobody touched Gretzky or they were dealt with, by Oilers tough guys, Semenov, or by the league refs. Wayne is not even in the top 5 if he played currently in his PRIME. Deal with it fellas, it's a different league now. STOP using the clutching/grabbing as an example. Gretzky was never abused like that. Crosby has put up with more abuse already that Wayne did his entire career. This is the truth, so please, instead of just writing filth go back and actually watch old time hockey. The game in general was horrible and immensly less skilled than it is today. I think Sid/Ovechkin put up 3-4 PPG on average if they played in the 80's. That's 240-320 points a season, WAYNE WHO??

It's past your bedtime. Semenov eh? If you are going to make an argument, at least get the name right. :laugh:

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005

Tragically hilarious post.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Really depends on whether his coach would allow him to play an all-out offensive game like Sather did, or would he put a leash on him. Coaches nowadays are alot more conservative than Sather, so while Gretzky would still win his Art Ross trophies, I don't see him dominating the scoring race quite like he did in the 80's. I think 140 to 160 points at his peak would be a reasonable expectation.

Who he played for would make a big difference.

He might score (a lot) more with Washington or Detroit than with Ottawa or New Jersey.

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.

Why did Lemieux score at a higher GPG and PPG in 00-01, at the end of an injury-ravaged career, after being away from the game for 3 years, than Crosby/Ovechkin have so far, at the end of the dead puck era?

Oh, right; because he's Mario Who?

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
I hope there isn't anyone here who truly believes that another player won't emerge who is as good as Gretzky or Lemieux. I hope it happens, sooner rather than later. But the fact is, there hasn't been a player like that.

Remember how Malkin looked against Carolina the year he won the Conn Smythe? Flat out imposing his will on the other team whenever he was on the ice? That was Mario Lemieux ALL THE TIME.

I get what you're saying but I've read many responses here that almost completely condemn the sheer idea that someone could be as elite as Gretzky. Maybe it has spawned from what has been years and years of some fans proclaiming insert talented young player name here as the next one or attributing the many accomplishments of Gretzky and his ilk to lesser play in older eras.

Every theoretical comparison brought up is usually hugely flawed either way.

There just needs to be more compromise from both sides.

Strong argument you've got there.

I dont like to speak in certainties as exceptions always exist.

Old fans who immortalized Orr may have the ability to see how great Gretzky was as opposed to simply putting him down because he was not Bobby Orr. Some may not.

For example, lets not relate this to hockey, but to life.

You looked at my post and picked out the word "probably", and needing to be edgy, used this out of context to suggest that I am somehow inadequate at providing solid backing for my proposed argument.

Instead of looking at the possible variables:

You may have had a bad day
Your favorite team could be losing this season
You might have suffered through a recent break up
You may really like Gretzky
You might really hate opinions

I could just say:

You have no counter argument
You made no point
You achieved no "gotcha" moment
Your post would be worthless if we received money for quality.

This is the same as ruthlessly believing Gretzky would destroy the league today and is the best ever and never entertaining the idea that this may not be so cut and dry.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Gretzky has a higher PPG career wise than Lemieux despite playing way more games which makes it harder to maintain. Also, Gretzky's prime is at the very latest, done after the Suter hit so he played a ton of post prime games which would drop his PPG even further.

Lemieux was on comparable teams in terms of offense for many years. You can say IF and MIGHT all you want but it's purely conjecture and it carries no value. Let's not forget that listing a guy like Messier as a key to Gretzky's offense is plain wrong. Different lines.

Also, the impact of bodyguards is vastly overblown. What exactly did they do? Fight for him? He wasn't going to fight anyway. Stop people from hitting him? You can;t hit what you can't catch.

How does Stevens, Francis, Tocchet, Murphy, Jagr and Mullen not compare?

There were no comparable teams to the Oilers offensively.

Pens best season they had 367 goals. Oilers best, 446. Not even close.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
:laugh:

tikkanen5rings*

So I wached some hockey just to remind me how cool the game was!
Hey man!! go to hell and die!

Infinite Vision*

Why did Lemieux score at a higher GPG and PPG in 00-01, at the end of an injury-ravaged career, after being away from the game for 3 years, than Crosby/Ovechkin have so far, at the end of the dead puck era?

Oh, right; because he's Mario Who?

Give Crosby 2 more games and Jagr on his right wing this year (even current Jagr) and he doesn't score 10 more points?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Didn't you mean Orr?

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
I think Sid/Ovechkin put up 3-4 PPG on average if they played in the 80's. That's 240-320 points a season, WAYNE WHO??

:biglaugh: n00bs!

Does anyone bother to read the stickies when they join?

This forum is not the place for "Evolution of Hockey" threads, where people who have experienced the "blinding flash of the obvious" come to the conclusion that all players today are better than any players in history, and make implications that Guy Lafleur wouldn't be able to crack an NHL roster today.

...and it is always so hilariously "explained" to us as if it is an Earth-shattering epiphany that they have figured out that we just can't get, lol.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Give Crosby 2 more games and Jagr on his right wing this year (even current Jagr) and he doesn't score 10 more points?

Ovechkin scored his most goals with a 69 pts Backstrom, and less goals with a 100pts Backstrom.

The fact is there can only be one player that drives offense, and that player can't really do much better. It is actually a rare situation where elite level players production is effected by other players

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Ovechkin scored his most goals with a 69 pts Backstrom, and less goals with a 100pts Backstrom.

The fact is there can only be one player that drives offense, and that player can't really do much better. It is actually a rare situation where elite level players production is effected by other players

All players production is affected by other players to some degree.

Cue the Rob Brown/Bob Errey argument that conveniently ignores Coffey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad