If Gretzky played in the O6 era ...

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Tried the Minor League version one time. Enough to appreciate the strengths and weaknesses.

Which has a different tier of players compared to the ones we're talking about

From 2010 forward

Orr must be overrated because he underachieved even harder than Gretzky because he only has 2 cups and has never won an ATD.

Lemieux must be overrated because underachieved even harder than Gretzky because he only has 2 cups and has never won an ATD.

Beliveau has never won an ATD
Lidstrom has never won an ATD
Shore has never won an ATD
Richard has never won an ATD
Hull has never won an ATD
Robinson has never won an ATD
Hasek has never won an ATD
Roy has never won an ATD
Crosby has never won an ATD
Morenz has never won an ATD
Fetisov has never won an ATD
Jagr has never won an ATD
Mikita has never won an ATD
Nighbor has never won an ATD
Chelios has never won an ATD
Lafleur has never won an ATD

Do you see why it's stupid to try and use the ATD to support your assumptions? Or would all these players also fail in the O6?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Okay? but 4 cups is hardly underperforming, you're aware it takes a full team right?

Since you seemingly are continuously ignoring the differences between and ATD and NHL season you won't see why your last point makes no sense

Henri Richard has also not won an ATD

Bobby Orr hasn't

Tons of great players haven't but no one uses them not winning ATD in such a malicious way to try and undercut their success.

No malice intended or real. Stop being so defensive about an academic exercise in a fantasy format that is a elaborate debate that goes beyond pro and con to 24 viewpoints. Nothing more. Generates valuable research and opinions.

BTW the difference between the ATD and an NHL season is not what you portray.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
No malice intended or real. Stop being so defensive about an academic exercise in a fantasy format that is a elaborate debate that goes beyond pro and con to 24 viewpoints. Nothing more. Generates valuable research and opinions.

BTW the difference between the ATD and an NHL season is not what you portray.

I still don't understand how you think Gretzky winning only 1/8 ATDs support your argument?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Which has a different tier of players compared to the ones we're talking about

From 2010 forward

Orr must be overrated because he underachieved even harder than Gretzky because he only has 2 cups and has never won an ATD.

Lemieux must be overrated because underachieved even harder than Gretzky because he only has 2 cups and has never won an ATD.

Beliveau has never won an ATD

Lidstrom has never won an ATD
Shore has never won an ATD
Richard has never won an ATD
Hull has never won an ATD

Robinson has never won an ATD
Hasek has never won an ATD
Roy has never won an ATD
Crosby has never won an ATD
Morenz has never won an ATD
Fetisov has never won an ATD
Jagr has never won an ATD
Mikita has never won an ATD
Nighbor has never won an ATD

Chelios has never won an ATD
Lafleur has never won an ATD

Do you see why it's stupid to try and use the ATD to support your assumptions? Or would all these players also fail in the O6?

You really do not get it. Reality steps in. As the bolded above clearly illustrates. No one would ever ask how Beliveau would do in the O6 or both Richards or Bobby Hull or Mikita since definite answers and videos are there in black and white even in colour.

All the bolded had actual on ice performance and success in the O6 or before. Assuming the Hull refers to Bobby.

Gretzky in the O6 is fantasy just like the ATD is a multi-level debate framed in a fantasy format as opposed to a pro and con format.

There is a difference between illustrating - effectively stating that there is no fantasy consensus in the biggest fantasy sample space available and supporting which would be treating a fantsay debate as producing reality based results.

I effectively stated that regardless of justification or explanation participants do not default to Wayne Gretzky as the #1 ATD pick overall.

Irato99

Nov 8, 2010
I like this question.

For me, all he would have needed to do was attempt to play his position defensively and be reasonably effective at it. That is, average defensively. I think it would have made his production somewhat less extreme, but it would also have resulted in less scoring against his teams as well as more winning.

Just my opinion.
It would have made him more complete for sure, but not better, and it would definitely not mean more winning. Basically what you're saying by dropping production and scoring against is you would consider Gretzky better if he won games 2-1 instead of 8-7. But you realize that either case is a win and, to be honest, you have more chances to win a game when you score 8 goals instead of 2, right?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
I still don't understand how you think Gretzky winning only 1/8 ATDs support your argument?

Come on. Rather obvious.

Gretzky proponents are making outrageous claims about his performance in the O6 - triple digit point totals etc.

All I am saying is that in the ATD, largest fantasy sample space the debated results claims do not reflect such claims.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Come on. Rather obvious.

Gretzky proponents are making outrageous claims about his performance in the O6 - triple digit point totals etc.

All I am saying is that in the ATD, largest fantasy sample space the debated results claims do not reflect such claims.

Wrong, the ATD by design doesn't reflect any claims not just that one. So using that as a way to debunk people's claims is garbage.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
It would have made him more complete for sure, but not better, and it would definitely not mean more winning. Basically what you're saying by dropping production and scoring against is you would consider Gretzky better if he won games 2-1 instead of 8-7. But you realize that either case is a win and, to be honest, you have more chances to win a game when you score 8 goals instead of 2, right?

Hope you realize that the 1947 - 1950 Chicago Blackhawk results disproved your theory once and for all. Since on the ice it is easy to give up 7 goals every game but extremely hard to score 8 goals.

1946-47 NHL Summary | Hockey-Reference.com

1947-48 NHL Summary | Hockey-Reference.com

1948-49 NHL Summary | Hockey-Reference.com

1949-50 NHL Summary | Hockey-Reference.com

First or second each season in goals scored, never made the playoffs. Closest was 7 points out of a playoff spot.

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
Sadly you still do not understand. McCreary had the handedness opportunity that Potvin could never have.

Similar to height opportunities. A 5'8" Leo Boivin could get low and underneath to deliver a proper hip check while a 6' 9" Zdeno Chara would newer be able to get low enough to deliver such a check in the NHL past and present.

Are you nuts? Did you even watch that McCreary hit? There was nothing about handedness about it. McCreary didn't masterfully guide him into the boards and rub him out. And it was not a masterpiece of timing and body position like Robinson on Dornhoefer. Gretzky had has head down for an extended period looking for a pass while skating *along* the blueline. McCreary was in the right place at the right time (from his perspective) and got a lucky opportunity to clock 99 that *very* few ever got.

Never mind. Your position is so silly that I think you simply must be taking the piss. I regret engaging.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

As I said, just my opinion.

Since its just speculation, can't see how you can say it definitely would not mean more winning.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Never mind. Your position is so silly that I think you simply must be taking the piss. I regret engaging.

This response needs to be emphasized.

I am ashamed of myself and other posters who engage a member who chooses to take positions that would make Stan Fischler blush.

Gretzky not a top 10 playoff performer all time? Didn't play the right way? A player with 4 Stanley Cups, the most 40+ point playoffs, four 200+ points seasons and unmatched international success should have played a more rounded game? God knows where he'd rank Lemieux, then. I actually thought my criticism of Gretzky was extreme (that he should have done what was necessary to stay in Edmonton and that he robbed us of even more greatness by CHOOSING to go to Los Angeles), but apparently not.

Yet says nothing of Orr's watered down era.

It's one thing to think differently from the crowd. It's another to enter a discussion with such a view and have no intention to self-reflect on that opinion.

I used to think Hasek was better than Roy. Thanks to the HOH board, I flipped that opinion.

I have long lurked here and enjoy many of the extreme positions posed (bobbyholly, DennisBonvie, Killion), but it is sad when many good assets to HF acknowledge those who give nothing to the community.

Last edited:
Reactions: Killion

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
If Gretzky played in the O6 era:

1. He'd still outscore everyone else by a country mile
2. His absolute numbers (points per game) would not be as good
3. He might be a bit better defensively, though I think he'd be smart enough to still play to his strengths which is scoring
4. He'd be missing a few teeth

shazariahl

Apr 7, 2009
Gretzky needed Kurri to take the center role defensively. That implies he had to cover up a weakness in Gretzky's game. Yet you also say Gretzky was a decent defensive player.

You say Gretzky was small, but smaller players handled the center's defensive responsibilities throughout hockey. Not a good excuse.

Did Gretzky NEED Kurri to take the center role, or did Sather just prefer it that way, since it played more to both player's strengths? I think probably the later. And Gretzky did have weaknesses in his defensive game; as I mentioned he didn't fight for pucks in the corner, didn't block shots, and didn't clear the net. But he was one of the greatest forecheckers ever and was amazing at forcing turnovers at the point, which is one reason he was so good on the PK. This is why I say he was decent defensively - he had areas where he was very weak, and so the coaching staff used others to fill the role instead. But he had areas on defense where he excelled, and Sather used him in those areas instead. I don't see this as being a contradiction.

Hockey is a team sport, and you don't necessarily need every player to fill the same function; you need SOMEONE who can do the role, but not necessarily everyone. I mean, you don't go out there with 5 Centers, or 6 goalies or something. Gretzky was used to pressure the point, which he excelled at. It seems like this is just good coaching to me; using players in their strength zones and not trying to force round pegs into square holes. If others don't like that Gretzky didn't fight or clear bodies, then that's fine. But for me, I want the guy scoring 200+ points a season to be healthy and in the lineup, scoring his 200 points.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
This response needs to be emphasized.

I am ashamed of myself and other posters who engage a member who chooses to take positions that would make Stan Fischler blush.

Gretzky not a top 10 playoff performer all time? Didn't play the right way? A player with 4 Stanley Cups, the most 40+ point playoffs, four 200+ points seasons and unmatched international success should have played a more rounded game? God knows where he'd rank Lemieux, then. I actually thought my criticism of Gretzky was extreme (that he should have done what was necessary to stay in Edmonton and that he robbed us of even more greatness by CHOOSING to go to Los Angeles), but apparently not.

Yet says nothing of Orr's watered down era.

It's one thing to think differently from the crowd. It's another to enter a discussion with such a view and have no intention to self-reflect on that opinion.

I used to think Hasek was better than Roy. Thanks to the HOH board, I flipped that opinion.

I have long lurked here and enjoy many of the extreme positions posed (bobbyholly, DennisBonvie, Killion), but it is sad when many good assets to HF acknowledge those who give nothing to the community.

.... :laugh: alright alright alright enough enough enough.... Look, I totally get how people would get upset with any number of Canadien58's suggestions, "thesis" if you will however its unfair to suggest that the opinions he's expressed are not being done so objectively. That he's being intellectually dishonest somehow, grossly underrating, under-appreciating, disrespecting Wayne Gretzky the man, the player, his accomplishments which are beyond incredible, amazing. There arent enough superlatives in the english language to even begin.......

So. Rather than rejecting the posters hypothesis & getting upset (and I dont like seeing any of you guys getting upset)... remember, this is all based on conjecture & speculation & one simply must not discount the opinions of in this case someone with over 60yrs worth of in-game, Coaching & Scouting at the entry levels to the elite levels of the game, eyewitness to the 06 era & not a child during its last decade but someone old enough to understand & critically analyse the players & Coaches he was studying.... Who then retroactively over the years studied the game & its players, history; as in "gee, I wonder what happened there" & so on.

Bottom line; Wayne Gretzky would absolutely have excelled & dominated in ANY era however what we would have seen given the era & style of play, pre-requisites, qualifiers, "roundedness" & so on would have been a slightly different version of the Wayne Gretzky we were lucky enough to see throughout the 80's & 90's, or if you were around, from his humble beginnings in Brantford, with the Nats in Toronto, Jr.A in the Sault; his WHA seasons. He was a creature of his era, times. If one casts a critical & objective eye over his play, how he played, what he was capable of & you freeze that, then transport him back in time whole cloth then yes, there would be problems, flaws in his game. However, had he been brought up, inculcated, taught the game, learned it during the earlier era ('s) being discussed here, I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that he would have obediently followed those dictates & in doing so given his vision & determination would have blown people away & shattered every record in the book just as he did in the 80's & 90's.

Distilled down, thats really all C58, Dennis Bonvie & that I myself & others are opining. The past, that era of the 6 teams post War through 67 was a different country, they do things differently back there. Wayne wouldve absolutely loved it, absolutely wouldve thrived, excelled beyond imagining. Im certain of that. Like Howie Morenz meets Max Bentley meets Stan Mikita. On Steroids. He wouldnt have to be much of a fighter, tough guy. He was clean, clean player. Keon, Henri Richard, these guys werent noted pugilists. Morenz, Bentley.... These are all the greatest of the greats coming & going, some one dimensional in fact. Wasnt unheard of but not the "ideal". Gretzky had he been brought up during the late 40's & 50's, came of age in 52, 55, 58.... different version of what we knew & saw, but still a player who wouldve turned the game on its head. I'm certain of it.... and oh how I would have loved to have seen his battles with the likes of Dave Keon, Henri Richard, Stan Mikita & others. Talkin serious Chess matches here.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

squaleca

Jan 3, 2017
if wayne played in the 70's or prior with all the extra ice room he would have avg 3 points per game you do the math

squaleca

Jan 3, 2017
whatever adjusted era stats you want to throw at him if you take away 50 percent of his points hes still top 15 all time so yea i say hes way overrated notttt!!!!

further to that hes less than 300 points behind mario if you take away 50 percent of his points

squaleca

Jan 3, 2017
theres so many ifs with other players how about if wayne doesnt get hit in 91 3500 points is a possibilty

squaleca

Jan 3, 2017
you want to say mario is better bobby is better fine you have your opionins but when you diminish wanye and say the other guys are way better well than you just sound stupid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->