Speculation: If Garth grew balls last season?

Bosnyi

Bruins-islanders
Apr 10, 2014
massachusets
Garth did his job this season and more *slow clap*:handclap:
May we take a moment of silence to honor this . . .

But if he spontaneously grew balls last season would you have been as happy? With the flush goalie market and bruins/ hawks cap crunch. Who couldve he signed last season? Discuss

Thatguystevie

Jan 26, 2014
I rememeber reading he made moves for Schneider, bernier, bryzgolov and emery last season. So maybe one of them.

bstash19

Apr 8, 2012
long island
i think if garth landed one of those goalies. he would have been done. i don't think he really realized he needed more than just a goalie until last year.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
It takes two to tango. Garth said he's always been trying. No reason to not believe him. These moves + vanek move say as much.

Fan101

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Picking up one of them may have won us a few more games but probably not get into the playoffs. Also factor Nelson, Strome, Lee and others were still getting NHL experience as well. With JT's injury and poor record the pressure was off and they played with a lot less pressure and gained experience. The sale of the team outlook was murky so financially they were still low budget. Moneywise the Vanek trade was offset by sending away Moulson's salary and even Nabby's salary was low for a starter which was replaced by low salaries for Poulin and Nilsson. The strategy was to keep it a young low budget team.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Garth did his job this season and more *slow clap*:handclap:
May we take a moment of silence to honor this . . .

But if he spontaneously grew balls last season would you have been as happy? With the flush goalie market and bruins/ hawks cap crunch. Who couldve he signed last season? Discuss

I'll go with the correlation that Wang had not yet sold the team last season...so, penny pinching was still in play.

MichaelK

Mar 13, 2004
Garth did try last year dealing Moulson for Vanek which was an improvement. It is not Garth's fault that JT got hurt and the expected market at the trade deadline paled in comparison to what players were going for in past seasons. Looking at what the prospect pool is like compared to where we were before Garth took over as GM it does appear that Garth and the people around him do have the ability to scout the junior leagues/minors, but with Chuckie Wang controlling the money we cannot completely see what they can do with pro talent. I will say that despite having Garth as GM and Fred Flintstone behind the bench you do not see the public displays criticizing the franchise by ex-Islanders that you saw during the Milbury years

giddy up*

I'll go with the correlation that Wang had not yet sold the team last season...so, penny pinching was still in play.

Bingo. End of story.

Who are we kidding here? We all know the financial handcuffs finally came off this summer.

camaro27

Sep 16, 2011
at this point i really dont care about what he or did not do the last 5 or so seasons. was it him was it wang was it people just did not want to play here we will never no 100 percent. all i do no is we have a real team this year and thats all that should matter just saying. hoping for a big win tonight.:handclap:

F127

Feb 10, 2007
at this point i really dont care about what he or did not do the last 5 or so seasons. was it him was it wang was it people just did not want to play here we will never no 100 percent. all i do no is we have a real team this year and thats all that should matter just saying. hoping for a big win tonight.:handclap:

I agree, I for one am sick of looking backwards my focus is on right now. No amount of speculation will change the past.

It's been a long time since we've had a team this deep and I want to enjoy it.

camaro27

Sep 16, 2011
:partytime:
I agree, I for one am sick of looking backwards my focus is on right now. No amount of speculation will change the past.

It's been a long time since we've had a team this deep and I want to enjoy it.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Boston & Chicago weren't in a cap crunch and all the goalies available required big time assets (I think Vancouver wanted Nelson).

The Isles also said they targeted Grabovski as a player they thought would fit this team in the past, but we don't know if they even (or could even) make an offer to him.

I will also add that the Islanders top prospects (Strome, Nelson, Reinhart, Pulock) weren't close to legitimately making this Islanders team. I think this plays a bigger role in it than most people think.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

Fyi, everyone is trying to get to where you are, if they haven't gotten there already. I am about 75% there. As long as Wang doesn't do one of his yearly Wangisms to this club I can get there too. If you Don't know what I mean by a Wangism then... Idk, I won't speculate, but lol.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
HMMM we would probably have Scuderi, Emery, Clarkson and Clowe. People forget how putrid the UFA market was after Bernier and Schneider went on trade day.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
HMMM we would probably have Scuderi, Emery, Clarkson and Clowe. People forget how putrid the UFA market was after Bernier and Schneider went on trade day.

Several things worked proper, IMO.

The financial handcuffs came off with the new ownership and move to Brooklyn, and the market allowed Snow to move as he did.

I've said it for years - 42–1–2 record in college hockey and 2 degrees in administration. He's built for this gig and finally proving it.

I'm glad that he didn't try to push things last season, since I feel that Halak/Johnson/Grabovski/Kulemin/Boychuk/Leddy are what the team needed more, and they effectively cancel out the rushing of prospects that Snow pretty much had to do - whether it be for talent on the roster (Bailey/Tavares) or the cap (Nino.)

He looks like one smart SOB to more people than just me and a few other supporters now, though. :laugh:

Make it 3-0-0!!!! #inGarthwetrust

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Several things worked proper, IMO.

The financial handcuffs came off with the new ownership and move to Brooklyn, and the market allowed Snow to move as he did.

I've said it for years - 42–1–2 record in college hockey and 2 degrees in administration. He's built for this gig and finally proving it.

I'm glad that he didn't try to push things last season, since I feel that Halak/Johnson/Grabovski/Kulemin/Boychuk/Leddy are what the team needed more, and they effectively cancel out the rushing of prospects that Snow pretty much had to do - whether it be for talent on the roster (Bailey/Tavares) or the cap (Nino.)

He looks like one smart SOB to more people than just me and a few other supporters now, though. :laugh:

Make it 3-0-0!!!! #inGarthwetrust

This is a BIG year for eating crow. Some of our fans will be eating a lot of it and it will finally be a true Islander fan board. Less acting like little children and *****ing a moaning about every petty thing. I am one happy Islander fan 3-0-0!!!

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
This is a BIG year for eating crow. Some of our fans will be eating a lot of it and it will finally be a true Islander fan board. Less acting like little children and *****ing a moaning about every petty thing. I am one happy Islander fan 3-0-0!!!

I will say this - our anti-Snow faction had a point, as all things I've argued against could be argued for - that's the fun of debating.

It wasn't until now that Snow showed his hand. He keeps it close to vest and gives doubters ammo for his secrecy. Thankfully, he showed what he's got now.

The difference is in whether the logic behind his approach is worth it. Hem up that PK and keep rolling and there isn't any reason to complain.

I trust him in the organization, and hope he sticks.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

You know that movie where the fire engine arrives kinda late and half the town is burned to the ground? Its a little closer to that. I'd hold off on the whole crow thing.

If you want the real heros it is the two billionaires who bought the club, because without them we wouldn't be where we are right now (Cue all the reality deniers saying it can't be proved. I suppose Santa Claus can't be disproved, therefore, he must exist haha!)

We would be watching Donovan and Strait as the second pairing while Nabokov wheels his walker around to stop a rebound on nights Poulin didn't get the start and praying that CdH and Vis make it back before the November swoon of death.

Yeah...

Last edited:

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
You know that movie where the fire engine arrives kinda late and half the town is burned to the ground? Its a little closer to that. I'd hold off on the whole crow thing.

If you want the real heros it is the two billionaires who bought the club, because without them we wouldn't be where we are right now (Cue all the reality deniers saying it can't be proved. I suppose Santa Claus can't be disproved, therefore, he must exist haha!)

We would be watching Donovan and Strait as the second pairing while Nabokov wheels his walker around to stop a rebound on nights Poulin didn't get the start and praying that CdH and Vis make it back before the November swoon of death.

Yeah...

:clap:

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
I will say this - our anti-Snow faction had a point, as all things I've argued against could be argued for - that's the fun of debating.

It wasn't until now that Snow showed his hand. He keeps it close to vest and gives doubters ammo for his secrecy. Thankfully, he showed what he's got now.

The difference is in whether the logic behind his approach is worth it. Hem up that PK and keep rolling and there isn't any reason to complain.

I trust him in the organization, and hope he sticks.

I agree 100%

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Yeah...

I'll go along with this.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Well, you know who I pin 99% of our woes on. If this year is the yardstick moving forward he will reap a hefty reward and I am all for that.

There is one more really important move that needs making, btw. I think you C which one it is too.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Well, you know who I pin 99% of our woes on. If this year is the yardstick moving forward he will reap a hefty reward and I am all for that.

There is one more really important move that needs making, btw. I think you C which one it is too.

Yes, we both agree on the culprit of all this 15 year mess. I agree that the last person in charge of the bench needs his walking papers.

Thought right now, he does have a .500 record as coach. Impressive considering what he has been allowed to work with. Though he needs to adapt during games.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00