If Draisaitl wins the Art Ross this year..

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
He would be only the second player in history since plus/minus has been tracked to win the Art Ross being a minus player. The Great One is currently the only player ever to win it (93/94) with a -25 rating. That can't be right, can it? Or did I look at it wrong? For the record that's not a knock on Leon, I just found that really interesting if it is true.

Ratatoskr

May 27, 2004
Germany
He would be only the second player in history since plus/minus has been tracked to win the Art Ross being a minus player. The Great One is currently the only player ever to win it (93/94) with a -25 rating. That can't be right, can it? Or did I look at it wrong? For the record that's not a knock on Leon, I just found that really interesting if it is true.
I think you're correct about Gretzky being the only Art Ross winner with a negative +/- (off the top of my head; didn't check).

As for Draisaitl, I'd argue that if he keeps going the way he has recently, he won't have a negative +/- by the end of the season.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
If he doesn’t falter too much he will end up with a positive +/-

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
If you could take off all the minuses for being on the ice when the opponent scored an empty netter, it wouldn't look so bad.

Goaltending in Edmonton was a straight-up disaster for about a month & that din't help things out either.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Minus 30 in a 21 game stretch:

NHL.com Stats

Next worse in that stretch was - 17.

It does tend to splash a bit of cold water on his season.

lol no it doesn’t. Draisaitl and mcdavid are absolutely everything for this team. Now no mcdavid and drai hasn’t missed a beat. Plus minus doesn’t mean shit when you are the whole team

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Only one forward in EDM is a plus player. Kailer Yamamoto. Every other forward is minus.

Very interesting.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
lol no it doesn’t. Draisaitl and mcdavid are absolutely everything for this team. Now no mcdavid and drai hasn’t missed a beat. Plus minus doesn’t mean **** when you are the whole team

Sure it does. You can't totally give up playing defense to try to create offense. He has certainly gotten past that stretch but if players on other teams are producing as well as them while playing more responsible defense, that has value.

You can't deny that's pretty crazy stretch of hockey that Drai himself has acknowledged.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
that’s insane he’s a minus player this year.
Did you watch him in overtime yesterday? He gave it away for two breakaways, but lucky for him Carolina was awful and he ended up assisting the Oilers GWG instead. He is a turnover machine so his plus/minus makes sense.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Sure it does. You can't totally give up playing defense to try to create offense. He has certainly gotten past that stretch but if players on other teams are producing as well as them while playing more responsible defense, that has value.

You can't deny that's pretty crazy stretch of hockey that Drai himself has acknowledged.

True, but no other players in the NHL are producing like them. Drai is pretty far ahead of everyone else

14 point difference in 59 games in crazy. Could be 25 by the end of the season

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
It's definitely strange, a guy like Panarin is a +29 despite not being on a great team, the Oilers are a playoff team with a positive win and goal differential.

His point total is mind boggling at this point, he's been that good offensively.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
It's definitely strange, a guy like Panarin is a +29 despite not being on a great team, the Oilers are a playoff team with a positive win and goal differential.

His point total is mind boggling at this point, he's been that good offensively.

Probably just reinforces the fact that +/- is a mess. Panarin is having an underrated season considering his environment, wish we had s winger with half of his talent

Reactions: tempofound

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
It really is sad that him and McDavid are minus players. Moral of the story: dont give them a PP and the Oilers are easy to beat.
Sad part of that statement is that the Oilers are 19th in PP opprotunities.
There special teams in general are excellent, top 5 pk all season and top PP all season.

The Big Unit

Oct 24, 2009
Plus/Minus isn't an important stat. When his bad December is coupled with the fact that the Oilers are deadly on the pp it makes total sense that he's a minus player. Panarin or anyone else having a better Plus/Minus doesn't make them a better player or more valuable. As for the turnover against Carolina in OT, he was tripped and the refs made an egregious non-call.

Reactions: mcdraividmoto

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
yet the team is 12 games above .500
Must have gotten blown out quite a few times

The Oilers have something like a +12 goal differential, so I'm assuming it's more likely they're a negative team at 5-on-5 play, but their lethal powerplay is bouying that a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad