OT: If Dallas Upsets Colorado, Does Jim Nill Get Some Credit? (mod note post #8)

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Not with Stamkos out of the lineup.

Colorado? Injured. Vegas? Slumping. Tampa? Injured.

/s

Hey man... The Wings wouldn't have won it all in 2008 if both Colorado weren't so injured and Dallas wasn't so worn down from having to play against both Anaheim and San Jose.

/s

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
The shit you choose to get hostile over...

I don't know about you, but I had given up on Nill's regime.
His drafting was largely bad. The franchise was going nowhere and then he goes out and signs to old-and-past-it guys in Perry and Pavelski...and it just reeks of desperation.
I actually cringed at his summer signings.
And here he is, going to the Stanley Cup Finals despite losing his coach midyear over some alcohol issue and replacing him with a guy virtually nobody thought could coach a team far in the playoffs.

This is one of the craziest rides to the finals I can think of.

switching coaches in the middle of the year matters a hell of a lot less when every team stopped playing for like 5 months in the middle of the season before the Playoffs started

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
switching coaches in the middle of the year matters a hell of a lot less when every team stopped playing for like 5 months in the middle of the season before the Playoffs started

I guess.
Does it make it more remarkable do you that their coach hasn't been a head coach in the NHL since 2004?
That he hadn't started a season as head coach since 97-98 - when Sergei Fedorov was holding out without a contract after the Red Wings won their first cup in 40 years.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I guess.
Does it make it more remarkable do you that their coach hasn't been a head coach in the NHL since 2004?
That he hadn't started a season as head coach since 97-98 - when Sergei Fedorov was holding out without a contract after the Red Wings won their first cup in 40 years.

it's certainly a bit of an oddity but i'd say under this seasons weird circumstances roster familiarity from being an assistant there for a season and a half or so probably goes a long way towards balancing it out

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hey man... The Wings wouldn't have won it all in 2008 if both Colorado weren't so injured and Dallas wasn't so worn down from having to play against both Anaheim and San Jose.

/s

The greatest possession team since they started tracking it probably would have. They really should have come out of that four to five year period with at least 2 cups bare minimum considering how good they were at the start of the cap era.

Reactions: Ricelund and Henkka

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The greatest possession team since they started tracking it probably would have. They really should have come out of that four to five year period with at least 2 cups bare minimum considering how good they were at the start of the cap era.

Yep.

Just looked for those old playoff stats, and that 2008 team is relatively best of all time (at playoffs) since 2005.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Watching the Wings buzzsaw the Stars that year was pretty funny. I was really hoping that the plucky underdog Stars could put up a fight, but when Robidas is out there logging your top minutes against Zetterberg... yeah, that's gonna be struggle.

Wings were in a class of their own.

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009

Just in case you didn't see it, I tried to act like a young person with that "/s". As in end of sarcasm. Because I actually agree. If anyone needs a visual reminder of the suffocating possession they enforced, I would say the last 6 or 7 minutes of the end of Game 3 against Colorado and (most of) the 3rd period against Pittsburgh in Game 6 are examples of it off the top of my head from that run.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Just in case you didn't see it, I tried to act like a young person with that "/s". As in end of sarcasm. Because I actually agree. If anyone needs a visual reminder of the suffocating possession they enforced, I would say the last 6 or 7 minutes of the end of Game 3 against Colorado and (most of) the 3rd period against Pittsburgh in Game 6 are examples of it off the top of my head from that run.

Used to the little emoji and totally did miss that. Think somehow in my brain I saw /s as close thread...:laugh:

FabricDetails

Mar 30, 2009
Used to the little emoji and totally did miss that. Think somehow in my brain I saw /s as close thread...:laugh:

Although, I'm assuming you're referencing some numbers when you said "tracking possession." You talking like Corsi for %? Because I've actually never seen that team's numbers in comparison to other playoff teams/cup winners so if you know of a website where I can look at that, please share! That 2008 team felt like magic to me and I don't think I've ever really looked at the numbers with historical context.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Although, I'm assuming you're referencing some numbers when you said "tracking possession." You talking like Corsi for %? Because I've actually never seen that team's numbers in comparison to other playoff teams/cup winners so if you know of a website where I can look at that, please share! That 2008 team felt like magic to me and I don't think I've ever really looked at the numbers with historical context.

I think it's pretty telling, if Dallas Drake had the lowest 5-on-5 CorsiFor% on that team at the playoffs.

With a figure of 52.8%. Lowest. on. that. team. :eek:

Zetterberg and Lebda had highest at 65.8%.

It was a machine firing on all cylinders.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Watching the Wings buzzsaw the Stars that year was pretty funny. I was really hoping that the plucky underdog Stars could put up a fight, but when Robidas is out there logging your top minutes against Zetterberg... yeah, that's gonna be struggle.

Wings were in a class of their own.
Drake absolutely abused Robidas and Daley in that series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad