• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Is there a rule against goalies wearing the C or A? Not asking because I think one of our guys should be on the list, but just not recalling seeing it.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Is there a rule against goalies wearing the C or A? Not asking because I think one of our guys should be on the list, but just not recalling seeing it.
They can't officially act as Captain on the ice but they can be Captain in pretty much every other capacity. I believe that was the case with Luongo at one point

Reactions: Dr Hook

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I voted Bergeron for obvious reasons. I'm slightly irritated that they didn't pass the torch to him already. Chara has shown to be a great leader though, so I can understand it.

I'm 99% sure I heard someone say that Bergeron literally doesn't want the C while Chara is on the team, and I can get that. Multiple, multiple interviews with teammates, former teammates, other captains, coaches, and GMs all point to Chara being an excellent leader. Without being in the locker room, none of us can outline all the specifics as to what he does, but we can look at the results: 13 seasons, 3 trips to the SCF, 1 win. Especially if you consider the tools he was given in the early years, that's a pretty good record.

So, Bergy getting the C before Chara left would be awkward at best, and detrimental at worst. I also know that Chara has referred to Bergy as his co-captain on more than one occasion; I think I've seen it on Chara's Instagram. There's no need to pass the torch. Bergeron has been co-captaining behind the scenes for years now, and when the time comes, he'll be a great captain.

There's no way to predict after Bergeron. Trades, acquisitions, etc., are far too unpredictable to even hazard a guess. Granted, it sadly may be sooner than later - there are only 3 active NHLers older than 40 according to Wikipedia (and, no, that doesn't include EBUGs). If Chara retired now, that would give Bergeron 5-6 more years before he gets into that stratospheric range.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I will say, I think it's amazing that Chara is the longest serving captain and Bergeron is the longest serving alternate captain in the league. Can't imagine it's too often where both are on the same team, and where both have served in that capacity for what, almost 15 years?

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Yup, there is a rule against goalies wearing a C. Teams used to use goalie captains to delay the game while the goalie would leisurely skate over to talk to the officials.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I'm 99% sure I heard someone say that Bergeron literally doesn't want the C while Chara is on the team, and I can get that. Multiple, multiple interviews with teammates, former teammates, other captains, coaches, and GMs all point to Chara being an excellent leader. Without being in the locker room, none of us can outline all the specifics as to what he does, but we can look at the results: 13 seasons, 3 trips to the SCF, 1 win. Especially if you consider the tools he was given in the early years, that's a pretty good record.

So, Bergy getting the C before Chara left would be awkward at best, and detrimental at worst. I also know that Chara has referred to Bergy as his co-captain on more than one occasion; I think I've seen it on Chara's Instagram. There's no need to pass the torch. Bergeron has been co-captaining behind the scenes for years now, and when the time comes, he'll be a great captain.

There's no way to predict after Bergeron. Trades, acquisitions, etc., are far too unpredictable to even hazard a guess. Granted, it sadly may be sooner than later - there are only 3 active NHLers older than 40 according to Wikipedia (and, no, that doesn't include EBUGs). If Chara retired now, that would give Bergeron 5-6 more years before he gets into that stratospheric range.
I wonder how many more years Bergeron will play. I think next season is the last one on his current contract? I wonder if he'll sign year by year like Chara or if he's looking for a multiple year contract again.

I do think Chara and Bergeron function as co-captains and probably have for a while. Selfishly I sometimes wish they'd split the C like they do the other A, but ultimately it's just a letter on the laundry and probably means more to the fans than the team. The players know who the leaders are.

aguineapig

When it comes to Z and Bergy the old adage "It doesn't matter if you win or lose, it's how you play the game" should be amended to add "and who you play it with".I know this is the Pros, they're the big boys they play for money etc. But to watch these two night in night out for over a decade has been a pleasure and an honor win or lose. It's as if the ghosts of Milt Schmidt and Dit Clapper have come back amongst us to remind us of the great tradition of what being a Boston Bruin has meant to the fans and the city for nearly one hundred years. They have both earned the ultimate letter which is neither the "C" or the "A". It is "L" for Legacy, Leader and Legend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad