If Byram is cleared, should he play in the postseason?

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
I was having a conversation with a few others in the injury thread about this and was a bit surprised by the responses so I thought I'd make a general thread so as not to derail that one, and get a feel for what HfAvs thoughts were in general. So I ask you this:

If Byram were healthy, should he play?

If no, what is your reasoning? Better players ahead of him in the depth chart? Needs more experience? Please discuss.

Also if someone could add a simple yes/no poll or inform me on how it's done,I'd appreciate it. This is my first thread and could not find the option, thanks!

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
No. He didn't overly impress me in the season, at least not enough to force another roster player out, and I don't think he's quite ready for prime-time playoff action. Let him recover properly, train and bulk up over the summer, return next year and kick ass. I just don't think throwing him into heavy hitting, big boy hockey is the wisest decision at this time. He'll be a stud, let's not railroad his career by forcing him when we don't need to.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
He's better than Nemeth if healthy. Easy decision. Your best players should be on the ice if they're able to do so. Play him when he's ready.
That’s how I feel as well. He’s played like one of our 6 best defensemen when in and I see this year as our absolute best shot at a cup so we should be icing our best players but there definitely seems to be some hesitation on what to do with him within the fanbase.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I don't wanna throw a rookie in their who hasn't played hockey in 2 months. Nemeth is also useful on PK and has size.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Adding that extra weight absolutely will make a difference. Byram doesn't avoid contact, he doesn't even try to. If he's not going to bet bigger and stronger, he's going to find himself on the IR for long periods during his career.

If he was a more cerebral player, sure, he doesn't need it. But given how he plays? He initiates that contact, he wants it. You aren't going to be able to play that style in the NHL against men if you don't get stronger.

I could get behind this sentiment when talking about explosiveness, balance and whatnot but in terms of durability? I just don’t know how much 10 lbs can effect that to be honest. I feel like if this is an issue moving forward it will be there regardless of if he’s 190 or 200.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Yes. He's easily better than Nemeth, and Graves. We could really use a puck moving Defenseman like him in the 3rd pairing. Graves, Nemeth and Timmins can't carry the puck out of the zone with control like he can. When the team was healthy and he was in, we didn't even let other teams touch the puck.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Keep him an option. I have no issue starting Nemeth, but if he has a poor showing he better be subbed in for MacDonald or Byram, ideally in that order.

I think Byram would bring the most to the team, but he’s going to get banged up if we play him.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Even if medically cleared I imagine the team will want him to practice before they even think about putting him in a game. Even then, at this point MacNorris is ahead of him on the depth chart.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Even if medically cleared I imagine the team will want him to practice before they even think about putting him in a game. Even then, at this point MacNorris is ahead of him on the depth chart.
He actually is already practicing with the team. I also don't think MacD is ahead of him on the depth chart. They also play on different sides, but Bednar has started guys on their off side before.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He actually is already practicing with the team. I also don't think MacD is ahead of him on the depth chart. They also play on different sides, but Bednar has started guys on their off side before.

No I know he is, just saying Bednar will want to get more shakedown time before putting him in a game situation.

At this point, yes I think MacDonald is ahead of him. Whether that changes with time, who knows, but if Nemeth were to suddenly come down with a case f Montezuma's Revenge, I’m willing to bet the coach would go with MacNorris.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
If MacDonald can't get Nemeth out of the lineup, then I don't see Byram doing it. As much as we make fun of MacD for the Norris stuff, he's been really good and reliable (fantastic first pass on that guy) in my opinion. Nemeth is there purely for the PK and the physical stuff. I don't necessarily agree with that, but if his play earlier on didn't get him out of the lineup, I'm not convinced anything will. This is the issues some of us worried about with the makeup of our defense. Somebody has to kill penalties and be able to clear the front of the net. I like that our defense is built around guys who can move the puck, but the fact that the coaches feel they need Nemeth just highlight how badly EJ is missed by this team.

So, the only way I see Byram getting in is if injuries hit or Timmins really plays poorly.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
If Bednar didn't consider him a legitimate option to play this postseason he wouldn't be practicing with the team. He'll play when he's ready, and the upgrade from Nemeth to Byram will be significant.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yes. Not in game 1 or anything. But if the Avs get a healthy lead that would be an opportune time to get him in. Honestly if he’s healthy I don’t know why he didn’t play the last 2 Eagles games of the year

Reactions: missionAvs

LostInMosEisley

A wretched hive of scum and villany
Aug 18, 2020
I just hope the medical staff is keeping his long term health as the top priority. There's a long history in sports of player's long term health being sacrificed for short term goals, so it's not like we can take it for a given this will be the case. I don't think that would be the case with the Avs and Byram (mostly because Byram's long term future is intertwined with the Avs long term future), but it still unfortunately needs to be stated clearly. Also medicine is not an exact science... mistakes can be made.

That being said, if he's genuinely healthy and there's no increased risk of re-aggravating if he plays now vs. if he plays next season, I think he's going to be one of the best options for the Avs and he should play.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
Something about putting a rookie with limited experience coming off a concussion who hasn't played in a while right into the playoffs against a heavy team like the Blues seems like a very bad idea to me.

Skill wise though, I think he's more than capable of playing that bottom pair. And I definitely want to see it happen. Just makes me nervous.

Reactions: NOTENOUGHJOSTTHINGS

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Play the best 6. With the way our injuries typically work out, I'm guessing we won't have much of a choice anyway. If he's healthy, he'll be in at some point.

Last edited:
Reactions: McJedi

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I was having a conversation with a few others in the injury thread about this and was a bit surprised by the responses so I thought I'd make a general thread so as not to derail that one, and get a feel for what HfAvs thoughts were in general. So I ask you this:

If Byram were healthy, should he play?

If no, what is your reasoning? Better players ahead of him in the depth chart? Needs more experience? Please discuss.

Also if someone could add a simple yes/no poll or inform me on how it's done,I'd appreciate it. This is my first thread and could not find the option, thanks!
No doubt. Nemeth is the new Ian Cole. Cole cost the Avs dearly with his no show in the bubble last year. Nemeth is a worse version of Cole.

Nemeth should be a healthy scratch. He’s worthless 5 vs 5 and only provides modest value on the PK. His passing and transition hockey is trash. His brutal skating and gap control or lack thereof is good to concede at least one odd man rush a game. Probably two.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Byram is clearly better than Nemeth, so if he’s healthy, play him.

The guy is a gamer and looked right at home ever since he stepped into the NHL.

Reactions: Foppa2118

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
He will certainly play in the playoffs, but I don't think he should be thrown in for Game 1 (against the Blues). His last game was March 25th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad