If building a team from scratch. Rank these priorities

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Rank these priorities from 1 to 4. What would be your top priority?
  • Solid two way centers
  • Solid D core with size and mobility
  • Talented coach
  • Top level goaltender

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Talented coach
2way Cs
Big mobile dmen
Goalie

I think vegas in their first season is a good enough example of how far great coaching can take you. But they did have all 4 of these categories.

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
2-way C's
Mobile defenceman
Goalie
Coach

They are all important in their own way, but I feel like 2 way top 6 centers are the hardest to acquire. And coaches are the easiest to acquire, as long as the franchise is willing to spend the money to get the coach. Building a good defensive core could be tough, but there seems to be more defenceman available than top 6 centers, and I rank them ahead of goaltending because goalies are voodoo and the least consistent position by far.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
1. A good elite D-pair...
2. Pair of talented goalies (low cost, good potential, possibly stress proven & high value)
3. Someone with game breaking talent...
4. Young fast and hard working versatile players in 0,7-3M range
5. Coach

BBBruins

Apr 24, 2017
1. Solid D core with size and mobility
2. Talented coach

3/4. Solid two way centers - Top level goaltender (I can't say which of these is more important)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
  • Solid two way centers
  • Talented coach
  • Top level goaltender
4. Goalie
3. Coach
2. Centers
1. Defense core

You need to build that d core first because dmen age better than forwards and take longer to hit their primes. As for goalies, that's the one item on the list I could see me being wrong about. But, in a rebuild a top goalie might get shelled. But definitely draft a bunch of them early on to have a pipeline.

In the end the coach might be most important but you can add that later in the rebuild

Reactions: rocketdan9

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
1. Solid D core with size and mobility
2. Talented coach

3/4. Solid two way centers - Top level goaltender (I can't say which of these is more important)

1. Seems to be more of a trend these days

Big, mobile, iq

Its a slippery slope. If big but slow ... could be an issue. Or big but low iq.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
  • Solid two way centers
  • Talented coach
  • Top level goaltender

Tough one. I'd personally go:
- Top level goalie
- Solid D core
- Solid 2-way center
- Talented coach

Obviously you'd all of them on a contender, but a team that has solid D, solid C, and great coach will still lose if they don't have a solid goalie.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Tough one. I'd personally go:
- Top level goalie
- Solid D core
- Solid 2-way center
- Talented coach

Obviously you'd all of them on a contender, but a team that has solid D, solid C, and great coach will still lose if they don't have a solid goalie.

Yessss

Though outlier examples like Crawford, Niemi = still can win

Reactions: abo9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Yessss

Though outlier examples like Crawford, Niemi = still can win

Yeah, and I see it as "what's more tough to obtain". It seems like if you have a top level goalie, you're set for a decade +. If you don't, you're looking forever while your core diminishes in quality (Hurricanes, Flyers, etc.)

Of course, quality centers and D's are very tough to come by as well, I might inverse their order but it seems like finding a D to fill a certain positional need (LD or RD) is tougher at times than acquiring an O'Reilly-type center.

Coaching wise, I think it's super important to have a great development pipeline in, but usually coaches get canned pretty fast so finding a good one when the team is ready is pretty "easy" compared to the other positions

Reactions: rocketdan9

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
1-2-4-3

Right now there are some really good coaches available if you are willing to pony up the cash. Every offseason there's a whole host of free agent coaches that can fit your needs. Seattle is courting Rick Tocchet, Gallant was just a free agent coach, theres a handful of Claude Julien/ Torts/ Therrien/ Roy level coaches out there that could bring structure to your team until you are ready for a higher level coach (if you didnt see those guys as your long term fix). There's a lot of promising up-and-comers too, Lambert, Groulx, Gronborg etc. The problem isnt coaching availability, its teams not wanting to spend on coaches. Even though it would be the first hire, it would be the least impact choice long term.

I put goalies as second last because of long term indications. If you lock up your centres and d long term, in 5 years you'll still have a strong core. If you lock up a borderline goalie long term, you are in a heap of trouble. Over the course of your first few years, a lot of options to get a goalie will present itself through UFA or trades or whatever. Its an easier problem to fix imo

Centres I picked above D just because of how hard it is to get centres. D seems to be just a matter of draft luck + good predictive analytics (ie Vegas scouting Theodore and realizing his potential) but centres are really only mostly found through the draft, a team with bad D can gradually improve but a team with no centre depth seems bound for long term mediocrity.

3B

Sep 13, 2002
London Ontario
1 -Solid D core with size & mobility
2- Top level goalie
3- Talented coach
4-Solid 2 way center

1 or 2 ranking could go either way for me

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
1-2-4-3

Right now there are some really good coaches available if you are willing to pony up the cash. Every offseason there's a whole host of free agent coaches that can fit your needs. Seattle is courting Rick Tocchet, Gallant was just a free agent coach, theres a handful of Claude Julien/ Torts/ Therrien/ Roy level coaches out there that could bring structure to your team until you are ready for a higher level coach (if you didnt see those guys as your long term fix). There's a lot of promising up-and-comers too, Lambert, Groulx, Gronborg etc. The problem isnt coaching availability, its teams not wanting to spend on coaches. Even though it would be the first hire, it would be the least impact choice long term.

I put goalies as second last because of long term indications. If you lock up your centres and d long term, in 5 years you'll still have a strong core. If you lock up a borderline goalie long term, you are in a heap of trouble. Over the course of your first few years, a lot of options to get a goalie will present itself through UFA or trades or whatever. Its an easier problem to fix imo

Centres I picked above D just because of how hard it is to get centres. D seems to be just a matter of draft luck + good predictive analytics (ie Vegas scouting Theodore and realizing his potential) but centres are really only mostly found through the draft, a team with bad D can gradually improve but a team with no centre depth seems bound for long term mediocrity.

How about Avs... who are strong in the center department? Or Leafs?

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
1. Defencemen
2. Two way forwards
3. Coach
4. Goalie

I think you should add star forward as one of the options because you need someone to score some goals.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Goalies are voodoo. Just remember that one of the Vezina finalists still left in the playoffs was considered a cap dump no team would take for free last fall. So don't take the goalie.

Coach is really important, but they change more often, and still need talent

I'll take the D over the Cs because D core means 4-5 good pieces and C's means 2-3.

Reactions: Hatfield

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad