If Brett Hull Played For Canada...

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Team Canada from 1998 gets a bad rap. They played better as a whole than the 2002 team.

2002 was a bit fortunate that they missed having to play Sweden in the elimination round, and the 98 team was unfortunate that they ran into a goalie playing the best stretch of hockey ever seen (Hasek 96-00) in a one game elimination.

Transported Upstater

John Flyers Fan said:
Team Canada from 1998 gets a bad rap. They played better as a whole than the 2002 team.

2002 was a bit fortunate that they missed having to play Sweden in the elimination round, and the 98 team was unfortunate that they ran into a goalie playing the best stretch of hockey ever seen (Hasek 96-00) in a one game elimination.

I've still never seen a goalie dominate like that since.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
John Flyers Fan said:

Give me a break! Sweden won a game against Canada when they didnt even know each other. No way Sweden beats Canada in the semi finals. Canada got better every game and they stomped the US in the Gold Medal game. And as for the '98 team they had rotten offense. But if oyu have Corson, Linden, Zamuner on your team I guess you will. Besides in every tournament I'll always bet the farm that Swden chokes, cause theyt always do (think '98, '02 and '04).

Anyways, if Hull was on Canada in '96 Canada would have won. It was Hull's goal that tied it in Game 3. he had two goals that night. By '98 Hull still was a potent sniper and would have made the team. Woudl they have won I dont know? But by '02 he was a shadow of his former self, and I cant see him replacing anyone on Team Canada.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Big Phil said:
Give me a break! Sweden won a game against Canada when they didnt even know each other. No way Sweden beats Canada in the semi finals. Canada got better every game and they stomped the US in the Gold Medal game. And as for the '98 team they had rotten offense. But if oyu have Corson, Linden, Zamuner on your team I guess you will. Besides in every tournament I'll always bet the farm that Swden chokes, cause theyt always do (think '98, '02 and '04).

Anyways, if Hull was on Canada in '96 Canada would have won. It was Hull's goal that tied it in Game 3. he had two goals that night. By '98 Hull still was a potent sniper and would have made the team. Woudl they have won I dont know? But by '02 he was a shadow of his former self, and I cant see him replacing anyone on Team Canada.
yeah, Hull's goal tied it, and then the US just ripped apart canada from the seems and destroyed them.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Brett Hull would have easily made '96 and '98 IMO. He was too old for 2002 though.

He wouldn't have replaced Zamuner though, since they brought Zamuner over many more talented players for a reason

nikebauer

Jul 21, 2005
Vancouver
Big Phil said:

Agreed with Zamuner and Corson, but Linden is definitely not weak defensively :amazed:

habs_24x

Sep 12, 2002
montreal
Visit site
if i remember correctly, Hull was at a Canadian Olympic tryout long ago and was cut. He then got upset and tried out for the US team and the rest is history...
i think thats how it played out...

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
habs_24x said:
if i remember correctly, Hull was at a Canadian Olympic tryout long ago and was cut. He then got upset and tried out for the US team and the rest is history...
i think thats how it played out...

That's what I heard. I was under the impression that he was bitter for not making the team and took advantage of his dual citizenship.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
alanschu said:
That's what I heard. I was under the impression that he was bitter for not making the team and took advantage of his dual citizenship.
Yeah, that's how it started, but he's also lived in the US pretty much his entire adult life so he was also sticking with the US because it was his home in addition to being loyal for giving him a shot years back. He's living in Dallas since retiring because he can play golf year-round.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
the only thing bitter is canadians who whine that he is a traitor. There would be no whining if he wasn't good. It is just petty jelousy.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
JaykaShman said:
If Brett Hull played for Team Canada in international events, does he make the team in Nagano? Salt Lake? The World Cup team? If so, who does he replace?

Off the top of my head I'd say he'd replace Rob Zamuner in 98.. but I still can't remember why Zamuner was there anyways.

for the same reason Kirk Maltby played for Canada in the recent World Cup.

BigStar

Mar 30, 2004
Saint John
Fish on The Sand said:
the only thing bitter is canadians who whine that he is a traitor. There would be no whining if he wasn't good. It is just petty jelousy.

i agree! he tried for the canadian team and they cut him. the US said come try for us....and he made it...no biggie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->