If Bobby Orr was a forward?

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by maxpowers, May 6, 2007.

View Users: View Users
  1. maxpowers

maxpowers Registered User

Hey, sorry if this is one of those thread topics that pops up every few months, but I was wondering how everyone here thinks Orr would have done if he played forward instead of defence?

His career highs were 46 goals, 102 assists, and 139 points. He won the Art Ross twice. If he was a forward for his full career how would these stats and his awards be affected?

Also how do you think the Bruins would have done, could they have won more than 2 cups in that time.

I personally think that as a defender Orr was able to play more minutes and prevent goals as well as score them and was probably a more effective player because of this. Since he was given relatively free reign around the ice his point totals may not significantly increase in a position change to forward.

Thoughts?

2. Bear of Bad News

Bear of Bad News HFBoards Escape Goat

Follow-up question:

If Dan Cloutier was a goaltender?

3. BNHL

BNHL Registered User Sponsor

Neuroscientist
    I'd suspect you'd see a 50% increase in his points as well as a Selke winner (when did that start?). Imagine if he had a 40-50 foot head start regularly. They'd be forced to keep both defenseman back and 2 players against 1 Orr is suicide. I'd predict regular 180-220 point output while fighting his own battles and providing superb 2 way play with less minutes.

4. ilovehockey

ilovehockey Registered User

If that was the case Boston would of put him on forward.

5. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

220 points would be a bit too much I think. I mean Gretzky didnt even get more than 215. You'd have to think that with less ice time he'd get a few less points. The Selke started in 1978 and Bob Gainey was the winner of the first 4 in a row. Orr would have been in contention for it I think. Hard to beat Gainey for those though.

6. Lowetide

Lowetide Registered User

Oh my God that was funny. I'm still giggling like an idiot.

7. I wouldn't want to see that.

From what my dad tells me he's a great player in his zone too.

Maybe he could have been a Rod Brind'amour type player. Extremely good on defence even though he's on offense.

8. Skraut

Skraut Registered User

If Bobby Orr didn't exist, who would these threads be about?

9. LeafsrGods*

LeafsrGods* Guest

Al Macinnis:yo:

10. Bobby Orr

Bobby Orr Guest

Bobby Orr counted to infinity - twice.

In the time in between the countings, he kicked Chuck Norris' ass.

11. Nalyd Psycho

Nalyd Psycho Registered User

Home Page:
    I don't think it would work as well. His team mates would be behind the play too often and he'd have to do it all himself. Huge increase in goals, but a notable decrease in assists.

12. BIG GIFS

BIG GIFS Registered User

:handclap: :yo: :biglaugh:

13. Ogopogo*

Ogopogo* Guest

I have some other great ones:

What if Bobby Orr was a plumber?

He would be able to plunge a toilet in 4 seconds flat, collect on the bill and be to the next house while other plubmers are all still at the shop trying to pull up their pants.

What if Bobby Orr was an astronaut?

He would have landed on the moon in 1963, Mars in 1967 and he would have walked on the sun by 1974. Neil Armstrong would have been fired by NASA and become a shoe salesman in suburban Houston.

What if Bobby Orr had endorsed Hawkins cheezies rather than Planters peanuts?

Planters would have gone out of business in 1978 and the CEO of planters would have ended up homeless, banging sticks on a plastic bucket to make music and generate a few coins from passers-by.

Hawkins would have become the largest and most powerful snack food company on the planet and have battled with Wal-Mart and Microsoft for the title of largest company in the world.

What if Bobby Orr was born female?

Bobbi Orr would have only won 6 Norris Trophies and peaked out at 125 points in her best season. She would also have married Phil Esposito.

Last edited by moderator : May 7, 2007
  14. PhansterZ

PhansterZ Registered User

Yeah, maybe he'll be as good as Brind'amour. ;)

Kidding aside, I don't think his points total would increase that much. From the highlights I've seen, he did cut into the offensive zone like a forward.

15. sparr0w

sparr0w Registered User

Doesn't work like that. Part of his effectiveness was being able to wind up and use that gap from his position to the opposing players to build up a head of steam. Similar sorts of arguments were used with Fedorov in the midst of the various blueline experiments by Bowman. Lining him up on the blueline gave him extra ice to work with and free up his amazing skating. It's a lot harder to cover a mobile defenseman jumping up among 3 forwards than it is one forward among the three.

16. BNHL

Neuroscientist
    Sorry but he was at full speed in 3-4 strides and now he'd find himself as a winger covering a point on defense. In a lot of cases he'd be behind the forwards and on top of the defense before they knew it. His less minutes and reduced defensive responsibility gives you a stronger,more rested player. I'd love to see him doing his cat and mouse game around the net in the offensive zone.

17. BNHL

Neuroscientist
    Well since I think he exceeded Gretzky in every facet of the game,I believe he would have outscored him when his primary role became offense.

18. Snap Wilson

Snap Wilson Registered User

If Bobby Orr had come up today, he probably would be a forward. Today's NHL prefers their offensive d-men to be point men, not puck rushers.

19. BNHL

Neuroscientist
    I think we're forgetting that his value on defense was greater than any other defenseman's while scoring at a rate better than the best forwards.

20. Psycho Papa Joe

Psycho Papa Joe Porkchop Hoser

Forensic Accountant
    Home Page:
    I'm not sure how many points he would have earned, but considering he was more talented than Espo, who got 154, 160+ points wouldn't be out of the question. I'll also argue, that if he was a forward he may have been healthier and may have had a longer career, but that's just speculation on my part.

21. Snap Wilson

Snap Wilson Registered User

When he was playing defense, sure. When he was acting as a fourth forward, he relied on Awrey quite a bit. Not taking anything away from Orr, but he did take a lot of risks. That doesn't go over too well in today's NHL, which is why he would probably have come up as a forward.

22. Sens Rule

Sens Rule Registered User

I think he would have got around the same number of points. Same with Coffey if he played forward. You might see a few more goals or a few less assists.

Thing is both of these guys had completely free reign to do anything they wanted on the ice so it isn't like they could play more offensively. They already played all out offence all the time. (not that they couldn't play defence but they would break up plays as any player forward or not would try to do. Their defence was mainly attempting to get possession of the puck and go on offence.

Bobby Orr's best defence was his offence.

23. Sens Rule

Sens Rule Registered User

Espo got 152 points. Espo got so many goals hanging around in front of the net. Finishing plays by Orr and other Boston players. Orr as a forward is not going to be sitting around the slot waiting for rebounds. He still would be the one with the puck controling plays. Orr got points at a similar clip to Esposito. And Esposito was a major contributer to how many points Orr got. Esposito was a great player in his own right. In 1972 he was Team Canada's best player sans Orr.

The Bruins had the 2 best players in the NHL for a 5 or 6 year stretch.

24. BNHL

Neuroscientist
    Comparing Orr and Coffey is like comparing Socrates to Moe Howard. Orr was stellar defensively,continually blocking shots,disrupting offenses and doing all the dirty work. Paul Coffey was a perfectly placed fourth forward with average defensive effort.

25. Ogopogo*

Ogopogo* Guest

Actually, it is more like comparing Willie Mays to Reggie Jackson. Orr was definitely better.

People love to bash Coffey - perhaps becaue he intimidated Orr fans?