If Babcock stays, do Dubas and Keefe go?

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Dubas likely isn't even close to leaving, which is a good thing

Fully agree

Dubas is a bright young mind, and yes maybe a tad green with some things, but his intelligence is off the charts.

I also think he will draft well, scout well, and really keep building a solid foundation.

Babcock and his staff on the other hand, they have done as much as needed, it's time for a new voice and system.

WildWolfdog

Dec 4, 2008
Nylander is a horrible contract and cap space would be better for what he gives game 83 and on.

Matthews is a terrible deal for the term.

And baby blanket boy for $11 schmilliakkis? Oy vey. Tavares swapped out for even a number 2 d instead and it’s laughter all the way to round 2

This is an easy ignore.

Reactions: NCoRe

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Dubas is over his head. Andersen is not a playoff goalie. Gardner & Andersen messing up again in game 7 is unacceptable.
Um, how exactly does Andersen not being a playoff goalie mean Dubas is over his head? He didn't trade for him or sign him...

Reactions: Mork

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Nobody will be going anywhere, Dubas will GM and Babs will coach with a few players leaving and a few incoming. A clutch goalie incoming would be nice though.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
What terrible contracts did he saddle us with? The Nylander contract after one year of off play? Maybe the franchise centre who was great in the playoffs?
Lets not kid ourselves with thinking Nylander's contract is only bad because of an 'off' season. Plus getting Matthews at only five years taking him straight to FA is criminal

Dubas is staying but he most certainly needs help with contract negotiations. Never once had he handled them prior and these agents are like sharks in the water, they smell blood.

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
Leafs won't win a round with this entitled brat boy as GM.

Not sure where you get your stuff from, but keep going. Maybe the Leafs should dump Dubas and rehire Fletcher full time, or Burkie?

Dubas has done nothing but show results in his short career and I imagine he has worked very hard to get where he is. From his turn around of the Greyhounds, to the new development system the Leafs use for their young players. The eventual Marlies Calder Cup victory, the drafting of Sandin, the trade for Muzzin (great trade), and the signing of Tavares. And guess what sports fans, it doesnt matter what opinions people may or may not have on how Tavares ended up a Leaf. It happened solely under Dubas and as such he gets credit. Just as people are planning on stringing him up for contract given to Nylander and blaming him for future cap problems, he also has to fix CAP problems created by his predecessor such as Marleau.

The biggest issue I have with Dubas is the Sparks decision. Dubas played the percentage on this one and lost. Determining that Sparks being much younger and having just won the AHL championship he chose him. But Im also certain they he and none of us saw both of our backups getting taken away on waivers. It was a poor choice, but it was for backup goalie and in the end didnt make a huge amount of difference.

Looking at this team on paper I dont think there are too many of us that think it played up to its potential this year. This team should have been far better than they were and for me the biggest blame sits squarely on the coaching (which was not a Dubas decision). We just burned our first year of cup contention and do not have a lot of time to play with to just see how things go and Im sure management thinks the same way. If Babcock is still coaching at the start of next year I will have far less faith in Leaf brass. Keefe has been Dubas' guy in the OHL and the AHL and I do not see why he wont continue with this combination of success.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Lets not kid ourselves with thinking Nylander's contract is only bad because of an 'off' season. Plus getting Matthews at only five years taking him straight to FA is criminal

Dubas is staying but he most certainly needs help with contract negotiations. Never once had he handled them prior and these agents are like sharks in the water, they smell blood.

I don’t think the Nylander contract is bad, the cap will go up and the $ will get better as it ages, as Nylander improves (maybe I’m too optimistic) and the cap increases. Maybe it’s an overpay early but the later it goes, the better it’ll be.

The Matthews contract though, was a complete butchering IMO. You locked him up at a more than a fair price, I’m happy with that number but you walk him directly to free agency in the process. If he wanted 11.6 then he should have been getting it over 8 years and not over 5.

That’s the biggest butchering in these contract signings, the fact that you’re going to walk the face of the franchise and arguably the best player on your team (depending on who you ask), right to free agency in what should be the prime years of his career.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto

If Nylander returns to a full season at 60-70 production next year will you be complaining about paying him 6.9 mil. You’ll see what wingers like Laine and Connor will get this summer. The Leafs had to sign Matthews or risk an offer sheet that would probably put him around McDavid money. Kid is going no where

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
If Nylander returns to a full season at 60-70 production next year will you be complaining about paying him 6.9 mil. You’ll see what wingers like Laine and Connor will get this summer. The Leafs had to sign Matthews or risk an offer sheet that would probably put him around McDavid money. Kid is going no where
There was no reason they had to accept five years for Matthews - thats purely a difference in negotiation experience between Dubas and Matthews' agent

Anyone who works in that area of expertise will tell you that experienced agents will take inexperienced negotiators to the woodchopper

And I dont see Nylander as a Leaf next season, I think Dubas moves him.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
No maybe gone after a Lundqvist or Luongo and developed a new one. They'll never win the BIG game with Andersen.
If you mean actual Lundqvist or Luongo, how many Cups have they won? 0. and have you seen them play this year? Wayyy worse than Andersen.

If you mean somebody at that level in their primes, tell me who you would go after and how we go about acquiring one.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Lol there's no way Dubas leaves.

That would be absolutely horrible for his reputation.

He's not someone who wants out, he wants to build a winner.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
If you mean actual Lundqvist or Luongo, how many Cups have they won? 0. and have you seen them play this year? Wayyy worse than Andersen.

If you mean somebody at that level in their primes, tell me who you would go after and how we go about acquiring one.
Both are big time goalies who have gotten past the 1st round. All I say though is Andersen is not the answer in the game that counts, he's proven that. Get a proven big time goalie or find the next Binnington.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Yeah. Babcock can so horrible that when he’s given winners to utilize, he...wins. Look at all the latest cup winners. Show me even one close to as soft as ours. Babcock is fine. It’s our calculator punching office geek that worries me.
Dubas is fine. He is doing a much better job.
It's our Dino smiling old coach that worries me.

Reactions: stopclickbait

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
If Matthews plays like he did this series and the Washington series, the contract is amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad