If Babcock stays, do Dubas and Keefe go?

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Babcock has four more years on his absurd contract and watching this video here really got me thinking, what's to stop Dubas from resigning and getting a GM job somewhere else and hiring Keefe to coach his new team?

I realize MLSE just announced they were pumping up to $50 million into an analytics department but that doesn't get rid of four years of Babcock and that also doesn't guarantee Dubas is staying no matter what.

I'd say we have a reasonably high chance to lose both Dubas and Keefe if Shanny won't pull the trigger on firing his long time buddy and former coach Babcock this summer. Hope Dubas at least gives Shanny an ultimatum before leaving. And at this point who would blame him if he did leave?

Reactions: SwaggySpungo

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Mike Babcock will likely get one more year and this D needs to be revamped. I look forward to seeing what they do without Gardiner's brain farts/soft play and Hainsey's lack of foot speed.

Reactions: Carter IV
Feb 24, 2017
What terrible contracts did he saddle us with? The Nylander contract after one year of off play? Maybe the franchise centre who was great in the playoffs?
Nylander is a horrible contract and cap space would be better for what he gives game 83 and on.

Matthews is a terrible deal for the term.

And baby blanket boy for $11 schmilliakkis? Oy vey. Tavares swapped out for even a number 2 d instead and it’s laughter all the way to round 2

Reactions: hudster

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Sorry everyone! We keep loyal to our Leafs forever but i am not behind a coach like babcock.

Not watching again until he is fired. Thats going to be tough but i had enough of watching him abuse all these players.

Babcock is a loser. Thats what his record going all the way back to detroit indicates anyways.

Feel bad for everyone having to watch babcock mess up this playoff for everyone again.

Babcock is so so overrated.

Feb 24, 2017
Sorry everyone! We keep loyal to our Leafs forever but i am not behind a coach like babcock.

Not watching again until he is fired. Thats going to be tough but i had enough of watching him abuse all these players.

Babcock is a loser. Thats what his record going all the way back to detroit indicates anyways.

Feel bad for everyone having to watch babcock mess up this playoff for everyone again.

Babcock is so so overrated.
Yeah. Babcock can so horrible that when he’s given winners to utilize, he...wins. Look at all the latest cup winners. Show me even one close to as soft as ours. Babcock is fine. It’s our calculator punching office geek that worries me.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Nylander is a horrible contract and cap space would be better for what he gives game 83 and on.

And baby blanket boy for $11 schmilliakkis? Oy vey. Tavares swapped out for even a number 2 d instead and it’s laughter all the way to round 2

People are hilarious, if Nylander returns to form next season that 6 million will look like a bargain. Matthews is locked up for years and you had to fear an offer sheet. Tavares had a career year...move along.

Now to their real issues...Marleau contract a year too long, dealt for cap space relief even if it costs some minor draft picks. Jake Gardiner has to go because he doesn’t know how to play D, Hainsey too old time to go out to pasture. Brown too much money for a 4th liner, dealt for a 5/6 D or draft picks.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Babcocks contract is front loaded. Over 50% of that contract is probably already paid. Money doesnt matter.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

Please quantify for us the collective overpayment we made to Nylander and Matthews.

Feb 24, 2017
Please quantify for us the collective overpayment we made to Nylander and Matthews.
Matthews is fine but Dubas got used and abused rfa 2nd highest playering him for only 5 years of term. And Nylander? Lol cmon man can you even start to defend that?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

you're wasting your breath.

Vito from Woodbridge will be out in full force now on this team and there's no stopping that kind of stupid when it gets rolling.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Matthews is fine but Dubas got used and abused rfa 2nd highest playering him for only 5 years of term. And Nylander? Lol cmon man can you even start to defend that?

Yeah, none of this answered my question.

How much did we overpay Nylander by? How much did we overpay Matthews by? Now add the two figures up. Clearly you've thought this through.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Dubas will be a Leaf much longer than Babcock. But I guess both will be back together for one more season and so Keefe also will wait one more season.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah, none of this answered my question.

How much did we overpay Nylander by? How much did we overpay Matthews by? Now add the two figures up. Clearly you've thought this through.
They are a couple of very talented boys who will earn their contracts + more next year.

People are looking way too much into it. Under a new coach we will see just how good these players are.

Reactions: Carter IV

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Yeah. Babcock can so horrible that when he’s given winners to utilize, he...wins. Look at all the latest cup winners. Show me even one close to as soft as ours. Babcock is fine. It’s our calculator punching office geek that worries me.

Fair enough ;). Gardiner kills us again too. Figures he's a babcock guy ha. I won't miss his mistakes either. He's pretty soft too so thats going to help you in getting possibly a bit tougher dman replacing him

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
Dubas will be a Leaf much longer than Babcock. But I guess both will be back together for one more season and so Keefe also will wait one more season.
This..those who want Dubas gone after one season are so funny, he will be our gm for the next 5 to 10 years and I am. Very ok with that.. This season the assistants will be fired and babcock will have another chance and after 2020 season if he fails Keefe will be out next coach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad