If Atlanta Moves to Winnipeg...

Status
Not open for further replies.

witticism

Jan 9, 2010
Then who moves into the Eastern Conference?

This is a big "what if", but surely Winnipeg wouldn't stay in the East. The Central Division is the prime candidate for a mover, with Detroit, Nashville and Columbus the most eastern.

If I had to wager, I would assume Nashville. Detroit is a much more storied franchise than the others and Eastern teams would be annoyed that such a dominate team would hop Conferences. Columbus is more east than Nashville, but Nashville is closer to the other Southeast Division teams, making it simpler to slide into that division.

With Nashville jumping over into the Southeast Division, Winnipeg could move into the Northwest with Vancouver, Calgary, Colorado and Edmonton allowing Minnesota to move into the more natural Central division. This also maintains the Northwest as an all Canadian western division, mirroring the all Canadian Northeast division.

Now if the other troubled franchises started to move, things would get very interesting... but that is another thread.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I'm going to ignore the semantics of this statement and just answer the question.

Nashville to Southeast.

Winnipeg to Central.

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
Then who moves into the Eastern Conference?

This is a big "what if", but surely Winnipeg wouldn't stay in the East. The Central Division is the prime candidate for a mover, with Detroit, Nashville and Columbus the most eastern.

If I had to wager, I would assume Nashville. Detroit is a much more storied franchise than the others and Eastern teams would be annoyed that such a dominate team would hop Conferences. Columbus is more east than Nashville, but Nashville is closer to the other Southeast Division teams, making it simpler to slide into that division.

With Nashville jumping over into the Southeast Division, Winnipeg could move into the Northwest with Vancouver, Calgary, Colorado and Edmonton allowing Minnesota to move into the more natural Central division. This also maintains the Northwest as an all Canadian western division, mirroring the all Canadian Northeast division.

Now if the other troubled franchises started to move, things would get very interesting... but that is another thread.
Last I checked, Boston (NE) isn't in Canada and neither is Colorado (NW)

Last edited:

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Detroit's made it known to the league for years that they want back in the East.

Exactly, I'm sure they would jump at the chance to join the Eastern Conference, and with their clout as a cornerstone franchise i'm sure they could get what they want with such an opening. That said it would create quite a power vacuum in the West...

witticism

Jan 9, 2010
Last I checked, Boston (NE) isn't in Canada and neither is Colorado (NW)

I was referring to the obvious point that all the Canadian teams in each conference would be in one division (and not spread out within the conference), not that every team in those divisions was Canadian. Apologies for the leap of logic you would have been required to make. :shakehead

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Well, I think it would be difficult to move a city that size. Are we talking Atlanta alone, or the whole metro area?

But if there's room for it anywhere, I suppose it would be in Manitoba.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I'd like to see us in the East as much as any other Wings fan, but you can't deny Nashville to the Southeast, Minnesota to the Central and Winnipeg to the Northwest makes absurd amounts of sense.

Otherwise, we get placed in the Northeast and one Northeast team has to head to the Atlantic with the end result being either Pittsburgh or Philly in the Southeast. Not as horrible as the Western divisions, but still awkward.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Detroit's made it known to the league for years that they want back in the East.

They're at best second in line. When Columbus as admitted into the league, they were told they were to switch conferences with Toronto in 2003. Never happened. Plus, there's no way the Western markets want Detroit to leave, they fill the pockets of western markets who struggle with attendance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad