Ideas for a first game.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
It should be Arizona, make it a home and home.

I hate you already :snide:

I so want to be really mean and cruel and say... wait Arizona have home????

Well it's too late to stop me now.

Arizona could be good, especially if Vegas can beat Arizona in a game that immediately builds a rivalry.... a heated rivalry.... a Red Wings Avs Rivalry lol

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I think some of the above posters are correct in that it should be a team with starpower on it. Give it a dual effect of being the first home game for an expansion team along with another draw related to the opposing team that will give fans some players they'd like to see.

Regionally, though, Arizona makes the most sense.

howlincoyote2k1

Apr 14, 2005
Provo, Utah
As a Coyotes fan, mark me down for a Vegas/Coyotes opening night as well. It'll give me plenty of reason to be there to witness Las Vegas' first game, which should be special.

Plus, having a real, true, legitimate regional rivalry will help both teams immensely.

DJ Omnimaga

Sep 23, 2012
Québec City area
codewalr.us
So what team do you think should be Vegas's first game... I assume it would be a home game... be stupid not to be really.

Should it be a geographic rival? LA? Anahiem? Arizona?
The year before's stanley cup winner?
The worst team in the league try to get them that win.?
or another team?

I maybe totally wrong about this, but I would be tempted to say Chicago... it seems everyone from Vegas I know is a Chicago transplant, and I think it could be a good first game match up if a rivalry develops it could be called Mafia Wars lol... sorry I couldn't resist.

But interest into what you chaps think would make a great first game.
Good question. Normally, such historical games involves a potential rival, popular area team or an O6, but the problem is that many Las Vegas visitors will probably cheer for the away team and it would suck if during the first game the arena was louder when the away team cheers (which is very likely IMHO if the opponent is LA). Maybe it could be against Arizona and be marketed as the Battle of the Desert begins or something?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
**** no to Chicago being the 1st team Vegas plays. Do you guys really want the arena to be filled with Chicago bandwagoners on its first game ever?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
**** no to Chicago being the 1st team Vegas plays. Do you guys really want the arena to be filled with Chicago band-wagoners on its first game ever?

I'm a Hawks fan and I don't want that. I'm going to have to confront my split loyalty (Vegas is 1A, for sure) eventually, I don't want it to be the first game though.

Arizona or some Eastern Conference team with little road following for me. I won't name the teams since that got me in trouble last time. :laugh:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
At best they can get 2000 fans in there. No way a single STH misses that first game.

Well, keep in mind that a great many of Vegas' STH are going to be people transitioning from a different fandom to the Black Knights. That's not an easy transition and I would venture to say that a majority - especially older fans - won't make it at all. I speak from years of experience here in Arizona, and while I know that AZ comparos aren't popular around here, the correlation between the transplant populations is too great to ignore. We have multi-year season ticket holders who are Coyotes fans at every game except the ones where their favorite team plays, and then they roll out the Hawks/Sabres/Bruins jerseys and act like they were back in the old neighborhood.

For your first game - the one that will garner all the attention in the hockey world - you want an opponent where you're guaranteed that the home team will have the loudest and most appreciative fans. You won't get that with the Hawks, Kings, or Ducks, IMO.

PSGJ

May 19, 2012
Sweden
For reference, these are the first games for the five last new teams. All except Minnesota started at home.

Nashville played their first game against Florida.

Columbus against Chicago.

Minnesota started with two away games against Anaheim and Phoenix, then played their first home game against Philly.

Atlanta against New Jersey.

Winnipeg 2.0 against Montreal.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Feels like everyone in this region of the country is gonna be trying to get tickets to that first game :laugh: I may just have to get a half or quarter season plan or something. The only reason I haven't is I may be attending law school outside of Las Vegas (stupid that this state only has one law school)

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Feels like everyone in this region of the country is gonna be trying to get tickets to that first game :laugh: I may just have to get a half or quarter season plan or something. The only reason I haven't is I may be attending law school outside of Las Vegas (stupid that this state only has one law school)

Boyd is pretty selective, isn't it? Think you've got a decent shot?

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona

I'm actually thinking about getting season tickets just to make sure I have a ticket to that first game. Will be an amazing experience.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Boyd is pretty selective, isn't it? Think you've got a decent shot?

I got wait listed this time around with a poor lsat score by their (and my) standards. That's why I'm prepping for the test again. My practice scores were around the top 75th percentile before I took it but I panicked on test day. Now I'm prepping even harder. If I still don't get that 162, I'm gonna take it one more time in February after some more prep.

I actually got into Syracuse (which is pretty closely ranked to Boyd) with a scholarship but it wasn't enough to cover the enormous cost so I opted to give the process one more go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad