Ideas for 3 on 3 for Jet's Overtime Hockey

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Laine needs more speed other than that yes, put Buffs and Laine to defend and Scheifele/Wheeler/Ehlers attack, let everyone roam

Apart from ultra fast duo Ehlers and Connor, I fail to see many other Jets that are faster than Laine on open ice, which is the case with 3-on-3 and substantially different than with 5-on-5.

Laine has a very deceptive stride which is kind of antithesis of that of Wheeler or Ehlers. That's why Laine can look slow even when he did beat MacKinnon's time on skills competition and didn't lose a lot for Puljujärvi. MacKinnon & Poolparty are seriously fast skaters.

Laine needs a lot more explosiveness for his first steps, but on open ice in typical 3-on-3 situations he is faster than average Jet, and Jets are pretty fast on average.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Ideas for Jets in 3-3OT

Get possession. Then follow these 4 steps:

1) Don't shoot wide moments later, particularly if you have teammates that have been on the ice for 45 seconds already

2) Don't shoot wide moments later, particularly if you have teammates that have been on the ice for 90 seconds already

3) Don't shoot wide moments later, particularly if you have teammates that have been on the ice for 120 seconds already

4) Don't shoot wide moments later, particularly if you have teammates that have been on the ice for 180 seconds already

Following these 4 steps will insure a record in OT that jumps from a putrid 1-6, to a reasonable 4-3.

Of the 7 OT games that were decided before the shootout, the Jets played firebrand hockey in 6 of them. The only time they've played for possession was against the Sharks last week. The result was a victory.

A .500 record in those other 6 games gives the team an extra 3 points & overtakes Vegas as the top team in the west.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Stretch the ice more. Creating one on one situations.

An attack mindset when a guy comes off of our guys. I see it happening all the time in 3 on 3. Guys floating when a guy defending them switches, there's a second before another player can assume coverage and we don't take advantage of that by moving our feet. Getting wide open for a score.

I think it's just a lack of execution really.

Looks like the Jet's executed very well on the 3 on 3 against Vegas, it was really a matter of luck either way. Jet's were not outplayed --and I think the Jet's hit the post. I still think they need to refine their strategy a little bit.

Good hard fought game by both teams !!!

Reactions: AlphaLackey

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Don’t deploy Buff in OT and after gaining possession...

“Don't shoot wide moments later, particularly if you have teammates that have been on the ice for 180 seconds already”

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Use Morrissey and Myers if you want a D man out there. No more Buf in OT. He is selfish and irresponsible and refuses to change when he should.

Typical game winning goal in OT against the Jets - Buf completely ineffectual, watching the play, as the other team scores the game winning goal. Maurice, with the long term memory of a bee, can't wait for the next OT to put the big man out there due to all of his success on wide open ice. I mean, the best players in the world on wide open ice are the really big, relatively slow ones, right? Certainly not fast, skill players with mountains of stamina. The bigger the better, right? Like if you had the biggest guy in the league, that would be the guy to put out there, right? And leave him out for as long as he wants, right? Like, let him stay out for 2 or 3 minutes if he wants, who cares? After all, it's all just a coin toss in overtime (say some). Players, system, strategy don't matter at all. :help:

Reactions: GNP

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
I'd definitely put Ehlers out there a lot - guys like Wheeler, Connor too (and Scheif when he returns)
Buff can sometimes work magic as well
wheeler always takes too long of a shift and doesnt change when he has chances then stands around and he isnt smart with the puck in cycles and takes dumb shots. hes a on the rush drive the net player that tries to play a fancy perimeter game all imo of course. i wld rather players like laine shief armia ehlers connor even roslovic going before him

Reactions: GNP

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Staple Buff's butt to the bench in OT. That alone would make your success at 3 on 3 improve.

Buff's problem is he always tries the big end to end rush to do it himself, ends up coughing up the puck, is now too tired to get back, finally gets back, now the other team is in our end playing keep away, Buff at this point is close to cardiac arrest because he's been on the ice for 2 minutes now so it's basically a 3 on 2 , and eventually the other team scores.

Last edited:

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Why are the OT questions never posed to PoMO via the media? (or do I miss these). It seems that no one is calling out the coaching directly, other than posts on the internet. I wonder if PoMo actually gets the message (obviously not because appeared Buff was out there in OT for 3 or more minutes).

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
They play quite well as a 5 man unit and just haven’t figured out how to cover that extra ice where the 2 players are missing.

Like last night, why let Perron skate out untouched to get his shot away. They’re too passive and collapse back a little too much allowing the play come to them.

Just hope nobody at the NHL offices ever vote to change the playoff overtime format to 3 on 3, otherwise the Jets are doomed.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Don't really get why OT needs to be 3v3 anyway, wouldn't 4v4 make more sense and have it closer to an actual NHL hockey game. It really should be 4 minutes 5v5, 2 minutes 4v4 sudden death with a T after 6 minutes if no one scores.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Buff gets caught on the ice for too long, especially in OT. Last night was case in point. Maurice really has to roll the lines better. Buff just refuses to get off the ice sometimes it's really frustrating.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Not sure what the real time on ice is ...but Wheeler and Buff never seem to get off in under 2 minutes...

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I wanted

Connor
Ehlers
Morrissey before

But JRos is playing

So Jros
KCon
JMO

;) WHAT DO THE JETS GOT TO LOSE?
hope they win the faceoff if they do lool out

Reactions: Whileee

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It's pretty straight forward. Get off the ice when you can. Don't shoot wide with the 3 players in deep and tired. And don't hit the post. Other than that it is all pretty random and in the long term we probably end up 50/50. Big picture I see all these loser points as little extras that are padding our point total rather than missed points. In past seasons we would have been shut down late and get nothing. Now we are battling back and getting points in games we never would have in the past.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Buff - Ehlers - Laine
Buff - Little - Laine

Let's go with what worked previously.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Buff - Ehlers - Laine
Buff - Little - Laine

Let's go with what worked previously.

Ehlers I agree with - add 2 more with some speed.

Half of the 3 on 3 game is possession - the other half is speed / open ice.
Offensively, with speed you find the open ice - without it you get cornered or boxed in.
Defensively, with speed you take away time and space - without it, you watch.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Ideas for Jets in 3-3OT

Get possession. Then follow these 4 steps:

1) Don't shoot wide moments later, particularly if you have teammates that have been on the ice for 45 seconds already

2) Don't shoot wide moments later, particularly if you have teammates that have been on the ice for 90 seconds already

3) Don't shoot wide moments later, particularly if you have teammates that have been on the ice for 120 seconds already

4) Don't shoot wide moments later, particularly if you have teammates that have been on the ice for 180 seconds already

Following these 4 steps will insure a record in OT that jumps from a putrid 1-6, to a reasonable 4-3.

Of the 7 OT games that were decided before the shootout, the Jets played firebrand hockey in 6 of them. The only time they've played for possession was against the Sharks last week. The result was a victory.

A .500 record in those other 6 games gives the team an extra 3 points & overtakes Vegas as the top team in the west.

By George, I think you've got it! :nod::thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->