Ideal location for STH seats

staubitz

Apr 30, 2015
So I’m back in SSM and have signed up for season tickets for the coming season. Since I still have the opportunity to select/change my seat locations, I wanted to gather some info from others who attend OHL games.

Where do you prefer to sit, and why? What is your feedback on previous/current locations for your season seats?

Reactions: HF92

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Best advice I can give is to get a map of the arena seating plan, with available seats clearly marked. Now, establish your preferences:
1. Would you prefer a centre ice location, or a corner spot ?
2. Would you prefer to sit at the end where your team is on the offence for 2 periods, or would you rather see more of their defense ?
3. Avoid low seats behind team benches or penalty boxes. The plexiglass distorts and even obstructs vision in certain areas.
4. Aisle seat locations have pros and cons. Pro - you can exit quickly. Con - you'll have to often stand to accomodate other fans' access to their seats ( can become annoying when play is in progress.) Mid aisle location means that once settled, you're less likley to be disturbed by movement of others.

My personal preference is at the face-off dot in the end my team shoots at 2x.....and higher up. Had those seats long enough that the plastic has conformed to the shape of my a$$.:D;)

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
So I’m back in SSM and have signed up for season tickets for the coming season. Since I still have the opportunity to select/change my seat locations, I wanted to gather some info from others who attend OHL games.

Where do you prefer to sit, and why? What is your feedback on previous/current locations for your season seats?
I’ve sat just about everywhere at the Aud over the years. Everywhere from standing room in the old days, ice level, centre ice halfway up etc. But, for me, the best site lines are in a corner a few rows up past the top of the glass. Find yourself a short row if there is one and go with that. We’ve been able to find a row about that high up with only a few seats in the row. Almost never have to move out of anybody’s way and have perfect sightlines to see all areas of the ice surface. Getting up high enough above the glass make sure the least amount of the ice surface is distorted by the glass.

One thing you might want to do if you’re able to is to get inside the building before you pick your seats. Best when the building is empty. Go in and just move around from seat to seat, location to location, find the best view that way.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
As a long time STH in Owen Sound and a fan who has been to nearly every rink in the league at least once.

There's really a few things I can say about seeing games live around the league and in Owen Sound.

First off it's more about personal preference than anything else. As a number of the buildings around the league are clones in their design I can really say that it more depends on how close or far away from the action you want to be. Some people like sitting really close and others further away. However there is one thing that remains the same amongst all buildings there are always obstructed view points in every building.

For example if you sit closer to the centre ice area or benches you'll miss the corners, if you sit in a corner then you miss the close side board view, and if you sit at an end seat the play is either really close and you're always looking down or up the ice.

This is all personal preference to who you are, and the building you're watching it in really. Myself I like to try and sir in a viewpoint where I get to see most of the ice surface. High corners, or middle area seats a few rows from the entrance to the concourse area is typically my favorite areas of buildings as you typically get a good viewing of the entire playing surface.

Every building has their advantages and disadvantages of where you sit it really just depends on what feels most comfortable to you.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I spent 2008-2019 sitting in the neutral zone in the top row. The view is good and it's close to the washrooms lol. I like the "TV broadcast" view. Covid killed my season ticket streak but I hope to get them again some day when I'm not coaching.

A lot of fans seem to like the view in the corners but I hate having one period way down at the far end. To me it feels very detached when the play is in the far end.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
4. Aisle seat locations have pros and cons. Pro - you can exit quickly. Con - you'll have to often stand to accomodate other fans' access to their seats ( can become annoying when play is in progress.) Mid aisle location means that once settled, you're less likley to be disturbed by movement of others.
Love my aisle seat. Never have to move for anyone 😃

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I've sat in multiple areas and heights and, unless I have a reason to sit up high, I prefer down low. It's easier for me to get into the game that way. Up high feels too isolated.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The 100% worst place to sit is in a private box. Too many distractions. The actual game becomes an afterthought.

Never again. Ditto a Blue Jay game.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
As others have noted, you need to be high enough to be over the glass, better view and you hear the game better. Surprising how much the glass muffles the game. I prefer center ice at that height but when I travel I choose the end the Spits shoot at twice. If you're spending big dollars to travel then I want to see as many goals as possible. If you want to see the best view go where the scouts sit. That is always higher up.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Directly behind the net; preferably above, but definitely not at the level where protective netting meets the glass is the place to watch the game as it played. I would pay to stand above the net rather than accept a free ticket a centre.

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
First off you need to be opposite the player benches... That's where a lot of action is (there's a reason tv cameras broadcast from that side).

Second, between center ice and the faceoff dot (avoiding the nets) at the end your team scores at twice (near the blue line is probably ideal).

Finally high enough that you can see over the glass. You'll miss a little bit in the corner of the far end but you'll see 90% of the ice.

Years ago I sat in the back row of the middle section in Saginaw... It was awesome because you could just hop over the seats and not have to walk out of the aisle... I'd love to have those back again. I typically prefer aisle seats

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
I have never been in that arena but generally I like to be in an end seat behind where your fav team shoots twice and high enough you can see whats right in front of you: 10 rows up or so...

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
At the old Windsor Arena, I sat in almost every section at some point and at almost every height. In the WFCU Centre, I've sat way up high and front row (currently). While sitting up high is good in certain spots (like behind the goal), I prefer down low because I find that gets me into the game more.

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
I sit centre ice behind the Petes bench at the Peterborough Memorial Centre and I love it !

I see everything happening on the bench-how the players interact with each other, how the coach talks (or doesn’t talk) to everyone etc.
Watching the bench adds a whole other dimension to the game.

I also get to see into the timekeepers and the penalty box -a lot goes down there as well.

If there is action in the corners I watch on the sports timer -I can see everything.

I love Jr. hockey more than NHL hockey -

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I have season tickets in Kitchener. We sit front row right along the glass behind the Rangers bench.

I will admit that it is not a very good sight lines to watch the game for me. I work 12 hour shifts and my wife takes our son to about a third of the games. Our son is high functioning autistic and loves the players. The seats are perfect for our son and my wife to watch the players and how they interact with each other.

I will admit that it is fun to watch the players interact with each other.

As a quick side story my son's favourite player last year was Reid Valade. He had a Valade jersey made. Before every period Valade would make eye contact with our son and they would nod to each other. Now I am not sure if that was him being nice or part of his routine.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

HF92

Oct 14, 2017
SSM
www.facebook.com

I finally got the spot I've always wanted. Top row, aisle seat, facing the benches, and on the side Hounds shoot twice on.

I'm a top row kind of guy, especially since I stand often, but also have to be facing the benches.

In the last 2 to 3 years of having seasons I moved from 105, to 101, to 109 and now I'm in 106, top row on the aisle ( come say hi but message me first LOL )

I'm a fan of that area/corner... 104 105 106 107. My 105 seats were way too low, and 101 had too many..... older people.

We had 109 top row and it was absolutely perfect, great people around, good view... I was just hellbent on that aisle seat.

download (9)~2.jpeg

Here's the view from my new seat( netting and glass was down lol )
received_1022947515751236.jpeg

The 100% worst place to sit is in a private box. Too many distractions. The actual game becomes an afterthought.

Never again. Ditto a Blue Jay game.

Absolutely 100% agree. The worst experience ever. I'd say the private box is good for someone who doesn't actually like or know the game itself lol.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2