Idea to give the higher ranked seed SOME advantage in the play-in series

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
There has been alot of points and commentary that the higher ranked seeds will get no advantage in their play-in series for obvious reasons (neutural site, no home crowd etc). With limited options, should there be an exploration of any possibility for any slight advantage?

IDEA- The higher ranked seed is the "Home" team for ALL matches in their play in series.

One small but obvious advantage a home team gets in hockey is the tactical advantage of getting to have the last change. Getting to ice the line they want against the line the opposition sends out gives a home team the optimal match up for each faceoff/ start of a shift (non icing).

While it may not be significant, it could be a benefit to be one of the 5-8 seeds to get to have this strategy each match. And it doesnt manipulate the integrity of a series materially. (Like Carolinas proposal..lol)

While this idea isnt a game changer, could there be any merit in it?

What othee options could there be for finiding some minor advantages to a higher seed without impacting the credibility of the play-in round?

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
no no merit at all. Winnipeg was ahead of cal van and Nashville when the season ended why are we to assume the would finish behind any of them, minny was literally tied with all 4 of these teams with a dozen games to play. you need to win best of 5 with no advantage other then last change in game 5 otherwise see you next season.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
What’s with this constant need to give these higher seeded teams an advantage in the opening round??

If they can’t decide it on ice fair and square, and need an extra advantage to cushion their chances, then they don’t deserve to move on in the first place.

Higher seed = better team during the regular season. So prove it. Play the games.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Interesting idea, but ultimately.. nah. Changes the game too much for my taste, it may be a small thing but I don’t want to just give a team that advantage every single game, I could easily see matchups getting abused during a 7 game series and it’d suck for a team to lose a series because of this newly introduced quirk.

There’s gonna be unfairness given what’s happened. That’s just the reality. NHL has minimized that unfairness as much as they can, but adding new caveats that fundamentally change playoff hockey strategy- nah.

Reactions: catters078

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
What’s with this constant need to give these higher seeded teams an advantage in the opening round??

If they can’t decide it on ice fair and square, and need an extra advantage to cushion their chances, then they don’t deserve to move on in the first place.

Higher seed = better team during the regular season. So prove it. Play the games.

Sample size of course. This first round isn't legitimate so no reason not to give the advantage to the superior team based on the best sample size of the regular season.

Reactions: BernieParent

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don’t like the idea that the higher seed having home ice in every game.
Your question got me to wondering about dressing rooms, if Edmonton was considered the road team at a game in Edmonton would they still use their own room?

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
How about a team that was definitely safe like the Pens that was 15 points up on their opponent gets to play an opponent that was 15 points worse, while a team like Carolina that was still battling for a spot and only 2 points up will play a team that was only 2 points behind them? Similarly a team like Montreal that was 15 points back should have to play a team that 15 points ahead of them where as the Rangers (who were 2 points back) would play a team 2 points ahead of them?

People keep making the same tired arguments that it won't be representative of what happened in the regular season, but guess what? None of this postseason will be! It will probably be a 4 months+ break and players will have different levels of access to training for most of time off, nothing about it is normal or fair as we normally consider it. This isn't being done for the integrity of the season or because its enshrined in hockey lore that the cup must always be awarded. They expanded the playoffs to try and make some of their sponsorship dollars back and by including more teams (and some of their biggest markets in those 17-24 teams) they will get more eyesballs on screens and more dollars. As a hockey fan I'm happy that we might have some hockey to watch soon I think its great that they've essentially doubled the length of the first round (the best part of the hockey year).

Before I get all the "you're only happy because this gives Montreal an unfair shot!!1!" comments, no. I would be happier if we just missed out and had a guarantee of having a better pick. We have no real shot at a cup, but we do have an outside chance of taking 3/5 and moving from 8th (with a shot at the top 3) to 16th for some very short lived fun. Most Habs fans are with me that we would rather just sit this one out. We weren't anywhere close tot he playoffs before the deadline then traded 4 regulars off our roster for picks, any team that loses to us were never going to win the cup anyway.

Reactions: NB613

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
Not a bad idea...

But at the end of the day, I just say let the teams play with no "gimmicks".

The bottom line is that when the puck drops, you have to be the best team on the ice.

If Montreal has to win their serie against Pittsburgh, so be it! Pittsburgh would have no one to blame but themselves.

Reactions: catters078

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I don’t like the idea that the higher seed having home ice in every game.
Your question got me to wondering about dressing rooms, if Edmonton was considered the road team at a game in Edmonton would they still use their own room?

They shouldn't. The designated home team should get their pick of dressing room and bench, period. I can't imagine a "host" franchise arguing against the fairness of that.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad