Proposal: Idea for conditional trades

chirrrs

Jun 3, 2013
Rockwall, TX
Perhaps this is absolutely ridiculous, but I wonder if anything resembling this strategy would be reasonable or if it's ever happened.

Let's say Dallas has 8 players that they are willing to trade, and for the sake of simplicity, all 8 are universally agreed as being worth a 2nd round pick. Assume that there are only about 18 games left, and the gap between 8th in the West and 9th is at 10 points.

So Dallas deals one player to each of the teams in playoff contention. The deals are structured as follows:

Dallas gives up Player X, worth a mid-2nd rounder for a conditional 3rd and 4th round pick. The condition is that if team Y makes the 2nd round, the 4th becomes a second. If team Y makes the WCF, the deal becomes a 1st and 3rd. If they make the SCF, it's a 1st and 2nd. If they win it all, Dallas gets their picks in rounds 1, 2, and 5.

Loses in first round: 3rd and 4th
Makes it to second round: 2nd and 3rd
Makes it to WCF: 1st and 3rd
Makes it SCF: 1st and 2nd
Wins SCF: 1st, 2nd, 5th.

The final result of these trades will be that for 8 players worth 2nd round picks, Dallas gets:

1st rounders: 2
2nd rounders: 5
3rd rounders: 7
4th rounders: 4
New Jamie Benns/John Klingbergs: Possibly 1

So Dallas makes out like bandits. They undersell on 4 guys, get better than average deals on 2, and they get well above worth for 2 (essentially two free 1st round picks). No individual team gets screwed either, really. The ones that are overpaying are the two teams that made it all the way to the WCF. At that point, they have a great opportunity to win the Cup - who cares if they had to overpay to make that happen if they end up winning it all?

Of course, there's several reasons that this couldn't actually happen. A team will not be likely to have 8 players to deal, and if they did, it would be insanely difficult to work out deals with only the 8 teams they would need to pull this off. Also, the 8 players wouldn't have the same value anyway, so the logistics become complicated.

The exact logistics of the format that I proposed aren't entirely important, it's really about the concept more than anything. If you have a similar alternative, please share!

Could a shorter version of something like this realistically happen? Perhaps Dallas only has four players to trade, so they trade them to the top 4 teams in the West. Each deal is also structured in a way that if a team is one-and done, Dallas undersells, but if that team goes deep, the other team ends up overpaying. Dallas could end up with a horrible or an absolutely incredible return overall.

Have there ever been a series of trades like this where one team hedged their bets with conditional trades? It sure would add an element of excitement for Dallas fans in watching the playoffs...

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I mean, you could, but I doubt you'd be able to convince any other GM's to make such a convoluted trade.

chirrrs

Jun 3, 2013
Rockwall, TX
Basically OP found a way to convert 8 2nds into 2 1sts and 5 2nds, with some third and 4th round picks as well.

If by "some" 3rds, you mean 7 of them, then yeah. There's also a 5th!

Still confused
can i get a tldr

The idea is that you take a gambler's approach to these trades. If the team taking the player is one and done in the playoffs, they gave up well below market value for that asset. If they do really well, they overpay but hopefully getting to the Finals makes that a little easier of a pill to swallow. From the perspective of the team doing the trading, as long as they make several of these trades, they've hedged their bets since they know that at least one of the teams will have to make it deep enough to make it worthwhile.

I know it's out there, but I figured it would be fun to talk about...

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Except other GMs are not going to attach stupid conditions to their trades. Deadline pickups can be helpful but they are almost never the reason that a team has playoff success.

For example, say the Blackhawks make a deal for Sharp back, they are not going to attach conditions to the trade where they are giving up 2 first round picks because Keith, Kane, Toews, etc. lead them to another cup while Sharp was on the third line.

Rufus

Letangarang
May 27, 2014
If by "some" 3rds, you mean 7 of them, then yeah. There's also a 5th!

The idea is that you take a gambler's approach to these trades. If the team taking the player is one and done in the playoffs, they gave up well below market value for that asset. If they do really well, they overpay but hopefully getting to the Finals makes that a little easier of a pill to swallow. From the perspective of the team doing the trading, as long as they make several of these trades, they've hedged their bets since they know that at least one of the teams will have to make it deep enough to make it worthwhile.

I know it's out there, but I figured it would be fun to talk about...

That is quite a fun, out of the box idea. I don't think teams would ever agree to have that become an option, but that would make for much more intrigue for a non-playoff team trading a bunch of there assets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad