Speculation: Icing discussion

Ducksgo*

I really don't see what this has to do with the NHL. Every rec league I've ever played in did automatic icing, and they do it specifically because most players don't have the kind of control necessary to not get hurt in those icing situations.

The reason why I am using my league as an example is because of this being non contact league and its still chippy. Imagine 10 fold.... NHL level status. Players have been injured over icing, not giving up on the play when they see numbers etc. The NHL should atleast discuss this issue in a drawboard meeting.

Ducksgo*

Hope you don't mind me asking but how old are you?

I am 26 with a major in marketing at Long Beach State, and have an internship with the ducks come July? Do I fit your criteria for a response? Apparently I do with a response from you, and this is a discussion regarding the icing issues we have in our league. If you can't contribute why post?

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California
I am 26 with a major in marketing at Long Beach State, and have an internship with the ducks come July? Do I fit your criteria for a response? Apparently I do this is a discussion regarding the icing issues we have in our league. If you can't contribute why post?

Sensitive are we? :laugh:

I could careless about your personal accolades.

I was curious because I skate there quite often and play elsewhere but was considering joining a league there. I really appreciate that fact if I make the decision to join I'll be playing with ducks marketing interns. Oh what a joy. :sarcasm:

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
The reason why I am using my league as an example is because of this being non contact league and its still chippy. Imagine 10 fold.... NHL level status. Players have been injured over icing, not giving up on the play when they see numbers etc. The NHL should atleast discuss this issue in a drawboard meeting.

The league has discussed it. They even added a rule about checking players after a touch-up. There is no reason to go to hybrid icing, because the injuries that result from it are so few and far between.

The players in the NHL have been playing checking hockey for years. It's hardly the same thing as a no checking league where you get 2 minutes for anything more than a little bump.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
This is all side note Soj. The refs let us play with icing rules indicated by NHL standards. We pay for it apparently :faceplam: I just don't understand the icing rule without limitations being other leagues use Hybrid non hybrid what ever and what have you. Shanny get your act together and start promoting a safer sport for my players. It's just that simple

********. You're either exaggerating or you're full of ****. I played at AI for years, and they never, ever used NHL rules. They use rules that come from USA hockey, and IIHF rules.

Ducksgo*

********. You're either exaggerating or you're full of ****. I played at AI for years, and they never, ever used NHL rules. They use rules that come from USA hockey, and IIHF rules.

Really? I am currently playing now in the silver league. I don't want to get into a huge debate over it. But have you played recently? There is non calls on ICING Soj. This isn't rookie league this is silver and up. Rookie and blah blah is over and done with. Silver and up is where the NHL rules ARE being applied.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Really? I am currently playing now in the silver league. I don't want to get into a huge debate over it. But have you played recently? There is non calls on ICING Soj. This isn't rookie league this is silver and up. Rookie and blah blah is over and done with. Silver and up is where the NHL rules ARE being applied.

Sure they are. :shakehead

Do you realize AI would be in deep **** if they did use NHL rules? They are bound by USA hockey guidelines.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Yah no touch Icing in NCAA vipers. I know hockey is a physical sport. But have you played hockey before? It's very scary along the boards when two people are racing for a puck. Even if its no contact. Having contact? Unreal we need to limit injuries from icing.

If anyone has statistics of suspensions or injuries from the icing rule please post them. I would love to see the results.

Yeah, I play hockey. I'm a goalie, though, so no races for the puck on icing calls for me. ;) Well, and we have no-touch icing over here, anyway, so that's that. I just prefer touch icing. Sure, there's a certain risk involved, but I think it's the players' jobs to take care of things. There have been changes in how interference is applied in these situations, and I think the pros are able to put themselves into positions accordingly. I don't think it has been a big problem lately. Players seemed to adapt already.

Ducksgo*

Sure they are. :shakehead

Do you realize AI would be in deep **** if they did use NHL rules? They are bound by USA hockey guidelines.

Well why don't you ask Hutchinson why the refs aren't calling icing when It's suppose to be called. Hes the manager for AI and Westminster. Good luck getting through to that guy :laugh: we're soo off topic btw Soj

MMonarchs

Apr 10, 2011
The risk is negligible. The reward can be huge. I can remember multiple times of a team scoring coming off a waived icing than I can of anyone being injured. Is it 'safe'? No, not really. Not with most aspects of the sport.

You can keep bringing up your rec silver league or whatever, I don't see what that matters. It'd be just as valid a comparison if you were curling. Your league and the NHL are different sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad