Ice Skates feel Wobbly

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
So I just got back into ice hockey last night after about 10 years of not playing. I have been playing inline this entire time and consistently for about 20 years. I'm a pretty fluid skater but like I said, it's been a while since I've been on ice. I've gained approximately 30 pounds (currently 5'11"/180lbs) since I've last played so I'm not sure if this has anything to do with my skates I have.

I've used them occasionally on the pond (no more than 3 times) and I know this can damage them as well. I did also get them freshly sharpened prior to the game as well.

Basically my question is, is this normal? I know the ice isn't going to be as smooth as an inline court on wheels but my feet felt like they were moving back and forth side to to side.

I also felt like I was digging into the ice a lot. For example, I'm on defense and we win the face off back to me. Normally I'd have no issue unloading a shot but I felt like my body was moving forward while my lower body was lagging behind.

This could all just be me not being used to ice at all since it's been so long but I don't recall these difficulties when I used to play.

My skates are the Bauer Vapor XXII for reference.

Last edited:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Hard to tell what the issue truly is at this point, given you've literally just started skating like this again in a long time. Maybe give it a bit

Grodon

Apr 9, 2017
30 lbs is a lot, if your skates are chattering, then it's got too much bite from what I've experience. Try going with a shallower hollow.

cynicalcitizen

Feb 6, 2014
So I just got back into ice hockey last night after about 10 years of not playing. I have been playing inline this entire time and consistently for about 20 years. I'm a pretty fluid skater but like I said, it's been a while since I've been on ice. I've gained approximately 30 pounds (currently 5'11"/180lbs) since I've last played so I'm not sure if this has anything to do with my skates I have.

I've used them occasionally on the pond (no more than 3 times) and I know this can damage them as well. I did also get them freshly sharpened prior to the game as well.

Basically my question is, is this normal? I know the ice isn't going to be as smooth as an inline court on wheels but my feet felt like they were moving back and forth side to to side.

I also felt like I was digging into the ice a lot. For example, I'm on defense and we win the face off back to me. Normally I'd have no issue unloading a shot but I felt like my body was moving forward while my lower body was lagging behind.

This could all just be me not being used to ice at all since it's been so long but I don't recall these difficulties when I used to play.

My skates are the Bauer Vapor XXII for reference.
How is the added weight distributed? Cankles? Giant butt? Added chins? Man boobs? That could help determine things more accurately.

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
30 lbs is a lot, if your skates are chattering, then it's got too much bite from what I've experience. Try going with a shallower hollow.

It is but I was also 17 at the time weighing around 150 or so. Now at 28 I'm about 180.

Can you explain what chatter is, too much bite and what hollow is as well? Sorry, but that sentence was pretty much foreign to me lol.

How is the added weight distributed? Cankles? Giant butt? Added chins? Man boobs? That could help determine things more accurately.

Lmao, things are distributed pretty evenly. I'm not ripped but I'm in pretty good shape as I've stayed active over the years, just not in ice hockey.

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
It might be just from being on inline skates for so long. I remember playing rollerhockey all one summer many years ago, and the first time back on skates I could hardly stand up. It took a couple skates at least to make the transition back to ice.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
It is but I was also 17 at the time weighing around 150 or so. Now at 28 I'm about 180.

Can you explain what chatter is, too much bite and what hollow is as well? Sorry, but that sentence was pretty much foreign to me lol.

Lmao, things are distributed pretty evenly. I'm not ripped but I'm in pretty good shape as I've stayed active over the years, just not in ice hockey.

If you look at a skate blade in cross section, you’ll see the part that touches the ice describes an arc known as the hollow. The radius of that arc is the radius of hollow. The deeper the hollow, the more grip you get, and the more friction hence you are slower in glides.

A shallow hollow makes it easier to hockey stop, as the blades dig in less, but the disadvantage is that your blades might slip sideways when you don’t want them to, when doing crossovers or tight turns for example. A deeper hollow prevents them slipping sideways, but hockey stopping is harder, and you might find the blades ‘chatter’. This means they are bouncing up and down on the ice instead of sliding. They are digging in, then bouncing, then digging in, and so on, If you look at the marks on the ice from a chattering hockey stop, you’ll see a dashed line, rather than a continuous one.

I had chattering when the shop gave me too deep a hollow, and not the one requested. However, fast forward a year and I now use that deeper hollow and have no problems hockey stopping. The reason is that my edge control and strength have improved.

Your issues could be due to lack of recent skating practice, or an unsuitable hollow or poorly sharpened skates. Your best bet is to practice and get back your edge control, my guess is you’re just rusty, but it’ll come back.

Reactions: JaeTM

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
If you look at a skate blade in cross section, you’ll see the part that touches the ice describes an arc known as the hollow. The radius of that arc is the radius of hollow. The deeper the hollow, the more grip you get, and the more friction hence you are slower in glides.

A shallow hollow makes it easier to hockey stop, as the blades dig in less, but the disadvantage is that your blades might slip sideways when you don’t want them to, when doing crossovers or tight turns for example. A deeper hollow prevents them slipping sideways, but hockey stopping is harder, and you might find the blades ‘chatter’. This means they are bouncing up and down on the ice instead of sliding. They are digging in, then bouncing, then digging in, and so on, If you look at the marks on the ice from a chattering hockey stop, you’ll see a dashed line, rather than a continuous one.

I had chattering when the shop gave me too deep a hollow, and not the one requested. However, fast forward a year and I now use that deeper hollow and have no problems hockey stopping. The reason is that my edge control and strength have improved.

Your issues could be due to lack of recent skating practice, or an unsuitable hollow or poorly sharpened skates. Your best bet is to practice and get back your edge control, my guess is you’re just rusty, but it’ll come back.

Much appreciated. I might try and go for a skate on Saturday before my game Sunday if I have time. I'll post again my results after a second time out afterwards. Hopefully it's better.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
It might take you a few weeks to get used to your blade profile. As opposed to the hollow, this is the overall curve of your skates from front to back. You will notice a big difference in that curvature from inline to ice and even from skate to skate with different profiles. I took off 11 years or so as well (an no inline in between) and just going from an old 11' profile radius (flatter) to a 9' one (more curved) was really disorienting at first. You will wobble and feel it a lot on your toes and heels and it will feel like you are unstable. I had my skates reprofiled to 10' and still it took a few weeks for the smaller muscles in your feet and calf to build and adjust/un-wobble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad