Ice Hockey World Championship in Boxing Style

Noma

The Unofficial Football World Championships is way of calculating the world's best soccer team using a knock-out title system similar to that used in boxing and wrestling. I became interested in what country could be holding that title now in ice hockey and did a little research. I started my work from the first national match I found: France-Bohemia January 23rd 1909, which France won 8-1. A total of 27 countries have been World Champions since then.

Now the title is held by Slovakia who claimed it by winning Germany 4-1 February 11st this year. Next time they will be defending the title April 1st against Finland.

Not very surprisingly, Canada has the most days as champion, 10 041 days, about 27 and a half years. Here's the top 10:
1. Canada 27y 6m
2. Soviet Union 19y 6m
3. England 16y 1m
4. USA 6y 9m
5. Sweden 6y 4m
6. Czechoslovakia 5y 5m
7. France 4y 6m
8. Russia 3y
9. Finland 2y 5m
10. Czech Republic 2y 4m

Sweden has however got to arrange the most championship parties winning the previous champions 66 times. Top 10:
1. Sweden 66
2. Canada 58
3. Czechoslovakia and Finland 41
5. Soviet Union 40
6. USA and Czech Republic 28
8. Russia 23
9. Switzerland 15
10. Slovakia 9

The complete statistics can be found here.

I had to make one exception to the rules, because after the match Scotland-Canada March 5th 1948 Scotland never played any games against other opponent than England and the championship would have been bouncing between these two countries and eventually ended to Scotland, who haven't played any games since 1993. I transfered the championship to Great Britain after that match.

The data has been collected from this site: http://www.nationalteamsoficehockey.com/mens.html

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
That's some fun stuff, especially seeing the minor countries get it now and then.

Though there is one minor hickup, the list has Denmark beating Norway November 2010, but the next entry is Switzerland beating the Czech Rep. in December. Shouldn't a team have beaten Denmark?

Noma

Germans are world champions!

Germany beat Finland 4-2 today and they are now current world champions, at least until April 25th when they play against Belarus in their only(?) remaining exhibition game before the actual world championships.

Frozen

Aug 23, 2004
Sweet and interesting boxing style championship project you have going here. Kind of surprising to see some countries so high on the list even though I knew they were "in the competition" back then in the history.

Congrats to the new champs - Switzerland!

Keep up the good work.

rj

Jan 29, 2007
Indiana
Yep, just like that. Same system that they have in (pro) boxing.

No the boxing system is a guy wins, never plays anyone worthwhile, eventually vacates or gets stripped, and then you have multiple claimants to the same belt.

Noma

Sweden is now holding both the Unofficial Football World Championship and the Unofficial Hockey World Championship titles. I have no idea if this has happened before, but at least it's not very common.

Sweden will also surpass the USA in 31st of January as the country to have held the title for fifth most days in total.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad