Ice hockey game in a movie for the first time?

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
In Love Story that O'Neal guy (Ryan?) figures pretty prominently on the Harvard school team. The film was reeeeeeally boring though. It's also from the 60s or 70s, so not that early. But, if my memory serves me right, it has actual on-ice scenes with Ryan (O'Neal?) doing his own skating and pucking.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
It's funny to see John Wayne on skates, a real power forward (when he's not sitting on his wallet!).

Another hockey movie from the 1930's:

King of Hockey (1936) - IMDb

MV5BZTYxY2Y4MTUtYjVhNi00NGQ2LWI0NTgtYjU0MTVmZTM0Mjc4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTcyODY2NDQ@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Saw it many years ago, Dick Purcell as Gabby Dugan. CBC used to show it

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Manhattan melodrama from 1934 features an ice hockey game in madison square garden. Is this the first time hockey is featured in s movie where it isn't the focus?

Can I ask if you have seen this film in its entirety? And does it include actual scenes of the rink? I read briefly on its wiki page and it says someone gets shot in the arena in some room.

Apparently this was also the last film John Dillinger saw before he went out of the theatre and got mortally peppered with bullets by the FBI.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Can I ask if you have seen this film in its entirety? And does it include actual scenes of the rink? I read briefly on its wiki page and it says someone gets shot in the arena in some room.

Apparently this was also the last film John Dillinger saw before he went out of the theatre and got mortally peppered with bullets by the FBI.
I've seen it, it features shots of a hockey game!

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
The classic and wildly underrated thriller "Black Christmas" was actually made in Canada, Toronto actually. There is a hockey scene in it that has nothing to do with the plot but it is funny how they are just winding up for slap shots on the goalie with that Tony Esposito-style mask. Of course, this is much later than the 1930s, in 1974.

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
I know it's not the first...nor does it apply to the thread....and I'll be ready to catch grief/a hard time for this one.....but could I make an "Honorable Mention" for Sudden Death in 1995 where Jean-Claude Van Damme had to be the "emergency" goalie for the Penguins.....not sure what happened to Barrasso that night? :laugh::laugh:

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Someone made a pretty good list of hockey movies here:

moviehockey

I've seen a number of them, my favorite is Net Worth, the story of Ted Lindsay's attempts to get a union started in the NHL. Another was Faceoff that has footage of the Leafs of that time plus the Chief George Armstrong and Derek Sanderson are in the movie.

Would like to see White Lightning to see if Lee Van Cleef is on skates.

Reactions: Killion

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
If memory serves, the 1967 Michael Caine spy thriller Billion Dollar Brain(part of the Harry Palmer series) featured a scene set at a hockey game in Helsinki. According to Wikipedia, it was largely shot on location in Finland so the game might have even featured real teams and players.

tempofound

Oct 18, 2013
Some of the very earliest movies were hockey themed. These are short films though:

1898 Hockey match on the ice "The skaters dart to and fro, swinging their hockeys and trying to hit the disc toward the goal."

1898 Hockey match, Quebec "A sharply contested game between two crack teams of Canadian players."

1901 Hockey match on the ice at Montreal, Canada "Shows 200 boys playing a hockey match. Some exhibit remarkable skill. One of the boys has only one leg, but with the help of a crutch, skates about and puts up a very successful game."

Reactions: mattihp

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Idol of the Crowds is a 1937 hockey movie starring John Wayne, "notable for its examination of the question of whether a responsible adult should in good conscience pursue a hockey career when he could be running a chicken farm north of the city. "I'd feel kinda foolish going clear down there just to play hockey," Wayne's character drawls at one point. "Seems like a man ought to have a regular job. I want to build something and see it grow.""

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada

Footage of Howie Morenz

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
Theres a Ronald Reagan hockey movie in the 30’s called “Hells Kitchen” also starring the Dead End Kids.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This is a cool scene from The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973) with Robert Mitchum:

You don’t often see game footage in a film, let alone of Bobby Orr.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Idol of the Crowds is a 1937 hockey movie starring John Wayne, "notable for its examination of the question of whether a responsible adult should in good conscience pursue a hockey career when he could be running a chicken farm north of the city. "I'd feel kinda foolish going clear down there just to play hockey," Wayne's character drawls at one point. "Seems like a man ought to have a regular job. I want to build something and see it grow.""
Apt.

Frank Selke was an avid chicken fancier (i read in his autobiography), as was Conn Smythe (whose own autobiography devoted too many pages to it) and some players. It was a substantial hobby back then.

Reactions: tinyzombies

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->