Ice Dogs sanctioned for recruitment violations

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Oh yeah, all 2 of them. Roth was surely in big demand seeing that he went undrafted from the hockey hotbed of Missouri.

Gettinger, Kopacka, Calvas, etc.
Selective memory?
So buying players is OK, but paying big money isn’t? You avoiding something? Let something slip since you’re “in the know”?

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
There’s no doubt the teams that can afford it or find loopholes to do it, do it. Hell, most have probably done it.

Some are just smart enough to get caught or know how to play the system and bend the rules without breaking them.

Some examples were touched on already with Gagner, another example is Kane, Windsor has had a couple etc.

Name of the game to win. It’s not like it’s only the CHL but happens in other leagues to, just not to the extent where big money is.

Reactions: three dog night

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
so much for 'it was all everyone else's' fault. joey burke admits to a side deal with another player and theres evident that the owner knew all about the first side deal, how shocking.

I wonder how many franchises do this? I just have seen too much of the world to believe this hasn't been happening with more teams and players.
Likely more than many would think. This comes down to teams fulfilling on an agreement and actually paying the "hush money". Once you renege on an agreement..the gloves are off in my opinion. The Dogs shit in their own crate...to put an analogy on it

WolvesAndWings

Wherever I go, the strawman follows
Mar 18, 2017
I wonder how many franchises do this? I just have seen too much of the world to believe this hasn't been happening with more teams and players.

I'd take it a step further and wager that all 20 OHL franchises have done/actively do this. Niagara were just stupid enough to get caught and it looks like it could've been totally avoided by honouring the deal (even though it was against the rules, which is besides the point)

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I agree, this is probably far more prevalent than we care to think. Interesting the two examples given:
1) a 2013 2nd round pick gets a full ride (worth $40k)
2) a 2015 6th round pick gets $2k per year
Also, the article mentions maxing out at 7 full ride scholarships. First I heard of this, does anyone have any info on this?

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Also, the article mentions maxing out at 7 full ride scholarships. First I heard of this, does anyone have any info on this?

Yes, each team can carry a maximum of 7 "gold" full-ride packages at a time. These are almost a given for 1st rounders and the odd high-end recruit drafted lower. To add one, you have to subtract one once you're at 7. So it's not easy to do.

As for the payments, I think anyone was being naive to suggest this isn't prevalent across the league. Those who said it has never been proven and there is no evidence were displaying wanton ignorance. As this case shows, it was obvious that NDAs or back room lawyer/lock box arrangements were pretty easy ways to circumvent rules. And without naming names, all you have to do is look at some past recruitment successes and trades where prices didn't make sense to know something was going on behind the scenes.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Considering the extent and also the fact Ownership clearly knew, the Ice Dogs got a pretty good deal from the OHL and Mr Branch IMO? I can only believe they never anticipated the details of the infractions being released. Perhaps a “side deal” regarding the punishment for doing “side deals” is being held in a Safety Deposit box with a private law firm? LOL......

I know and appreciate the overwhelming sentiment that “all the other teams do it” but I can’t believe that some disgruntled ex player or players haven’t come forward more often in the past to complain and ultimately rat out teams?

Anyway Cheers enjoy the Summer, at least now the Puppies can deal with this one last time and move on.

Reactions: three dog night

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Conversely, this explains why some teams seem to have chronic problems signing certain players.

When they won't, or can't pony up ,the player walks.

Bad timing for this to come to light now. Additional amo for the group taking the league to court.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Considering the extent and also the fact Ownership clearly knew, the Ice Dogs got a pretty good deal from the OHL and Mr Branch IMO? I can only believe they never anticipated the details of the infractions being released. Perhaps a “side deal” regarding the punishment for doing “side deals” is being held in a Safety Deposit box with a private law firm? LOL......

I know and appreciate the overwhelming sentiment that “all the other teams do it” but I can’t believe that some disgruntled ex player or players haven’t come forward more often in the past to complain and ultimately rat out teams?

Anyway Cheers enjoy the Summer, at least now the Puppies can deal with this one last time and move on.

The answer appears simple enough. Pay up and no-one ever finds out.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
The answer appears simple enough. Pay up and no-one ever finds out.
I don't know I just struggle to buy into it, if it's as widespread as several suggest I just can't see how only 2 situations in all these years have come to light. The only way I buy it is if the OHL is aware of it and there is an unwritten rule that they turn a blind eye unless it blows up at which time they will act concerned about it? The OHL and all teams quite frankly have a real interest in getting the top talent on the ice, regardless of which city they actually end up in. The league has to be aware of it for this major conspiracy to all work. Perhaps..........

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->