Ice Dogs sanctioned for recruitment violations

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Your team blatantly and openly breaks recruitment rules and receives no punishment. Other teams have done the same as well, but not nearly to the same extent.

The league deals with complaints from players because they must do so. They are happy to let teams pay their players if it means more talent in the OHL. If you knew what Antonio Stranges is getting I think you would be shocked at the dollars that are spent in the OHL. The bidding war for him got pretty heated between at least 3 teams before the draft.

Niagara was dumb enough to get caught, but let's not pretend that most teams in the league don't cheat the system. I know of some minor examples on my own team even.

Pretty harsh accusation there. You're saying Stranges is recieving under the table payments? Then spill it.. what's he getting?? All we ever hear is blah blah blah with nobody coming forward... so as PP31 would put it nut up or shut up.

Aside from that... IF something shady was happening why hasn't anyone stepped forward? Teenage boys are not the best at keeping secrets. They would have spilled it to someone at school, in their home town, to a girl. There have been enough disgruntled players and families go through London if something was going on internally I'm sure somebody would have gone running to the press... nope... hasn't happened. So unless you've got some facts all you've got is a pile of nothing.

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
Your team blatantly and openly breaks recruitment rules and receives no punishment. Other teams have done the same as well, but not nearly to the same extent.

The league deals with complaints from players because they must do so. They are happy to let teams pay their players if it means more talent in the OHL. If you knew what Antonio Stranges is getting I think you would be shocked at the dollars that are spent in the OHL. The bidding war for him got pretty heated between at least 3 teams before the draft.

Niagara was dumb enough to get caught, but let's not pretend that most teams in the league don't cheat the system. I know of some minor examples on my own team even.
And you have proof of this? If it's so blatant and open the proof must be piling up then?
I'm sure Antonio e-mails you every week to tell you what he has purchased with his newly-gotten fortune. You're his accountant right?
In the mean time, I'll wait while you go get your folder of evidence linking London to recruitment violations. It must be huge for you to make such grandiose accusations.
Maybe the OHL secretly has Robert Mueller investigating and they will be coming down with a major indictment soon....since it's so blatant.
Boy I can't wait!

Last edited:

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
I agree Niagara was clearly stupid in this case. If you are going to make a side deal then honour it FFS. That said, you cannot honestly say the Knights have NEVER made a side deal that if proven they would face sanctions. I am sure that can be said about half of the leagues teams, maybe more!

So. Please try not to be so sanctimonious. It really isn’t necessary. I am an Ottawa fan and I know for a fact they have done stuff in the past that would result in sanctions. Mind you, it was a long time ago (before Hunt), but I am sure even during the Hunt regime, they have done things that would result in sanctions.

At the end of the day, we can discuss the issues and hypothesize on who the player was and mock Niagara for being stupid but realize the franchise you support has definitely done stuff against the rules. London just paid them all out so none of them have anything to complain about and the franchise treats their players well so none of them have an axe to grind so it’s a “hear no evil, see no evil” situation as far as the League is concerned. And it is that way for all teams that honour their side deals, Ottawa included.
You make accusations that London pays off their players and has done things contrary to the rules....but where is the proof? Once again...I'll wait while you prove your case. Right here, right now provide us with hard evidence that London has violated any recruiting rules, paid their players, paid their families, bought them a happy meal....ANYTHING!... and I'll gladly take my lumps. Until then...and stealing the line from PP31 "Nut up or Shut Up!".
Just because you heave heard that 'stuff' has happened and want to believe it's true doesn't necessarily make it true.

Otto

And you have proof of this? If it's so blatant and open the proof must be piling up then?
I'm sure Antonio e-mails you every week to tell you what he has purchased with his newly-gotten fortune. You're his accountant right?
In the mean time, I'll wait while you go get your folder of evidence linking London to recruitment violations. It must be huge for you to make such grandiose accusations.
Maybe the OHL secretly has Robert Mueller investigating and they will be coming down with a major indictment soon....since it's so blatant.
Boy I can't wait!
You won't see any response from Fischhaber.. he's a fart and leave the room type of guy. Nothing but blowing smoke.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You make accusations that London pays off their players and has done things contrary to the rules....but where is the proof? Once again...I'll wait while you prove your case. Right here, right now provide us with hard evidence that London has violated any recruiting rules, paid their players, paid their families, bought them a happy meal....ANYTHING!... and I'll gladly take my lumps. Until then...and stealing the line from PP31 "Nut up or Shut Up!".
Just because you heave heard that 'stuff' has happened and want to believe it's true doesn't necessarily make it true.

You are being ridiculous. I hope you understand that.

There are loads of criminals on the street. Just because they are not in jail doesn't make them innocent of wrongdoing.

I go by smell test. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, It is usually a duck. The OHL teams are mostly run by ducks.

You can choose to run the theory of " prove it" all you want but you are living on an Island with very few people on it that actually believes that. You are like the Green party in popularity with support.

Reactions: Tarantula

Otto

There are loads of criminals on the street. Just because they are not in jail doesn't make them innocent of wrongdoing.

I go by smell test. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, It is usually a duck. The OHL teams are mostly run by ducks.

You can choose to run the theory of " prove it" all you want but you are living on an Island with very few people on it that actually believes that. You are like the Green party in popularity with support.

It's when people use the terms "I'm sure" that raises eyebrows... if you're "sure" then provide the facts. And Fischhaber says that London "blatantly" does it... well... that must mean that it's all out in the open... so where's the info.

I for one don't buy it and I've said it many times. London has had their fair share of disgruntled players, families, and employees go through the organization.... if this was going on why has nobody stepped up? Why has nobody gone to the press?

Reactions: Knights Watcher

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018

Yep. Just like I thought. You would make a great lawyer some day.
You couldn't Nut Up...now Shut Up!

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
It's when people use the terms "I'm sure" that raises eyebrows... if you're "sure" then provide the facts. And Fischhaber says that London "blatantly" does it... well... that must mean that it's all out in the open... so where's the info.

I for one don't buy it and I've said it many times. London has had their fair share of disgruntled players, families, and employees go through the organization.... if this was going on why has nobody stepped up? Why has nobody gone to the press?
It gets old really fast doesn't it Otto? All of these disgruntled keyboard detectives running around making accusations without one shred of evidence or information.

Reactions: Otto

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
Fact, the Niagara Ice dogs have Akil Thomas’s father on the Scouting payroll. Wonder if he will be relieved of his so called scouting duties as soon as his wonder boy gets traded next year.

Reactions: Knights Watcher

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Boy I can't wait!

There is plenty of proof and you have seen it if you follow your favourite team. This kind of stuff is no secret if you follow the OHL. Jack Campbell talked openly to myself and other media members about Windsor's recruitment tactics well before the sanctions and current players on London and other teams have done the same.

Pretending to be stupid and ignorant does nothing to further your argument.

Unfortunately, this forum prohibits us from discussing current recruitment violations so I will just leave it at that.

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
There is plenty of proof and you have seen it if you follow your favourite team. This kind of stuff is no secret if you follow the OHL. Jack Campbell talked openly to myself and other media members about Windsor's recruitment tactics well before the sanctions and current players on London and other teams have done the same.

Unfortunately, this forum prohibits us from discussing current recruitment violations so I will just leave it at that.
Again...NUT UP or SHUT UP Columbo!

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Again...NUT UP or SHUT UP Columbo!

Develop a rapport with Mike Stubbs or Ryan Pyette and ask them about it. Those two have some stories. We're prohibited from discussing such issues on this forum but I guarantee you will be surprised if you somehow don't know already and put in the smallest amount of effort.

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
Develop a rapport with Mike Stubbs or Ryan Pyette and ask them about it. Those two have some stories. We're prohibited from discussing such issues on this forum but I guarantee you will be surprised if you somehow don't know already and put in the smallest amount of effort.
Stories are stories. Hard evidence is something else. I have stories about how my dad met Elvis. Is it true? Maybe, maybe not. How about the stories about Michael Jackson. True? Maybe, maybe not. "STORIES" are not admissible in a court of law.... only evidence is. That's why they call it hearsay.

Otto

So what you are saying is... you've got nothing and you're making crap up.

Otto

I've known Mike for going on 20 years... you're still full of crap... if you're prohibited from posting something it's probably because it's not true

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Just curious. What did Windsor do differently from Niagara that the Spits lose, what 4 or 5 draft picks while the Ice Dogs lose 1?
Was Windsor‘s offence that much worse?

Maybe London does it, maybe they don’t. What I find funny is that fans from other teams say everyone does it, whereas for years they said only London did it. Now it’s because Branch protects us.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Why did it take six years for Niagara to be investigated? Same for Windsor?

Point is I am "reasonably certain" most, if not all teams breach the rules for player acquisition in some manner.

With respect to London, they get crapped on by other fan bases because of all the NCAA SLIDE players from the past. Heck, the new defection rule was put in place SPECIFICALLY to stop that from happening. Players and parents working teams to get the preferential destinations etc.

As I said, I know for a FACT the Ottawa 67's back in around 1994 did it. They had a deal worked out with a player (not saying who it was and there was no financial compensation) where the player declared NCAA to teams and then Ottawa drafted him late, and then a 2nd and 3rd player late all in consecutive picks. Those players played an integral part of the 1997 team. I don't know for certain but I am pretty sure the same thing happened with Jon Zion and Andrew Abou-Assaly. Jon Zion (OA year) walked away from his NHL contract mid-season to return to the 67's. You can't tell me Jeff Hunt et all didn't toss money at Zion to compensate him for nullifying the contract with the Leafs, or at least compensate him in another way.

Again, do we know for certain? I don't. But, I know enough to reasonably assert that many teams do it to varying degrees. All of which would or should be penalized.

To come on here and be sanctimonious about Niagara isn't reasonable IMO. I realize it is not you I am referring to but the tone is a little much considering the potential for this to, at some point, get blown right back in his face.

Reactions: Tarantula

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Fact, the Niagara Ice dogs have Akil Thomas’s father on the Scouting payroll. Wonder if he will be relieved of his so called scouting duties as soon as his wonder boy gets traded next year.

FACT, London Knights had Dave Gagner as a coach and he stopped being a coach the year after Sam went to the NHL and stuck for the season. He never coached since.

Somehow Gagner slide way down the draft chart.

Should we look closer into that?

These are the things that add up over time where people, like me, start to suggest there is impropriety. I am on the record MANY TIMES saying, "If you ain't cheating you ain't trying." So, I have zero issues with teams breaking the rules. Go for it if you think you can get away with it. So, I am not judging teams in any way. I just think you are going way overboard with your sanctimonious BS.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
FACT, London Knights had Dave Gagner as a coach and he stopped being a coach the year after Sam went to the NHL and stuck for the season. He never coached since.

Somehow Gagner slide way down the draft chart.

Should we look closer into that?

These are the things that add up over time where people, like me, start to suggest there is impropriety. I am on the record MANY TIMES saying, "If you ain't cheating you ain't trying." So, I have zero issues with teams breaking the rules. Go for it if you think you can get away with it. So, I am not judging teams in any way. I just think you are going way overboard with your sanctimonious BS.

Dave Gagner then went on the NHL as well, just not as a coach. Would that not be considered a promotion?
Was Dave Gagner not also coach of the Marlies team that Sam had played on?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->