Ice Dogs sanctioned for recruitment violations

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
OHL Announces Sanctions Against the Niagara IceDogs Hockey Club – Ontario Hockey League

Toronto, ON – The Ontario Hockey League, (OHL), has levied fines totalling $250,000.00 against the Niagara IceDogs Hockey Club and taken away 1st round draft selections in the 2019 and 2021 OHL Priority Selection process.

These fines follow a League-requested third-party investigation by the law firm of Lax O’Sullivan Lisus Gottlieb LLP. This investigation found that the Club violated certain League player recruitment policies.

“The League takes our commitment to our players and their player experience very seriously, which includes ensuring a fair and competitive on-ice experience among all teams. In order to maintain the integrity of this player experience and competitiveness within the league, it is critical that all clubs operate within the league recruitment guidelines. When a club ignores these guidelines, significant sanctions are required,” said David Branch, OHL Commissioner.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
As a Windsor fan I would say to other fans - be careful on how you throw stones at this one - every house has some glass in it. Windsor has taken it on the chin for a few years for this type of thing and this included some ID fans. I would hazard a guess that this will not be the last team to be caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Should be taken seriously, but I can't help but ponder how many grey areas teams have been guilty of, so to speak. Article doesn't mention the circumstances to the infractions, must be serious for a couple first rounders to be stripped.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I am of the opinion that whatever Niagara did, and Windsor before them, happens more than you think. I am also of the belief that Branch knows it does and doesn't have an issue with it as long as it gets the best players possible into his league.

I believe the reasons for sanctions against Windsor and now Niagara are more because such infractions became or were about to become public. This in an effort to keep the league in a good light.

In other words, Branch is likely of the opinion that, "Do whatever it is that your doing, but don't let it come across my desk or I'll be forced to take action."

I say all of this with no knowledge of anything untoward, but just a feeling I've had on the issue for years now.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Of course it is. And provided nothing more than what we already know is publicized, in other words, the player(s) involved, particulars on what actually happened, etc, they'll get some of the money back and probably one of the first round picks. Same deal as what went on in Windsor.

Reactions: three dog night

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
That feeling you get when you arrive home and turn on the lights to find a big stain on the livingroom carpet.....

Bad doggie, bad doggie!

Reactions: Otto

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
Of course it is. And provided nothing more than what we already know is publicized, in other words, the player(s) involved, particulars on what actually happened, etc, they'll get some of the money back and probably one of the first round picks. Same deal as what went on in Windsor.

Unless the appeal determines the sanctions were excessive the best they can hope for is getting the amount of the fines reduced. They only lost two draft picks, Windsor lost three, 1st round draft picks and two, 2nd round draft picks, which was later reduced to two, 1st round draft picks and two, 2nd round draft picks. The league is not going to half the draft pick sanctions. The league may agree to switch the later 1st round draft for a 2nd round draft pick.

Last edited:

member 71782

Regardless of the perceived severity of these or the sanctions Windsor received my only concern is with Windsor setting the bar in terms of sanctions received that whatever sanctions Naigara receives they are proportionate to what Windsor received based on the severity of the individual infractions.

If Niagara's infractions are less severe then Windsor's were the lower sanctions make sense, if they were just as severe then the sanctions should be the same.

Unfortunately us fans will never know the full story and what were the determining factors in the league's decisions.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I may be on an Island by myself but in this league, "If you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'"

I stand by that. I believe wholeheartedly that if you are not bending the rules to the point of breaking them, you aren't making enough of an effort. It is a competitive league, as such, teams really need to play on the edge on the ice as well as off it.

Windsor, and now Niagara have been caught. Big deal. I say, good for them to press the pedal to the metal. It sux getting caught for sure but at least they had the balls to make big moves.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I may be on an Island by myself but in this league, "If you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'"

I stand by that. I believe wholeheartedly that if you are not bending the rules to the point of breaking them, you aren't making enough of an effort. It is a competitive league, as such, teams really need to play on the edge on the ice as well as off it.

Windsor, and now Niagara have been caught. Big deal. I say, good for them to press the pedal to the metal. It sux getting caught for sure but at least they had the balls to make big moves.

Nellie from London expresses the same sentiment when posters get upset about London insinuations. He says embrace it, I can respect that. While disappointed this kind of thing goes on it would not surprise me at all if other clubs were up to some tomfoolery, even my home team, if it were the case,conversations are had and hands get shook.

Reactions: nelli27

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
I am of the opinion that whatever Niagara did, and Windsor before them, happens more than you think. I am also of the belief that Branch knows it does and doesn't have an issue with it as long as it gets the best players possible into his league.

I believe the reasons for sanctions against Windsor and now Niagara are more because such infractions became or were about to become public. This in an effort to keep the league in a good light.

In other words, Branch is likely of the opinion that, "Do whatever it is that your doing, but don't let it come across my desk or I'll be forced to take action."

I say all of this with no knowledge of anything untoward, but just a feeling I've had on the issue for years now.
I would say that’s bang on... no victim, no crime

Reactions: EvenSteven
Nellie from London expresses the same sentiment when posters get upset about London insinuations. He says embrace it, I can respect that. While disappointed this kind of thing goes on it would not surprise me at all if other clubs were up to some tomfoolery, even my home team, if it were the case,conversations are had and hands get shook.
The stupid ones get caught

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The stupid ones get caught
After the team from the WHL and Windsor got sanctioned you would think it prudent for any team in the CHL to simply contact the league to inquire about any prospective deal.
The league has rules in place they will simply tell a GM if he aquires a player if it's above board. If a team tries to circumvent the league and gets caught after others were heavily sanctioned it looks good on them.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
After the team from the WHL and Windsor got sanctioned you would think it prudent for any team in the CHL to simply contact the league to inquire about any prospective deal.
The league has rules in place they will simply tell a GM if he aquires a player if it's above board. If a team tries to circumvent the league and gets caught after others were heavily sanctioned it looks good on them.

Portland was fined 200K, lost 5 first round picks (later reduced to 4) and the Coach/GM was suspended.

These sanctions were for 54 player recruitment policy violations involving 14 players over a 5 year period.

The only reason we know these details is because the Winterhawks broke the WHL-imposed confidentiality agreement and published details on their website.

WHL, Portland in winter of discontent

Here’s my simple take on the current Niagara situation, given that the CHL tends very strongly to follow precedent.

First, no current members of the team’s management team or coaching staff received a suspension. Again, look at the Portland precedent — my guess is that the management/ coaching staff individuals responsible for the IceDog’s violations are no longer working within the CHL’s jurisdictional reach.

Secondly, the sanctions against the IceDogs are less severe than those levied against Portland. The financial penalties are more or less a wash ($200K vs $250K), given 7 years worth of inflation. The draft pick penalties (5 first rounders vs 2) are in the 40% range.

So my guess is that we are dealing with roughly 15-20 offences/4-7 players over the (undisclosed) period of time investigated by the Law firm hired by the league. That would put the sanctions more or less in line with Portland’s.

With the exception of bullying/ hazing offences, the CHL does not have a history of imposing such heavy penalties for “1-time” offences. Systemic offences over time get punished in this way. 1-time offences are unlikely to ever reach our ears.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
...heard of dads hired as scouts....A sarnia draft got a car..heard that from a scout...years ago..player not in nhl any more...agents should be banned who are in on these shananigans...too

Knights2729

Oct 24, 2016
London
This is very interesting who’s to say they aren’t investigating London aswell

Nothing better to do then trash London for something they have never been caught doing huh??? You should be happy the Knights are in the league because if they werent then the people on here wouldnt have as much to bitch about.

Last edited:
Reactions: OMG67

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad