icarus's 2nd annual last-minute MOCK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

icarus

Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
Like last year, I planned to be well-researched, reading all the GM's comments in the papers and whatnot but ran out of time. :banghead: So here is my semi-informed mock draft (tradeless). Please do not flame it because I am really sensitive. Just kidding, go nuts.

1 Washington - Ovechkin
2 Pittsburgh -Malkin
3 Chicago - Ladd
4 Columbus - Barker
5 Phoenix - Tukonen
6 NY Rangers - Schremp
7 Florida - Schwarz
8 Carolina - Thelen
9 Anaheim - Olesz
10 Atlanta - Radulov
11 Los Angeles - Montoya
12 Minnesota - Wolski
13 Buffalo - Meszaros
14 Edmonton - Stafford
15 Nashville - Picard
16 NY Islanders - Chipchura
17 St. Louis - Smid
18 Montreal - Green
19 Calgary - Korpikoski
20 Dallas - Dubnyk
21 Colorado - Lisin
22 New Jersey - Schultz
23 Ottawa - Schneider
24 NY Rangers (from Toronto) - O'Neill
25 Edmonton (from Philadelphia) - Bolland
26 Vancouver - Valabik
27 Washington (from Boston) - Lepisto
28 San Jose - Nokelainen
29 Washington (optional from Detroit) - Sindel
30 Tampa Bay - Zajac

icarus

Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
Starsfan09 said:
In a word, NO

How do you know? It could happen. It probably won't happen (as with most of these picks), but you never know. With Cash traded, the Stars have a need and it is hard to see a player at 20 who is clearly and unanimously the best player available. It is conceivable that Dubnyk is who Dallas considers the BPA here (or at least close enough to select based on a team need).

But Dubnyk could very well go to Calgary at 19... I'm hoping it doesn't happen, but Sutter has said that if there was a #1 goalie available, he might take him.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
icarus said:
How do you know? It could happen. It probably won't happen (as with most of these picks), but you never know. With Cash traded, the Stars have a need and it is hard to see a player at 20 who is clearly and unanimously the best player available. It is conceivable that Dubnyk is who Dallas considers the BPA here (or at least close enough to select based on a team need).

But Dubnyk could very well go to Calgary at 19... I'm hoping it doesn't happen, but Sutter has said that if there was a #1 goalie available, he might take him.

Cash was traded because of Ellis, Smith, and Stephan. 3 quality goalie prospects, with 2(Ellis and especially Stephan), having #1 goalie potential. Another potential #1 goalie is definately not needed. The only way I see them taking a goalie in the top 2 rounds is if one of Montoya/Schwarz somehow falls to #20...and even then, they may pass.

icarus

Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
Starsfan09 said:
Cash was traded because of Ellis, Smith, and Stephan. 3 quality goalie prospects, with 2(Ellis and especially Stephan), having #1 goalie potential. Another potential #1 goalie is definately not needed. The only way I see them taking a goalie in the top 2 rounds is if one of Montoya/Schwarz somehow falls to #20...and even then, they may pass.

Hmmm, okay I guess I didn't really realise the Stars hold those guys in such high esteem. I consider Stephan a good prospect but haven't thought of Ellis or Smith as anything better than average. But Dallas must really see something in them in order to trade the best goaltending prospect they had.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
icarus said:
Hmmm, okay I guess I didn't really realise the Stars hold those guys in such high esteem. I consider Stephan a good prospect but haven't thought of Ellis or Smith as anything better than average. But Dallas must really see something in them in order to trade the best goaltending prospect they had.

Well Ellis essentially carried the Idaho Steelheads(ECHL) to a championship. He got to them when they were down 2-0 in the 1st round, and he was spectacular the entire playoffs, gaining MVP honors. He will most likely be backing up Turco next year. Cash has the most potential, but he is also easily the most inconsistant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad