Confirmed with Link: Ian Scott 1 of 3 Goalies Invited to Canada WJC Camp

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
On the broadcast last night Bob mentioned Scott is an unsigned leafs prospect. Can someone please explain why he wouldn’t be sign at this point?

He's technically unsigned but he will be signed very shortly. I'd wager he'll get his ELC right after the WJCs.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
On the broadcast last night Bob mentioned Scott is an unsigned leafs prospect. Can someone please explain why he wouldn’t be sign at this point?
Strictly looking at stats he’s been garbage up until this year so maybe Leafs management was ready to cut bait until his recent performance. Now it’s likely a non-debate whether he gets offered an ELC

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
A little research suggests that DiPietro was the defacto starter in Hockey Canada's eyes last spring with them hauling him over to Europe for the World Championships. He'll have to really stink I suspect to lose the starting spot. We've all seen it happen. He'll need 2 poor tournament games to lose his spot.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
A little research suggests that DiPietro was the defacto starter in Hockey Canada's eyes last spring with them hauling him over to Europe for the World Championships. He'll have to really stink I suspect to lose the starting spot. We've all seen it happen. He'll need 2 poor tournament games to lose his spot.

Eh, Canada rarely has a sole starter. One guy starts the opener, other gets game 2, one starts game 3 and then the starter for the NYE game is generally the starter for the medal rounds.

MD will get the opener. Scott game 2, and then likely MD gets game 3, and then the choice will be made.

If Scott stands on his head in game 2, and MD struggles in game 3, then we could see Scott given the chance against Russia to get the starting role in the medal rounds

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
About Scott, I was immediately impressed with his basic goalie skills at his 1st rookie tournament. He's very mobile, he gets up and down with ease, looks big on his knees, gets out to play the puck on shoot in's well. Then once he played shooters kept finding holes in him. He seems to have a great template for goalie pro without great results until this season. Most optimistic I've been about a drafted goalie since the Rask/Pogge prospect combo.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Both Scott and DiPietro looked good last night for Canada. Identical stat lines, each stopping 18 of 19 shots for the game.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Just read an article about this kid. He does look really calm in net. It's nice to know that he may turn out to be really good.

People will say well yeah it's easy on a powerhouse team, but so far he is out playing Dipietro in the tournament (although it is early) and he's had a great season in the WHL with a 943 save percentage. Pretty impressive either way.

Sometimes it's harder to keep focused when you have a break way etc and you have only faced 15 or 20 shots in a game.

It's just nice to have a decent goalie prospect. It seems like it's been a while. Hopefully he can be the #1 on Canada.

We have Woll coming too who has been decent. I hope these guys get a shot in the AHL soon. Not sure exactly when that can happen but they need some help there. Plus itll be nice to see how they do against that type of competition.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Just read an article about this kid. He does look really calm in net. It's nice to know that he may turn out to be really good.

People will say well yeah it's easy on a powerhouse team, but so far he is out playing Dipietro in the tournament (although it is early) and he's had a great season in the WHL with a 943 save percentage. Pretty impressive either way.

Sometimes it's harder to keep focused when you have a break way etc and you have only faced 15 or 20 shots in a game.

It's just nice to have a decent goalie prospect. It seems like it's been a while. Hopefully he can be the #1 on Canada.

We have Woll coming too who has been decent. I hope these guys get a shot in the AHL soon. Not sure exactly when that can happen but they need some help there. Plus itll be nice to see how they do against that type of competition.

I'm more bullish on Joseph Woll than Ian Scott to be quite honest.. but we'll see goalie picks are hit or miss. A ton of late round goalie and unsigned free agents end up being successful. It's hard to scout the position with a limited number of spots on the roster/playing time.Boston College is not the greatest team this year and Woll has been carrying them night after night

Scott will likely be in the AHL next year.. Woll we'll see if he goes back for his Sr. year

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I'm more bullish on Joseph Woll than Ian Scott to be quite honest.. but we'll see goalie picks are hit or miss. A ton of late round goalie and unsigned free agents end up being successful. It's hard to scout the position with a limited number of spots on the roster/playing time.Boston College is not the greatest team this year and Woll has been carrying them night after night

Scott will likely be in the AHL next year.. Woll we'll see if he goes back for his Sr. year

Sometimes being a 'goalie or defenseman on a weak team can be the greatest experience you can get as a kid.

My nephew is a soccer goalie, and his first few years his team were really dreadful, even at under 11 age group. But he was getting all kinds of action week in, week out. Brought him on no end, now he plays for a good team, and he gets more time to use his feet, which is vital as a modern goalie in soccer. But his handling and reactions are brilliant for his age because he got depended on so often.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

I've heard that Woll plans on going pro next year, but that's not something I can confirm. Having them both split games with the marlies could be a good thing imo.
Goalies are voodoo but I think they both look good. I find it close between them because Scott was on a horrible team when we drafted him, but Woll has been solid for years.

Reactions: Burnie97

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
I've heard that Woll plans on going pro next year, but that's not something I can confirm. Having them both split games with the marlies could be a good thing imo.
Goalies are voodoo but I think they both look good. I find it close between them because Scott was on a horrible team when we drafted him, but Woll has been solid for years.

Maybe they would have to be REALLY good to go with 2 rookie goalies in the AHL

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada

Thanks for the info. I wasn't exactly sure where they were in terms of AHL eligibility.

So possibly they could both be on the Marlies next year. Most likely Woll goes back one more year on his college team.

I saw another good post below yours about being on a bad team can sometimes be good in a way to for developing. I would agree, as long as your mentally strong. It might take a toll on some guys.

Either way really glad to have goalies in the pipeline that have a chance at developing and being ready when Andy is older.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Ray Ferraro talks about Scott on TSN1050. [See the 18:45-minute mark near the end of the audio.]
He apparently was sent to the Marlies after his WHL season last year and spent 2 1/2 months practising and developing as a goalie prospect. He got extra tutoring from goalie coach Pierre O'Greco who's now with Lou Lamoriello and the Islanders. His coach said he returned this season as a completely different player. Amazing story. He's 6'3" and a lanky 180 pounds. He has a .943 save percentage this year compared to a .890 last year.

Ferraro said Scott could play game #3 against Finland.
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-10...re-on-nylander-andersen-team-canada-1.1230186

Last edited:

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Ray Ferraro talks about Scott on TSN1050. [See the 18:45-minute mark near the end of the audio.]
He apparently was sent to the Marlies after his WHL season last year and spent 2 1/2 months practising and developing as a goalie prospect. He got extra tutoring from goalie coach Pierre O'Greco who's now with Lou Lamoriello and the Islanders. His coach said he returned this season as a completely different player. Amazing story. He's 6'3" and a lanky 180 pounds. He has a .943 save percentage this year compared to a .890 last year.

Ferraro said Scott could play game #3 against Finland.
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-10...re-on-nylander-andersen-team-canada-1.1230186
Mikey DiPietro will start Canada's final pre-competition game against Finland on Sunday, but will be replaced by Ian Scott halfway through.

"That gives them both the chance to play in Vancouver with all those fans and that environment before the tournament starts," head coach Tim Hunter explained. "So, they will have seen it, lived it. We're expecting it to be a full crowd. And the rink boards, glass, everything, these guys have to get used to all that stuff, the way the pucks rim, the way the pucks bounce off the boards and we want them to experience that in a game."

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Mikey DiPietro will start Canada's final pre-competition game against Finland on Sunday, but will be replaced by Ian Scott halfway through.

"That gives them both the chance to play in Vancouver with all those fans and that environment before the tournament starts," head coach Tim Hunter explained. "So, they will have seen it, lived it. We're expecting it to be a full crowd. And the rink boards, glass, everything, these guys have to get used to all that stuff, the way the pucks rim, the way the pucks bounce off the boards and we want them to experience that in a game."

Solid move by Hunter and neither keeper feels slighted.

Gonna miss the game with family stuff but I'll watch it later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->