Confirmed with Link: Ian Scott 1 of 3 Goalies Invited to Canada WJC Camp

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
I'm looking forward to seeing Scott play. I don't get to see any west coast teams until the mem-cup. My take away with his performance is he must have very good mechanics to get drafted with a couple terrible seasons in the books. So kudos to the Leafs scouting staff for looking at the player, not the numbers!

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Dipietro will probably be the starter but that hasnt meant much in the last WJC. Maybe he has a poor showing and Scott snags the job mid-competition. If Ian can continue on his remarkable first half he’s going to be tough to deny the starters job

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
fair to say that neither is a top 10 goalie prospect at this point then? I always find goalies very hard to peg unless they're 1st round picks

My top ranked goalies that I can think of in Tiers

1. Sorokin , Shestyorkin
fair to say that neither is a top 10 goalie prospect at this point then? I always find goalies very hard to peg unless they're 1st round picks

My top ranked goalies that I can think of in tiers.

1. Sorokin , Shestyorkin
2. Samsonov, Hart, Demko
3. Dipietro, Oettinger, Woll, Point , Gustavsson, Husso, Luukkonen.
4. Scott, Skinner, McNiven, Rodrigue

Reactions: Randy Randerson

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Justin Pogge over Tuukka Rask. What a time to be a Leafs fan all those years ago :facepalm:

Losing rask has gotten easier and easier to stomach over the year. He's never has really panned out as expected. On some incredible Boston teams, he has never won a cup, and has been mostly a disappointment in the Playoffs.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Yup, always the mid/late round picks or undrafted that end up having the best careers lol

Well one neat stat, that maybe differentiates him from other drafted goalies, is that Scott was drafted 9th overall in the 2014 WHL Bantam Draft... highest in that draft since none other than Carey Price at 7th overall in 2002.

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
I hope Ian Scott will develop into a solid NHL goalie, but lets not forget that the WJHC is an overhyped tournament.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Always? Just off the top of my head: Price,Brodeur, Fleury, Luongo and Rask were all first rounders, and there are many more I am forgetting.
I obviously didn't literally mean ALL good goalies are mid/late rounders. There is definitely way more however. Here's a quick few HHOF/great goalies that were mid/late round/undrafted: Roy, Hasek, Rinne, Belfour, Joseph and Andersen ;)

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I'm looking forward to seeing Scott play. I don't get to see any west coast teams until the mem-cup. My take away with his performance is he must have very good mechanics to get drafted with a couple terrible seasons in the books. So kudos to the Leafs scouting staff for looking at the player, not the numbers!
Our Scout from Regina drafted him into the WHL...Dirk. Kid can play and always was considered to be a very good Goalie.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
It was the WJC hype machine that made that trade for us.

This tournaments makes Gods out of these kids (in Canada) and its often problematic.

Small sample size combined with junior age competition can make stars out of future career minor leaguers.

It’s the body of work over hundreds of games and the player trajectory combined with work ethic that really determines future success. Not just a single tournament.

Marner mostly stunk it up at the WJC and look where he’s at today.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Small sample size combined with junior age competition can make stars out of future career minor leaguers.

It’s the body of work over hundreds of games and the player trajectory combined with work ethic that really determines future success. Not just a single tournament.

Marner mostly stunk it up at the WJC and look where he’s at today.

Well yes, their abilities arent changing because of the WJC, but their public perception certainly does. The tournament turns these kids into superstars in Canada. See Curtis Lazar for example.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
having not only on but two good goalie prospects is a nice change of pace, hopefully at least one will make it.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Rask put up insane numbers at that WJC from what I remember. Had a 56 save shutout or something crazy like that.

But he wasnt Canadian. Rask was clearly the better prospect (1st round pick, won goalie of the tournament) but our idiot management group bought into the WJC hype train that takes over this country ever winter for Pogge. Or its likely they felt there would be considerable backlash trading the "star" Canadian goalie prospect.

Last edited:
Reactions: realgoodleafs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad