TSN: [Ian Mendes] Alfredsson will be in the building for Phillips’ jersey retirement

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Alfredsson will be in the building for Phillips’ jersey retirement!

The franchise icon is going to make a return to Canadian Tire Centre on Tuesday night, when his long-time teammate Chris Phillips will have his No. 4 jersey retired to the rafters, where it will forever hang alongside Alfredsson’s No. 11.
While Alfredsson’s exact role in the pre-game ceremony is still being ironed out – he’s not expected to have a major speaking part – he wanted to be there in person to support Phillips.
“It’s going to be pretty cool. I think that with the history we have together, I’m really looking forward to the night,” Alfredsson told TSN 1200. “It’s going to be special for him and to see his No. 4 up next to mine will be pretty cool.”

Daniel-Alfredsson-Ottawa-Senators-1040x572.jpg

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
That Phillips - Volchenkov pairing was something else back then. It broke my heart when he left for NJ not gonna lie.

They never loved you like we did, Anton.

To be fair, his best years were definitely behind him when he played in NJ. That pairing was dynamite, though.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Why has Alfie been away from the building for over a year, busy or the obvious? Didn't find anything in the article about it and it was my first question.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Still think its embarrassing to retire chris Phillips. Real low benchmark

How many guys play more than 1000 games for the team that drafted them?

Who gives a flying **** about the benchmark? Phillips was a top pairing dman for us for a long, long time.

"Let's celebrate one of our best players who played his entire career for us!"
"Bruh, we are way too cool to care and he is beneath us anyway"

Can we just celebrate something without people complaining about the merit of the celebration?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Eh, I think the criticism is valid honestly. It feels like this probably doesn't happen if the franchise had a little more history and/or success.

That doesn't mean I can't be extremely happy for the guy on a personal level, but a jersey retirement seems like a tad much.

If the bar is set at "this guy played for us for a really long time" it opens the door to others (namely Chris Neil) who could make a similar argument (I'm sure some around here would be thrilled if they retired #25 as well, but I'm not in that group).

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
You talk about a lowbar and then use the Hall of "We Let Almost Everyone In Because We Have to Justify Our Existence" as a benchmark?!

:biglaugh:

Aside from a few inductees, most were superstars with many accomplishments. That's what we should strive to do. Not the exceptions, but the majority. As in superstars with many accomplishments. Not just "he was a second pair player for a while and never left us".

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Who gives a flying **** about the benchmark? Phillips was a top pairing dman for us for a long, long time.

Can we just celebrate something without people complaining about the merit of the celebration?

He was a top-two defenceman in terms of ATOI 4 times in 17 seasons.

Not a single person is saying he shouldn't be celebrated, so you can tone down the hyperbole. Whether or not the player deserves to have the highest honour this franchise can bestow upon someone is (obviously) up for debate.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He was a top-two defenceman in terms of ATOI 4 times in 17 seasons.

Not a single person is saying he shouldn't be celebrated, so you can tone down the hyperbole. Whether or not the player deserves to have the highest honour this franchise can bestow upon someone is (obviously) up for debate.
Teams do this all the time, Wendal Clark, Adam Graves, Bob Nystrom, Ray Bourque (Col), etc.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Eh, I think the criticism is valid honestly. It feels like this probably doesn't happen if the franchise had a little more history and/or success.

That doesn't mean I can't be extremely happy for the guy on a personal level, but a jersey retirement seems like a tad much.

If the bar is set at "this guy played for us for a really long time" it opens the door to others (namely Chris Neil) who could make a similar argument (I'm sure some around here would be thrilled if they retired #25 as well, but I'm not in that group).

Chris Neil absolutely deserves to have his number retired by the Ottawa Senators. We are a very young franchise, we should celebrate legacy players at this stage.

Obviously the Habs or Leafs wouldn't but they have an established history, we don't. Part of getting our own is enshrining our legacy players.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I hope the building is full that night, Phillips deserves at least that. I think attendance on that night might be very telling of how the city feels about the team right now.

If it is a full enough house, it will pretty much re-assure the organization that the fans simply need a good reason (I.e, a winning team) and they will show up.

If it is another sub 15K attendance, it may very well prove that the fans are alot more disinterested in the team than we might think.

I hope that it is a sell out to be honest.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014

Okay, there are parts of this that need to be addressed.

Phillips was a top-pairing d-man for maybe 3 seasons: 06-07, 07-08, and 08-09, and that was partially by default as Redden's game began to really drop-off in that first season. Otherwise, he was a solid top 4 guy, but never a star.

One of those seasons saw the Sens make it to the Finals with a team that, on paper, was far weaker than any of the previous 3 seasons' teams. However, if we're being honest, the Sens got some pretty favourable match-ups through the first 3 rounds. Luck is a part of any playoff run, but let's not pretend that any part of the 06-07 Sens was world-beating outside of the Pizza line. The rest of the team was simply solid enough. Phillips and Volchenkov were solid, but their inability to move the puck up ice was always a problem, and, like several aspects of that Sens team, got exposed by a legitimately good Ducks team. Yes, the reffing sucked, but it doesn't change the fact that the Ducks were just that much deeper. They also benefitted from having 2 legitimate stars on D while the Sens had none.

07-08? After that hot start, which was largely due to overplaying the Pizza line, the team just about fell off a cliff down the stretch, limped into the playoffs, and was swept with ease. Phillips and Volchenkov sure weren't stopping Crosby and Malkin from having their way with the Sens, and while that doesn't fall entirely on them, it serves as a reminder that they struggled just as much as anyone.

Say what you will about Corvo's defensive game but without his puck-moving ability (as Redden continued to decline, and Meszaros never really lived up to his potential), the team's defence-corps was effectively neutered for the rest of the season. Phillips and Volchenkov were good at boxing guys out and blocking shots, but when your top-pairing struggles at puck retrieval and transition, and the other guys aren't that good, it's not a recipe for success.

08-09? The first year the team missed the playoffs after over a decade of qualifying? Are we really going to hold that up as proof of Phillips being a star? The lack of depth on that d-corps was a major reason the team struggled. At this point, Phillips was over 30 and past his prime, and it would show with his inconsistency going forward. He had maybe 2 seasons that could be called solid afterward.

I guess you could argue he was a top-pairing guy in 09-10, but that team wasn't especially good either. Karlsson was a rookie, and while he showed promise, especially in the playoffs, he wasn't quite there. Is that what we're using to qualify Phillips as a star? That he played top-pairing minutes on some mediocre teams?

TLDR: Phillips was a solid player who had a few big moments, but not a star, and we shouldn't exaggerate what he was. Sure, he played his whole lengthy career here, and is somehow still willing to tolerate Euge, but I don't think that should automatically qualify someone for jersey retirement. We have the Ring of Honour for guys like this. Maybe if he'd won a Cup or two with the Sens I could see it (a la Ken Daneyko with the Devils), but he didn't, so :dunno:

Reactions: DrEasy

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

If they retire #4 they definitely need to also retire #25. Neil fulfills all the requirement that Phillips did (played all his career with the Sens, and his first name is Chris), and on top of that he was a fan favourite, played a grueling style of hockey, literally spilling his blood for the team.

But in an ideal world, in an alternate timeline, we would be retiring #11, #65, #3, #61 (well, eventually, as far as the last 3 are concerned) and maybe #19 as Sens lifers. Certainly not #4.

Reactions: stempniaksen

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Chris Neil absolutely deserves to have his number retired by the Ottawa Senators. We are a very young franchise, we should celebrate legacy players at this stage.

Obviously the Habs or Leafs wouldn't but they have an established history, we don't. Part of getting our own is enshrining our legacy players.
I think Phillips should but not Neil. Not similar players or similar impacts.

Reactions: GCK

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Still think its embarrassing to retire chris Phillips. Real low benchmark

Why he gave everything he had to the team for 17 years, why does a guy need lots of points in order to get credit for working hard at one place his entire career?
Team first, good around the community, hard worker and an all around nice guy.

Reactions: GCK and Variable26

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Why he gave everything he had to the team for 17 years, why does a guy need lots of points in order to get credit for working hard at one place his entire career?
Team first, good around the community, hard worker and an all around nice guy.
Chris Neil fits that’s criteria too and retiring his number would be laughable.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Isn't it rate for a player to play 1000+ games for only one team, and Philips being one of like 5 to have done it with the team who drafted him and I think he's the only 1OA to fit that. Nothing impressive but still remarkable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad