News Article: Ian Cole

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
I can't open it due to the fact I don't pay for any sites. I will say that Cole has been getting some press this year and even the Hockey Guy on youtube listed him as one of the leagues most under rated players. If this site allows a copy and paste it would be appreciated to read the article you posted and thanks...Ian

Reactions: a mangy Meowth

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
I can't open it due to the fact I don't pay for any sites. I will say that Cole has been getting some press this year and even the Hockey Guy on youtube listed him as one of the leagues most under rated players. If this site allows a copy and paste it would be appreciated to read the article you posted and thanks...Ian
Basically it says he had to have cortisone injections after games in the playoff last year just to play. He has a medical condition that causes extra bone to grow in his hips, and it essentially wore the labrums in his hips away to where he losing cartilage and was bone on bone. They had to "rebuild" his labrums. Had he not had the surgeries he was told he would have hip replacements by the age of 35. He couldn't walk for weeks after the surgeries and didn't start walking till August. The fact that he was skating as soon as he was, and only missed 4 games is a minor miracle.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
We can't cut/paste the whole article. I may even be violating the rules by posting this much. But here's a clip.

Ian Cole knows the numbers. He is beyond aware he is four points away from setting a career-high in that department while realizing there is still more than two months remaining in the regular season.

Or how he is on pace for 49 penalty minutes and how that is a drastic reduction from the 115 minutes he spent inside the box last year, which was his first with the Colorado Avalanche.

But even he is quick to point out that this is not his best season.

“I think me playing my best isn’t necessarily defined by points or anything like that,” Cole explained. “Yes, points per game has been very good and I want to try to continue to try to do that. But I don’t know if my game is necessarily judged on that. I don’t want to say, ‘I’m so good. This is the best year of my career because I have 20 points in 40 games’ or whatever it is.”

Says the man who used an entire offseason to go from having two wonky hips to not being able to walk to ending the summer by skating well ahead of schedule.

All while missing only four regular-season games when his own team initially believed he would not even return until December.

Reactions: larueskee

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The real nugget in that article is hidden. :naughty::laugh:

CPM machines are a damn miracle on how quickly they can help get people back to normal.

larueskee

Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Continuous Passive Motion. I sold my first one ( Sutter ) in 1982. It was for a total knee patient.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Oh oh. I wanna throw this into the McJesus Masterson thread. McD rehabbed a knee and is on pace to set a career best by 9%. Cole had double hip surgery, came back 2 months ahead of schedule, and is on pace to beat his career best by 58%.

We may bish about him, but you gotta give him props for that.

I'll stir the pot.

Last edited:

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Continuous Passive Motion. I sold my first one ( Sutter ) in 1982. It was for a total knee patient.

Dumb question and I don't want to hijack the thread. Would a CPM machine work for someone like me that needs an sacro-iliac (SI) fusion? I've got arthritic degeneration. I've never heard of CPM machines before.

larueskee

Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Dumb question and I don't want to hijack the thread. Would a CPM machine work for someone like me that needs an sacro-iliac (SI) fusion? I've got arthritic degeneration. I've never heard of CPM machines before.
I don't think they make a machine for the vertebrae and surrounding joints but I could be wrong. Most CPM devices are used to speed recovery of commonly used muscles and joints. We first started seeing them on seniors after total knees and hip surgeries. My experience in the field was years ago so I could be wrong. What I think you might need would be some decompression exercise or possibly a Teeter device ( inversion therapy ). I hope this helps.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I don't think they make a machine for the vertebrae and surrounding joints but I could be wrong. Most CPM devices are used to speed recovery of commonly used muscles and joints. We first started seeing them on seniors after total knees and hip surgeries. My experience in the field was years ago so I could be wrong. What I think you might need would be some decompression exercise or possibly a Teeter device ( inversion therapy ). I hope this helps.

Thanks!

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Well Ian Cole has always played a physical game so he has always been hard on his body. Less penalty minutes this season means he's not being as aggressive as he usually is which is goodbye for his health. Although he is still getting lots of ice time which speaks volumes about him as a player and how important he is for Colorado.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
I wonder if that Masterton thread is "dead" now or if the Oilers fans can't think of a rebuttal to go against Cole.

larueskee

Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Well Ian Cole has always played a physical game so he has always been hard on his body. Less penalty minutes this season means he's not being as aggressive as he usually is which is goodbye for his health. Although he is still getting lots of ice time which speaks volumes about him as a player and how important he is for Colorado.
I think the hits are not the problem or issue as to the reason he had these surgeries. Remember that Cole played on back to back cups during the 2015-2016 and 2016- 2017 seasons. During that span Cole played in 200 games. During the second cup run (2016-2017 ) Cole actually led all Penguin defensemen in cumulative ice time during the season. 81 games while Letang was out for half the season and missed the playoffs completely. So my suspicion is that wear and tear is what required the surgeries and not the hits. I suspect that the hits are down due to a change in his style or team play. I will also comment that Cole had a good portion of his career put on ice by the coaching staff in STL. He was ( in my view ) hidden due to the fact that he would have posted much better point and stats totals than recently acquired and free agent extension given to Jay Bouwmesiter. Its also rumored that he once took the last jelly doughnut that Ken Hitchcock had his eye on.

Reactions: lakai17

larueskee

Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Another Ian Cole Article:
Ian Cole knows Colorado Avalanche have to walk before Stanley Cup run

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- NHL players spend their offseasons in a variety of ways. For example, Colorado Avalanche defenseman Ian Cole spent three months being unable to walk.
Cole was diagnosed with femoroacetabular impingement in both of his hips, a condition in which extra bone growth around the hip joint causes discomfort and potentially larger problems. After the Avalanche's second-round elimination against the San Jose Sharks last postseason -- one in which Cole played through considerable pain -- it was time for surgery to correct the issue. Not only for the immediate future of the 30-year-old defenseman's NHL career, but to avoid possible hip replacement later in life.

Link: to article:Ian Cole knows Avalanche have to walk before Cup run

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad