Confirmed with Link: Ian Cole Traded To Columbus

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Has anyone stopped and thought that maybe Dorion asked to get the 2020 pick instead of this year's in anticipation of having a bigger scouting team? They have a skeleton crew this year. It's not unreasonable to assume they will hire more scouts if they're rebuilding.

Same reason we got the 2019 3rd from Pitts instead of their 2018 one.

I did stop and consider this, and I came to the conclusion that by 2020 Eugene will have fired all scouts and Dorion will be basing his picks in rounds 1-3 on ISS rankings alone. Will make picks in rounds 4-7 pretty interesting though.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
While true, the difference in expected value of an early third to a late third isn't very much at all. certainly not worth getting worked up about.

I agree that on it's own it may not be that much but it counts if the player your scout who has that selection wants is gone just before you pick. So every little thing helps.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I agree that on it's own it may not be that much but it counts if the player your scout who has that selection wants is gone just before you pick. So every little thing helps.

If you have a guy you like that much you throw a late pick in to move up. The swap is the equivalent of a 5th or 6th round pick. Maybe a 4th if we're being generous. Yes, it's something, but not anything worth worrying about imo. On top of that, by that point, the guy you want might not even require you trading up, by the third round, team's draft boards really are probably more dissimilar than similar.

Reactions: HavlatMach9

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'd imagine Dorion wanted to get as much out of the way early as possible considering his entire front office consists of him, Randy Lee, and an unpaid intern from Algonquin.

Maybe that factored into the strange substandard return since Dorion didn't want to play hardball and wait until 3 to try and move Cole.

Although, this deadline we saw more than one team acquire picks that were 2+ drafts away. Vegas did it as well previously when they acquired assets during the expansion draft, so maybe this is just a new trend surfacing.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If you look at the overall trade market today, it was really weak. Teams have seemingly learned their lessons from past deadline overpayments, and as a result offers today were weak. Anyone trying to trade an expiring asset like Cole, Vanek, etc. was reduced to taking what they could get. It looks like a lousy return, but that's how the market was this year.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017

I believe this is Ian's great grandfather, Nat King Cole.

Unforgettable is really fitting. Not sure how to move on from trading him. :/

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The cap and guarnteed contracts have lessened value,on everything....Far too much risk to take on a big money deal,or to sign one...We all know that once we give EK 10+ mil over 8 years ,that there will be some posion years that comes with it,and he will be unmoveable...

The trend seems to give your talent long term after their ELC,and then move them after it

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This was obviously a Randy Lee deal. A very Randy Lee type player was acquired as part of this deal, part of the reason Belleville is such a disaster.
I think this is nonsense, from what I have seen Randy Lee has next to no say & PD makes all the player decisions. IMO Lee is an administrator for Belleville & nothing more. It was probably a throw in to eliminate a contract & get them under 50 contracts, something like that.

Definitely not a fan of Dorion, but if that's all he can get there must be a reason for that
It probably comes down to money & if he has to assure that not a lot of money comes back than he has to adjust his negotiating to allow for that. He seems to need a third party on almost every trade to get the money just right & reduce his expenditure as much as possible. This looks to me like EM has told him to shed as much money as possible & everybody is on the table, don't you think?

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
No idea who Nick Moutrey is. Looked up his stats. Not bad for a D. Oh wait, he's 22 year old forward. This is definitively a contract dump.

I just don't understand how we didn't get a bigger return for a legitimate NHL D.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad