I wouldn’t be surprised if Matthews won the Art Ross

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It's not impossible. He's obviously very talented. I just don't see him doing it with McDavid and the rest of the pack. A lot has to go right for Matthews and wrong for everyone else (especially McDavid).

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
This is what I have been saying.

He’s one of the top 5v5 players in terms of points per 60.

Now he’s going to get top powerplay minutes on a stacked unit?

It’d be insane to not acknowledge him as a candidate for the Art Ross

his PP p60 has always been excellent, too.

not just 5v5.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Toews career high is higher than Matthews career high... I wonder which one is more unlikely.

The way I see it, Toews has a PPG of 0.86, while Matthews has a PPG of 0.95.

Given what we know of their usage, it seems clear that Matthews is the better candidate.

Mar 26, 2010
8 points through 3 games. Doesn’t even have Nylander back yet. Anyone watching him can see how much more dangerous he looked this year.

Just my opinion. Where do you see him finishing in the Art Ross race. Let me know!
He is going to win it.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I don't even expect him to lead his team in points
Then you're not watching.

The biggest eye opener is comparing him to Tavares. JT looks like a franchise C most nights (4 goals, 3 games), but Matthews is just head and shoulders above him and it's even more clear watching them in the same line-up. Funny though, last year many on here were saying how AM34 isn't in the Stamkos, Tavares, Scheifele, etc. class yet. 40 goal rookie season, PPG sophomore season, and I would not be surprised to see a 100pt year coming.

Its crazy what watching games can do.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
The way I see it, Toews has a PPG of 0.86, while Matthews has a PPG of 0.95.

Given what we know of their usage, it seems clear that Matthews is the better candidate.

Matthews played 2 seasons in the NHL and only one full season, it’s a weird way to compare them. It’s your opinion though.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I'm sure you didn't mind it when there was those negative Matthews thread on the main board, like the one about him not wearing an A on his jersey.

For every negative Leafs thread, there’s another premature thread, like this one.

It’s funny, in the “Do the Leafs have the worst defence” you’re quick to say that it’s premature but there’s no objection in this thread. Color me shocked.

Oh wait. It’s only premature when the thread is “negative” to your Leafs, but if it’s positive, nope. It’s manifest destiny.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
For every negative Leafs thread, there’s another premature thread, like this one.

It’s funny, in the “Do the Leafs have the worst defence” you’re quick to say that it’s premature but there’s no objection in this thread. Color me shocked.
If threads like that can be posted in order to take shots at them, I don't mind it when a positive thread likes this is also posted.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Matthews played 2 seasons in the NHL and only one full season, it’s a weird way to compare them. It’s your opinion though.

Matthews age means his production is more likely to increase, so I don’t see how that should negatively affect him when looking at projections.

He’s played 88/89% of games. I do agree with you that if Matthews misses 10% of the season, it would take him out of the running.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
You’ve missed the point completely.

If one thread is premature, this is premature too. At least be consistent.

Please take your fan base to fan base arguing elsewhere. This thread is for legitimate discussion about a top young star being a candidate for an award.

Much like the discussion earlier in the week about Evgeni Kuznetsov on the same topic.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You’ve missed the point completely.

If one thread is premature, this is premature too. At least be consistent.
Just like the thread about Matthews not wearing an A was posted without Babcock's full comment where he still called him a leader, yet all the Leafs haters didn't mind that topic being on here. So don't tell me about being consistent.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Please take your fan base to fan base arguing elsewhere. This thread is for legitimate discussion about a top young star being a candidate for an award.

Much like the discussion earlier in the week about Evgeni Kuznetsov on the same topic.

Uh, no. I won’t.

It’s just as dumb as a premature hot take as the “Do the Leafs have the worst defence?” Thread.

It’s three f***ing games.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Uh, no. I won’t.

It’s just as dumb as a premature hot take as the “Do the Leafs have the worst defence?” Thread.

It’s three ****ing games.

You don’t need to agree. It’s my opinion, and there is some good discussion to be had.

Just don’t derail the thread. If you continue, I will need to use the report function on your posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->