OT: I won the draft lottery in my fantasy replay league that has a 1 year delay; who do I take?

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I won't bore you with the game mechanics, other than to say we pick players on a one year delay, and every year, the player's performance in our league is based on their real life performance last year, plus of course their futures.

So that's maybe a better question: given a one year time lapse in evaluating results, who do you draft first overall from last year's class?

Right now I'm basically 100% sold on Owen Power, to play alongside Nurse, Montour, and Rasmus Andersson, turning my top 3 into a true top 4 (Zadorov and Schmidt for a bottom pair)

I'm solid enough at forward:
Laine - Pettersson - Mangiapane
Jarnkrok - Tavares - Eberle
Nyquist - Zacha - Mantha
Labanc - Sissons - Dvorak

Goalies are Saros - Brossoit

But like every thing I read on Power is like "20 year old Byfuglien" and who doesn't take that first OA, amirite?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I won't bore you with the game mechanics, other than to say we pick players on a one year delay, and every year, the player's performance in our league is based on their real life performance last year, plus of course their futures.

So that's maybe a better question: given a one year time lapse in evaluating results, who do you draft first overall from last year's class?

Right now I'm basically 100% sold on Owen Power, to play alongside Nurse, Montour, and Rasmus Andersson, turning my top 3 into a true top 4 (Zadorov and Schmidt for a bottom pair)

I'm solid enough at forward:
Laine - Pettersson - Mangiapane
Jarnkrok - Tavares - Eberle
Nyquist - Zacha - Mantha
Labanc - Sissons - Dvorak

Goalies are Saros - Brossoit

But like every thing I read on Power is like "20 year old Byfuglien" and who doesn't take that first OA, amirite?

What is the scoring system in the draft?

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
What is the scoring system in the draft?

it's not a scoring system, it's an AI-driven replay league. A better example would be if I said I was drafting an NHL 2K23 league, I guess. Basically, it's a board game that uses fancy stats to make each player represent how well they did in the prior year.

So a better question would be: pretend the NHL contracted from 32 to 12 teams, and having said that, I draft 1OA based on last year's players.

If not Power, who then?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
it's not a scoring system, it's an AI-driven replay league. A better example would be if I said I was drafting an NHL 2K23 league, I guess. Basically, it's a board game that uses fancy stats to make each player represent how well they did in the prior year.

So a better question would be: pretend the NHL contracted from 32 to 12 teams, and having said that, I draft 1OA based on last year's players.

If not Power, who then?

Probably Power but Beniers and Luke Hughes are both his piers. I believe Hughes may put up more points and Beniers is the top forward in Seattle talent wise already IMO. Can’t go wrong with Power but if it was a points only league he won’t replace Dahlin on the PP1 in Buffalo which will suppress is raw point totals.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Probably Power but Beniers and Luke Hughes are both his piers. I believe Hughes may put up more points and Beniers is the top forward in Seattle talent wise already IMO. Can’t go wrong with Power but if it was a points only league he won’t replace Dahlin on the PP1 in Buffalo which will suppress is raw point totals.

yeah it's not points only, it involves statistical measures of defence too. Also bear in mind we're a year behind, so Power's rookie year doesn't have Beniers or Hughes; the best forwards available are Kuzmenko and McTavish, for instance. My entire core is 23-26 so it's hard to not trade down for Kuzmenko who will fit right in. But how do you trade away first overall when you have a year's future sight to boot?

Reactions: ps241

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Who did you pick

Draft isn't until September, but based on other league goings-on, my choice of Power is cemented.

Basically, "a little bird" in the league told me that one of the other close contenders is going to use their #5 pick to take Kuzmenko, and if he does that, he's going to flip all his meaningful remaining picks (two firsts, two seconds, two thirds, bearing in mind 12 picks per round) to me for Tavares and Daniel Sprong, so that he can basically summon a second-line full of (prorated, in Sprong's case :)) 40 goal scorers.

You see, for all I do love the stats about leagues like this, I also love the politics. And if the reigning league champ is gonna offer me a last-second round pick and a trash prospect for Sprong, I'd much rather king-make his rival :P Then, next time I got assets to shop, they might take me seriously ;)

Reactions: Play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad