'I will miss it': Bob Cole dismayed over decision to sideline him for playoffs

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
Romanuk better than Hughson? Don’t think many will agree even though it seems Hughson isn’t exactly loved around here from what I’ve seen.

Cuthbert is the best in the biz in my mind.

Ever listen to a game called by Daniels?

And yeah, Hughson is all kinds of "personality" without the voice and without a sense of appropriate emotional tone and timing. Don't get the tolerance for him when they're so many other options available for a national telecast. Romanuk sounds invested in what he calls and he has a quality to his calls I find much more pleasant - comparatively - to Hughson.

I"d place Cuthbert ahead of Romanuk as well.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Ever listen to a game called by Daniels?

And yeah, Hughson is all kinds of "personality" without the voice and without a sense of appropriate emotional tone and timing. Don't get the tolerance for him when they're so many other options available for a national telecast. Romanuk sounds invested in what he calls and he has a quality to his calls I find much more pleasant - comparatively - to Hughson.

I"d place Cuthbert ahead of Romanuk as well.

I don’t really understand the hate for Hughson to tell you the truth, same with the hate for Joe Buck. I don’t mind either guy, but I think people just like to complain.

Not to mention there are a number of people who think the announcer hates their team, when he probably doesn’t. He’s just calling a game between two teams and likely doesn’t care who wins. Not saying that’s true of every guy, but a lot of them likely don’t care.

Daniels seems good, although Redmond is the biggest homer alive. Good god, the guy thinks the Wings never deserve a penalty.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I always liked Bob Cole.
One of the best.
I miss him calling games.
Age should not be a factor.

Rogers, **** off.

It's not age, it's ability. It's gotten to the point where when an exciting chance happens off a quick turnover, there's only about a 50% chance Cole notices.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
It's hard getting into games with Jim Hughson calling them. What does the CBC/Sportsnet find in Hughson?

" He scores" or ( Inseert player name) scores" is literally his only two calls. Like, can he come up with anything else? There has to be something....

I find Hughson tries to do too much analyzing. Let Simpson do that.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Bob Cole should have retired about 5 years ago. One of the best of all time, but can't keep up now.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
glad he's gone. annoying voice, not to mention biggest leafs homer ever.

suppose to retire 20 seasons ago, surprised he's still around.

Reactions: ChuckW

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
Because the brain loses a step the older you get. Its pretty obvious most 85 year olds arent as sharp as say a 40 or 50 year old. The last few games I heard him call, yea he has an iconic sounding voice but was mixing up names, kind of bumbled a bit,lost for a words a couple times.

How does this compare to Paul Romanuk?

ChuckW

Keep the Hurricanes great!
May 15, 2009
Parts unknown
If you don’t like Bob Cole, fine, but are you going to tell me Paul Romanuk is better?

I sure am.

I listened to Cole since I was a kid back in the early 80s. Didn't even like him then. Don't like his fake folksy expressions and his breathless, sort of slurred delivery (which has only gotten much, much worse over the years). He was decent in the 80s and early 90s, but to me he never made a game better just by his call, the way true geniuses like Pat Summerall in the NFL did.

Overrated for decades. Glad he's gone, not sorry one bit, and certainly don't care what anyone thinks of my opinion. I'm really just posting it so Cole-worshippers can get clued in that even back in the day some people couldn't stand him.

I prefer Paul Romanuk anyday. I actually like Paul's calls, he really sounds excited when something exciting happens, he doesn't make up stupid "catch phrases" and phony mannerisms, and he can actually enunciate words and talk without sounding like his mouth is full of molasses. Also, he tends to remember players' names, which is a good thing. So BYE Cole. Not hearing you has made my 2018 playoff watching much better.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I sure am.

I listened to Cole since I was a kid back in the early 80s. Didn't even like him then. Don't like his fake folksy expressions and his breathless, sort of slurred delivery (which has only gotten much, much worse over the years). He was decent in the 80s and early 90s, but to me he never made a game better just by his call, the way true geniuses like Pat Summerall in the NFL did.

Overrated for decades. Glad he's gone, not sorry one bit, and certainly don't care what anyone thinks of my opinion. I'm really just posting it so Cole-worshippers can get clued in that even back in the day some people couldn't stand him.

I prefer Paul Romanuk anyday. I actually like Paul's calls, he really sounds excited when something exciting happens, he doesn't make up stupid "catch phrases" and phony mannerisms, and he can actually enunciate words and talk without sounding like his mouth is full of molasses. Also, he tends to remember players' names, which is a good thing. So BYE Cole. Not hearing you has made my 2018 playoff watching much better.
This may be the worst post I've yet seen in 4+ years on here.

Hats off, sir... hats off.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I sure am.

Yeah, Romanuk never makes up dumb catch phrases.

“serpentining his way up”
“Snowshoes his way into the zone”

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't mind romanuk, to be honest. I just wonder if he tries too hard to be Danny gallivan sometimes.

That's a tough task.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad