'I will miss it': Bob Cole dismayed over decision to sideline him for playoffs

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
Love Bob Cole, mistakes and all. When I think back as a child growing up watching hockey nights in Canada, it's his iconic voice that I remember.

I've never understood the mistakes thing. Are Cole critics not listening to Paul Romanuk, Rick Ball, or any other commentator? And I don't think Romy's excuse can be put down to senility considering he's in his fifties lol. I've never heard a commentator make so many epic mistakes before as Romanuk, and yet here he is calling a second-round series.

Reactions: Oddbob

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Meanwhile, hughson still has a job. I especially enjoy his unique brand of monotonely diminishing what's happening on the ice

And he scores

Its like he doesn't even enjoy hockey, he's just in it to hear his own voice

ChuckW

Keep the Hurricanes great!
May 15, 2009
Parts unknown
This disappoints me. I have found Bob Cole's voice to be annoying, but he's a legend to broadcasting. He should be given games until he says he's had enough. If Sportsnet runs with Bartlett or Romanuk over Cole, I will be furious.

Romanuk is 10 times better than the overrated, annoying Cole. Good riddance.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016

If you go to the 3:40 mark, you'll see how boring Cole is now (and this was five years ago). Completely monotone after a home OT goal by a team against a big rival.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Bob Cole is my Generations Foster Hewitt but the man is 84..call it ageism all you want he just doesn’t have it anymore..he needs to just fade off into the sunset...

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I wish he was calling the Jets games now. His voice is a voice of not one, but two generations... maybe he can catch on elsewhere if he isn't wanted by Sportsnet.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Paul Romanuk is calling games over Chris Cuthbert and Bob Cole. Just stunning.

How many more years of Rogers do we have again?

To be fair I think it was CBC that ditched Cuthbert a few years before Roger's took over. But my goodness they let the top announcer in hockey, maybe too five in all of sports go to save money lol

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Meanwhile, hughson still has a job. I especially enjoy his unique brand of monotonely diminishing what's happening on the ice

And he scores

Its like he doesn't even enjoy hockey, he's just in it to hear his own voice

Yeah I can't stand Hughson either. He sounds like a constipated asexual android.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
When you’re noticeably the worst sports caller in on a network that employs Paul Romanuk and Jim Hughson maybe that should tell you something about the future of your employment. Bob Cole was iconic. He’s an atrocious sportscaster at age 85 and he has been for sometime

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
I don't see why this matters. In fact, it's ageist.

The playoffs have not been quite the same without Mr. Cole.
Because the brain loses a step the older you get. Its pretty obvious most 85 year olds arent as sharp as say a 40 or 50 year old. The last few games I heard him call, yea he has an iconic sounding voice but was mixing up names, kind of bumbled a bit,lost for a words a couple times.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Bob Cole - the voice of my favourite hockey. Big business, this is not how you treat human beings. He's more of a legend and more loved than any of you big-wig decision makers ever will be.
What did they do to him that was so bad? Was he promised the playoffs last year and they lied to him?

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
Hughson is mediocre. Romanuk is better than Hughson. Cole is legendary.

Unintentionally missed names by Cole is infinitely preferable to intentionally mispronounced names (with flourish, mind you) by Hughson: "Valteri Feeeel-pew-lah"

Best in the business now is the Red Wings' Ken Daniels.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Bob is better than both Romanuk and Hughson. Romanuk makes so many mistakes but at least he shows enthusiasm.

Hughson legitimately sounds like he'd rather be anywhere else, and has for the last 5+ years.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Hughson is mediocre. Romanuk is better than Hughson. Cole is legendary.

Unintentionally missed names by Cole is infinitely preferable to intentionally mispronounced names (with flourish, mind you) by Hughson: "Valteri Feeeel-pew-lah"

Best in the business now is the Red Wings' Ken Daniels.

Romanuk better than Hughson? Don’t think many will agree even though it seems Hughson isn’t exactly loved around here from what I’ve seen.

Cuthbert is the best in the biz in my mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->