'I will miss it': Bob Cole dismayed over decision to sideline him for playoffs

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Is this a money thing? I mean, would it have cost the broadcaster anything/a lot to have Cole involved? Just wondering.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Remember that ~8 straight OT minutes of feverish play between the Kings and Hawks a few years back? He was on his ****ing game that night.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I'd rather listen to Cole's voice than anyone else they have, errors and all, but I guess one can't expect anything different from Rogers. I was following along with the explanation, as much as I disagree with it, up to this point:

“It’s time for a new generation of play-by-play voice,” Moore said at the time.

Sorry Scott, but once again you're showing you are completely delusional. There is no "new generation". All the people doing the games have been around years and are in their 50s and 60s (I don't know how old Rick Ball is, but assume he is close to that range).

Similarly, I can't think of a single up-and-coming talent in the broadcast booth for either Sportsnet or TSN, which is pretty sad.

Reactions: Darth Bangkok

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Rogers is a mess. Hey, there's plenty of other phone companies out there.

Unfortunately not, though. Something like 90% of Canada's wireless contracts are with the 3 main companies and their subsidiaries.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
It's a business and he didn't cut it. Find another job and stop whining.

Romanuk doesn't cut it and they keep giving him more airtime. If Rogers bothered to check in with their viewers about how they felt about their commenters they'd end up cleaning house.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Oh Baby he had some good moments that's for sure. Paired with Harry Neale was just too much when they were doing Leaf games

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Can't stand Bob Cole. All he says is "there is 15 min remaining in the period"

He also constantly gets the players wrong.

Its a dog eat dog world, the time has come

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
If he's back for the regular season next year, then fine. If he's done, then they should have made something of it to commemorate his last game.

I know one thing: I'd rather listen to Bob Cole mumble blindfolded than some of the ear grating "talent" that Rogers currently has doing the WPG/MIN series.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
This guy could be 109 years old on life support commentating from his death bed watching through a shitty illegal chinese stream that lags 5 seconds behind and I'd still rather listen to him than that dunce Romanuk.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
Should have let him have one last horrah and a proper send away, even if it was last year. This was a crappy way to go about it.

he's been given a last hurrah for the last 5 years. he was given plenty of chance to bow out gracefully on his own terms and refused to do it despite going senile, what were they supposed to do?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Don Cherry is also 84. Can we get rid of him too, because they stomped using the wrong 84 year old.

member 147413

Brutal decision, I’d rather have Bob Cole for the Leafs vs Bruins , with Hughson and Simpson fired into the sun.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Bob Cole is awful. Any time he does a Sens game, I quickly find another feed. The guy is so boring now and doesn't know anything that's going on.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
The man is the voice of my childhood, even now that hes 85 and has a hard time calling games, he is missed more than ever.

Sportsnet s hot garbage
This right here. I miss the old CBC HNIC setup so much. I think the actual hockey is better than ever, but Sportsnet's style and delivery is so cringey/corny. They have trivialized the broadcast part of it, which is a real shame. Now I just focus on the hockey, and ignore their lineup of schmucks and buffoons. TSN was way better than sportsnet too - they were actually respectable, but they lost the bidding war to rogers, so were stuck with Sucknet.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
They aren't even having him do radio for Toronto? That's f***ing stupid

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Should have let him have one last horrah and a proper send away, even if it was last year. This was a crappy way to go about it.

he's been given a last hurrah for the last 5 years. he was given plenty of chance to bow out gracefully on his own terms and refused to do it despite going senile, what were they supposed to do?

What were they supposed to do?

Tell the man straight out, this is your last season, 1/2 season whatever and make the fanfare public so that Mr. Cole cannot bitch about it later without looking like a petty ungrateful person.

The guy goes out proudly, Rogers looks like a winner...not really that tough to do.

A phone call to Newf? Just evidence of poor planning and understanding.

Reactions: Darth Bangkok

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
I have to wonder why Rick Ball is calling the Capitals-Penguins series over Bob Cole. In all seriousness, why? Is Rogers cheap or something? Ball is just so average and keeps misidentifying players. Why would you prefer some random run-of-the-mill commentator over a legend? Classless!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->