'I will miss it': Bob Cole dismayed over decision to sideline him for playoffs

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I have always been of the opinion that I can handle mistakes from the pbp guy if he can bring the emotion and sense of the moment to the game that is being called. I have eyes, I am able to see who is on the ice. What Cole brought to the table mistakes and all is the emotion and sense of moment that not one announcer that Rogers has now can bring to a game.
Yep. Radio is a different story. But on teevee it’s a whole different dynamic and, frankly, job description. A radio call has to be accurate but on teevee the announcers are more like mates with whom you’re watching the game.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I never got the Bob Cole hate, I associate his voice with so many great and horrid moments.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
fault on both sides, here. Cole needs to understand when to bow out gracefully. His work has been subpar for years, compared to his younger self.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
For those thinking Cole deserved more than a phone call, can you suggest what would have been a better mode of communication to let him know?

Should they have done a singing telegram or something?

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm fine with a phone call to Bob. Rogers doesn't owe him anything. He was an announcer for CBC when he was good. He should have retired 10 years ago as he's just terrible now and I hate listening to him call any game. I think Rogers has already gone above and beyond by simply giving him a job. I honestly hope it's his last year calling games.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
His voice is magic at this time of year and will be sorely missed. I like Hughson and Romanuk but Cole is king at this time of yr. and as long as he wishes he should be calling the games.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Rogers are f***ing disgusting. They are ruining everything. They don't care what the fans wants. It took a national outcry for them to make changes early on.

Hell most Canadian fans would prefer Bob Cole calling the Bruins-Leafs series than boring freakin Jim Hughson and Simpson. We don't want Jim Hughson goddamit!

Last edited:

Saitama

Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
They did it by phone because everyone is used to hearing his voice without seeing his face, so it felt more natural!

I will miss him, I don't care about the mistakes. We had an announcer for the Jets game start one by saying that Dumba had made his first save. Everyone makes mistakes. Bob makes a few more than some, but he makes up for it by being fantastic to listen to.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I don't care about the mistakes that now come with such an advanced age, his pace and voice alone make him better then any other play by play guy rogers has out there.

Wish he could do ever single f***ing game, 85 or not.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Rogers are ****ing disgusting. They are ruining everything. They don't care what the fans wants. It took a national outcry for them to make changes early on.

Hell most Canadian fans would prefer Bob Cole calling the Bruins-Leafs series than boring freakin Jim Hughson and Simpson. We don't want Jim Hughson goddamit!

Seasons of Romanuk have opened me up gracefully to Hughson/Simpson

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Some people don't like to listen to Bob Cole, to each his own. And yes, he does mix up player's names from time to time (not the end of the world, it's not radio).

But more people like listening to Cole call games than those who dislike him, even if that reason is based largely on nostalgia. And he still has a bigger fanbase than most of the current play-by-play guys, if not all of them.

Fact is, Rogers has slowly been trying to make HNIC their own. The Strombo experiment, firing Tim Thompson (the guy who did all those great opening montages), and now their slow phase-out of Bob Cole.

In a world where Nostalgia sells, I don't get it. But that's been their MO since the day they acquired NHL broadcast rights.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I liked him a lot. But like a player you have to know when it's time to hang em up. He stuck around too long IMO. Should have retired a couple of years ago. It's a shame imo.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
For those thinking Cole deserved more than a phone call, can you suggest what would have been a better mode of communication to let him know?

Should they have done a singing telegram or something?

Cole was in Newfoundland. I'm not sure what people think should have been done here.

The reality is, it's a job, a job that he hasn't been particularly good at for a very long time. People need to let go of the past. Bob Cole has been a subpar play by play announcer for at least ten years now.

People can get nostalgic all they want for the timber of his voice, but the reality is, listening to him call games is very much like watching the game with a senile uncle who's had too much to drink. He doesn't know who has the puck, he's unsure of whats happening and none of that stops him from blathering on.

It's amazing how often Bob Cole says "and they play has stopped." Thanks Bob, we can see that, any clue why? Is there a penalty? Is there an injury? You're in the building Bob, how about paying attention to the game?

Here's another fun idea: Maybe look at the rosters and learn the names and numbers of the players. Telling us "Chicago has the puck" isn't helpful at all.

The next phone call should be telling him he's not coming back next season. Enough is enough.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
It sure as hell wasn't mutual. It's just not the same not being in the booth for the playoffs and instead confined to a chair and computer to announce games via posting on hfboards.
I have the feeling that this is actually Bob Cole's nasal cavity posting.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Cole was in Newfoundland. I'm not sure what people think should have been done here.

The reality is, it's a job, a job that he hasn't been particularly good at for a very long time. People need to let go of the past. Bob Cole has been a subpar play by play announcer for at least ten years now.

People can get nostalgic all they want for the timber of his voice, but the reality is, listening to him call games is very much like watching the game with a senile uncle who's had too much to drink. He doesn't know who has the puck, he's unsure of whats happening and none of that stops him from blathering on.

It's amazing how often Bob Cole says "and they play has stopped." Thanks Bob, we can see that, any clue why? Is there a penalty? Is there an injury? You're in the building Bob, how about paying attention to the game?

Here's another fun idea: Maybe look at the rosters and learn the names and numbers of the players. Telling us "Chicago has the puck" isn't helpful at all.

The next phone call should be telling him he's not coming back next season. Enough is enough.
I don't mind him not remembering names or generalizing a play by using the team name since I can see for myself while watching on tv. If he was doing this on the radio it's a different story.

In Ottawa we have our own play by play guy that remembers everyone's name but loves telling stories during game play. It's infuriating.

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
Hockey legend but it’s time to let go.

Hopefully he enjoys his retirement (if that’s his choice).

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Wish they treated him better in this situation. However this guy constantly has no idea what is going on during the play. He is constantly getting names wrong and is behind the play. Try listening to him while not looking at the TV screen and you will have 0 idea what is going on in the game

But, so what? I can see what's going on because I'm watching him on TV, he's not a radio announcer. He mixes up names and misses calls, but for the people complaining, if you notice then you saw what happened anyways, so what difference does it make. Playoff hockey is all about the noise, emotion, and atmosphere. And nobody else on SN can convey that in big moments like Cole can.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
It's a business and he didn't cut it. Find another job and stop whining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->