TBN: I was surrounded by “cloud and atmosphere of negativity” during time with Sabres

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Its so funny how people give him a free pass just because of his "addiction?" Can you honestly imagine robin coming into the locker room drunk as shit while having a mental episode and Casey shows up for his first game? seeing this guy with resting murder face a fresh 40oz on his breath and that environment being good for the team? Thanks for all the positivity Robin. Even after Head babied you while leaving, you take any chance you can for parting shots lol. At least he didnt kill anybody while drunk driving wonder how many would view him as a hero hero then?

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
It comes with being bad for so long.
Not to mention the city constantly getting ragged on for being small, unimpressive and undesirable (despite the downtown growing and the surrounding neighborhoods being some of the best and most affordable places to live)... sandwiched between the biggest, flashiest city in the US (NYC) and "hockey mecca" (Toronto). Add that to the decades and decades of sports curses and being terrible.

Yeah... WNY sports fans don't really take it on the chin like they might've used to. And the inferiority complex.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Lehner won 42 games in 3 seasons here. Anderson and Jones nearly won that many games in their first season from being acquired. And both were more established and better when acquired. Lehner was and is trash.

Lehner couldn't even make a single save in the shootout and now we are going to reminisce over him? :laugh:

Greiss is doing the same exact numbers as Lehner. It js the system and team why he is doing as good as he is.

The quality of the team in front of a goaltender never had an impact on their ability to win games. Plug either Andersen or Jones into the Sabres in that span and it's likely they get lit up. Nuance... there is none.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Its so funny how people give him a free pass just because of his "addiction?" Can you honestly imagine robin coming into the locker room drunk as **** while having a mental episode and Casey shows up for his first game? seeing this guy with resting murder face a fresh 40oz on his breath and that environment being good for the team? Thanks for all the positivity Robin. Even after Head babied you while leaving, you take any chance you can for parting shots lol. At least he didnt kill anybody while drunk driving wonder how many would view him as a hero hero then?
It's highly unlikely any of his teammates would even notice.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Respect him for coming out with mental illness which is horrendous, genetic, biochemically-based, beyond one's control, but he's just got to move on from talking about Buffalo, especially its fans.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
So, he develops an addiction, through his own life choices, and then points the finger at WNY and Sabres fans as a catalyst as to why his lot in life sucked, all while collecting a lucrative paycheck from those very fans?

Get the fook outta here Robyn.

You and you alone are responsible and accountable for YOUR choices in life. Hockey fans in Buffalo have been paying to see a subpar product for near a decade now, YOU were a member of that subpar product. They PAID, you GOT PAID, big difference here, fans in Buffalo have every right to boo you, they spend money to see you and your team mates perform, you didn't show up, don't use an addiction as an excuse for letting them down. It's pathetic you'd attempt to put that crutch under your arm and act as though the fan base wounded you, worthless POS.
You just don't develop an addiction out of nowhere.
It's a combination of genetics, childhood and social surroundings.
Some just can't get out of it no matter how hard they try, some can...

I know its kinda boiling frustration somebody saying something bad about the place and the season we re having but please try to filter a bit.
Actually when posting like that you re proofing Lehners point.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
You just don't develop an addiction out of nowhere.
It's a combination of genetics, childhood and social surroundings.
Some just can't get out of it no matter how hard they try, some can...

I know its kinda boiling frustration somebody saying something bad about the place and the season we re having but please try to filter a bit.
Actually when posting like that you re proofing Lehners point.

It’s a choice.

I was addicted to snuff. I had nobody to thank for that but myself. My choice. Nobody elses.

After many years I was able to quit. Why? Because I finally had the will power to do it.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
It’s a choice.

I was addicted to snuff. I had nobody to thank for that but myself. My choice. Nobody elses.

After many years I was able to quit. Why? Because I finally had the will power to do it.
It was like that for you and I am glad you made it but it's not like that for everyone.
You always need some sort of basis inside or outside yourself to be able to make a choice.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I guess I didn't really take much insult from his quote. To say that it was tough from media and fans is just like saying it's dark at night. To say he doesn't care what anyone from Buffalo has to say anymore, is...well I don't expect him to anyway. Just like I don't really care what he has to say, and I don't expect him to care about that either.

Buffalo sports is seeped in negativity. It just is, and saying so doesn't mean you're blaming anyone specific for it. It's just the way it is.

Reactions: Baccus

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
To say that it was tough from media and fans is just like saying it's dark at night.
It wasn't when the team was winning back in the playoff days. I remember people cheering in the streets, that Drury goal, their playoff run..
That's what's happening when you're losing, everything becomes darker. Things will get better eventually.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I am sure he isn’t wrong but he also wasn’t part of the solution. Players who say things like this should end the quote with “and I am a follower and couldn’t help the situation at all due to a lack of any leadership abilities. I need to be placed in a good situation to succeed, I can’t help make a bad situation good.”

Shame he has to open his mouth now after all the support the buffalo fans gave him.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
It’s a choice.

I agree with you, have seen it all to often.
Lost a child hood mentor, my fathers very good friend, to Alcohol. Lost multiple peers and friends in the heavy industrial construction industry to overdoses of pills, heroin, cocaine and alcohol.
I was close with some of them for a time in my life, they would say exactly what you say here. Indeed, many of their loved ones do say this.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I am sure he isn’t wrong but he also wasn’t part of the solution. Players who say things like this should end the quote with “and I am a follower and couldn’t help the situation at all due to a lack of any leadership abilities. I need to be placed in a good situation to succeed, I can’t help make a bad situation good.”

Shame he has to open his mouth now after all the support the buffalo fans gave him.
Self-destructive behavior is a hallmark of his disease.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
The team is not that skilled...they lose a lot of games...players get frustrated and it no longer becomes fun to play the game....they get lit up by the fans and the press...

All this stops if the first part of that equation gets fixed. Lehner isn't wrong but he is pointing out a symptom rather than the actual cause of negativity. Same thing here in Vancouver when the team goes on extended losing streaks over the years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad