TBN: I was surrounded by “cloud and atmosphere of negativity” during time with Sabres

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

He told Newsday that he was ready for the challenge of what playing in New York might bring because of his time in Buffalo.

"Buffalo prepared me,” Lehner told Newsday. “It couldn’t be any worse. Buffalo would prepare me to go to Toronto. It was so bad there sometimes. You would walk out to games and the game hadn’t started and people are already booing. It’s an incredibly passionate fan base and they’re filling that building, but it can be miserable in that rink.

“Everyone talks the Toronto media and Toronto is the toughest city in the league to play in, don’t get me wrong,” added Lehner, clarifying he wants to see his former teammates do well. “But Buffalo is not easy to play in. The media is incredibly hard. I’ve been in that negative spiral. I’ve been caught in it for a couple of years. It’s really tough and you start to lose perspective. I’ve moved on. I don’t care what anyone in Buffalo says anymore.”

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
I don't think it's hard to see why he feels the way he does, especially when keeping his substance abuse struggles in mind. The media here is mostly garbage, and the fan base is in a bad place considering how bad the team has been the last several years. It would be a tough environment for anyone, let alone someone fighting the various battles he was.

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
We're putting together quite a legacy

Believe me, those same guys wouldn't shit on a reknown/famous/big city, whatever you wanna call it. It's all about reputation, and once you have that, it's tough to scratch that away.
I'm talking about Buffalo btw.

Edit: I don't see it that way, never have been there. I'm just saying it's a scarce opinion expressed by a couple individuals, which have a fanbase and therefore it seems a bigger thing than it actually is. Lots of cities get dumped on by lots of athletes.

Last edited:

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Yes, it’s our fault the Sabres suck. It is our fault my 98 year old grandpa could have scored on Lehner in a shootout.

We need to be more positive after 8 years of having shit shoveled down our throats!

Poor Robin and poor these players having to play in Buffalo.

Get the f*** outta here with that shit.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Winning vs losing. I will admit though, Buffalo fans don't need a lot to turn nasty.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Lehner is basically a troll who provokes people and then is offended when they respond. The things he said to the media are responsible for the way he was treated here. Some of his interviews were so over the top he should have been institutionalized right then and there. :laugh: Chad Johnson had a worse year. He didn't go running off at the mouth and wasn't treated like a clown. Lehner needs to quit giving these lengthy interviews after he tells us what he thinks about Andrew Allen.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
He already cost my team a 1st in a loaded 2015 draft. He's not going to cost me the minutes to read anything he says.

Reactions: Yatzhee

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Interesting how TBN didn’t really delve into how he stated the media here was worse than Toronto.

Unrelated: Hi Mike.

Reactions: sabremike

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Abused pills and alcohol becuase of bipolar and PTSD while struggling to hold down a starting goal tending job for a struggling team... but yeah, it was the fans. The way the franchise treated him and handled his illness, this is a pretty big slap in the face to the Pegulas and Botterill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad