I was on tv playing hockey. No big deal.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Assign a buddy to help you get dressed :naughty:

JK congrats, I was surprised that lady told her age when she started playing

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA

OMG it didn't even occur to me that it could be taken that way! :laugh:

Our Give Hockey a Try event is going to be happening in a few hours, and it'll be interesting to see how many more come because of the newscast. Last I heard there was 18 women signed up to try hockey. This event last year is the reason I started playing. :nod: I encourage everyone to try it once (no matter how old) - it just may change your life!

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
You say, "Our club members will be lending their equipment". I hear, "Our club members are bringing the shiat they retired because it smelled like a dead rodent and they couldn't manage to wash it."

But good luck with the event!

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
You say, "Our club members will be lending their equipment". I hear, "Our club members are bringing the shiat they retired because it smelled like a dead rodent and they couldn't manage to wash it."

But good luck with the event!

:laugh: I was debating whether to wash my stuff before today's event or wait until after my last game next tuesday. But since someone was kind enough to lend me their non-smelly equipment last year and I proceeded to drench it with my sweat, I figured I should pay-it-forward and clean my gear.

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006

Why would that surprise you? It's not like you have to curl up and start dying once you have kids, that you're too old to enjoy life. The fastest growing segment in USA Hockey is women's hockey.

It's nice to see them getting that much support from the local news.

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
Nice, cool to see the news in the states giving support for something like this.

Also the tools in this thread gave me a laugh, find a hobby.

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Just an update on our Give Hockey a Try event. We ended up with 27(!) women who came out to try hockey. Last year I think we had 18? It was a great turnout. Just enough gear for everyone. I think we had about 10 additional signups after the news broadcast.

It's a great promo for our league, since we can post the video on our website and people can get a glimpse into what it's like and how supportive it is. A bunch of people said that they had no idea that women's hockey was even happening around here. So thankful that King5 could do this for us. :nod:

Maccas

Aug 26, 2010
England
Thats brilliant Beth!
Its great to see things like this working as more people playing the sport can only ever be a good thing (Unless you want to get into the NHL, More competition!)
It would be great to see something like this implemented in the UK for Men as well as Women tbh. I was very lucky in that I was able to borrow a lot of kit for a few sessions when I started but for most people in the UK it is that side of it which is stopping a lot of them from picking up Hockey.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Why would that surprise you? It's not like you have to curl up and start dying once you have kids, that you're too old to enjoy life. The fastest growing segment in USA Hockey is women's hockey.

It's nice to see them getting that much support from the local news.

You think all older women like to tell their age? On tv? :huh:

RedLight40

May 9, 2011
Thats great! I'm glad you'll had a good turnout.

I just started in April, and have been trying to get my wife to give it a try. She has resisted even though my learn to play league was at least 1/3 women. I'll keep on her though, and show her this video.

Thanks for sharing.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
that is awesome! my women's team (yes, I'm female despite my user name) does something similar in allowing "noobs" to come try it for free with borrowed gear. some people stick, some people don't but everybody has a good time. :)

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
"You can be a total n00b and..."

Clearly someone that spends time on the Internet!! Solid interview...

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Nice! And, that was live, too? That's pressure!

I wasn't even expecting to be talking, thought I'd just be part of the backdrop. 5 minutes before that interview, the reporter was saying we should do a little lesson on the air and people are all, "Beth has coached! She should do it!" and I'm like wtf?? I'm like the quietest, most introverted person on the team. lol! I was so nervous! I'm amazed I pulled it off. They made me do a second interview too, that showed on the noon news, but the video I have of it is pretty crappy:

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
I posted that on the FB wall of a former teammate who moved to Seattle a few years ago and it turns out she plays with you guys!

santiclaws

May 19, 2005
Tip for next time: if you have a full cage, take off your helmet when being interviewed onTV. :D

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
Hah! Cool! I wonder if I know her?

you might. her first name is Sue (I won't post her last name) and she moved back to Seattle from Atlanta a few years ago. I think she had her second kid not too long ago so I'm not sure if she's back skating yet. her husband Gabe plays as well. truly 2 of the nicest people I've ever known.

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I think I might have met a Sue at one point, but not sure if she would be your Sue. There's a lot of women I still need to get to know in this league! :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->