The Players' Tribune: I Was Meant To Be a Hab

shello

Mar 5, 2011
Dana Point, CA
For what it's worth, a lot of what you read is a good reflection of the personality and what was said, even if the player didn't type the words himself. I do this stuff professionally; you don't rewrite the person, you just clean them up and spotlight their most genuine nuggets.

Yup.

Fair enough! They're enjoyable regardless and I can understand a professional writer is able to capture players words a little nicer than athletes. With that said, Id love to hear an unfiltered version without a ghost writer as well.

Reactions: Lshap

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
No Scarborough born kid is meant to be a Hab. Thats like saying a Laval kid was meant to be a Leaf.
stop whining. You guys can't stop crying about some habs fans wanting local boys and your suzuki leaf tweet jokes are long past funny

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Canucks board is imploding to another degree with more Benning disasters revealed today, this shit needs to be widely seen

Keep in mind, Benning says he ran out of time to offer a deal to Toffoli. This came as he was trying with all his energy to trade our few future prospects and assets for OEL lol

His failure to sign Toffoli was due to him failing to try something even dumber. Cant make this shit up, how is Benning employed still??
you want to get even angrier? watch Tony Marinaro's sick podcast. He has pat brisson on who takes the listener through the process. The nucks were never in it...it was all about finding a number with the habs:
‎The Sick Podcast with Tony Marinaro: Habs Talk #29 - The #1 Hockey Agent In The World Joins Us! on Apple Podcasts

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
These player tribune's lost a lot of value to me once I learned the players don't actually write them. But hey I've been enjoying Toffoli a lot with Montreal and I hope he continues his play well into the future

Unless they are some NCAA guy that went in journalism or something, these tribunes would be god awful if written by players.

Reactions: shello

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
A bit ridiculous that they don't give credit to the person who actually wrote the article. Something like 'as told to' or just include the writer's name alongside the player's.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
Dana Point, CA

Yeah she's from LA my dude. Just some schmuck like you or I wrote that. If her name wasn't Belanger this wouldn't be a talking point.

It's kinda funny that people thought that there were bunches of pro athletes who would just put out these professionally written articles in their spare time. Guess that's how easy some people think it is to be a writer :help:

I write for a living and in college I definitely thought these Player Tribunes were player written. A lot of them come across like a blog post, or journal entry. I bet you most people out there assume players write these themselves.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Benning must be one of the worst GMs currently employed in the NHL, no questions asked. He's incompetent. He has dug Vancouver a deep hole and he just keeps digging every year. Not even their fantastic outcome from drafting can help that team. Any player performing like absolute manure for years would be questioned if they belong in the league. That's not the case with GMs, they're paid for responsibility but it's all up to the sometimes equally incompetent owner in many cases if accountability matters. Perhaps golf stories and the friendly evenings together matter more than the adventures of expensive leisure.

The problem always starts with the owner. Most of them seem have no clue what they're doing
with an entertainment franchise, some think of it as a lottery business, some are just lucky and some actually know what they're doing. Some don't know what to do with all their money. Some who shouldn't are strongly invested in it where their ability to lead isn't enough.

That Benning lost Toffoli for nothing really stung hard in the Vancouver group, especially since his price was very modest. It seems the Vancouver method of overpaying every single, below mediocre bottom 6 player - and then some - is the melody.

Hey bro, I understand what you feel

Bergevin f***ed up with Radulov

Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Refreshing.

Habs fans love to repeat the idea that nobody wants to play in Montreal, because of the pressure, because of the medias, because of the language, because of the winter, because of taxes, etc.

True that it's not a market made for every player, but some truly embrace it, the pressure, the history, the culture, etc. Kovalev thrived here. Gallagher loves it. And having a few promising young players probably help too.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Hey bro, I understand what you feel

Bergevin f***ed up with Radulov

Yeah, this is basically Bargain Bin trying to make up for screwing up with Radulov (and Markov)...and the hilarious thing is that Bargain Bin's priority offseason signings were Edmundson & Allen; he didn't think he'd have enough Cap Room left after that to make a high profile signing but got lucky that Toffoli's price wasn't out of his reach...

...Benning really screwed the proverbial pooch on this one...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->