I was going to post a similar sentiment as Sparks expressed, "are Leafs lacking that rah rah guy?"

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
good for sparks.

he's won a recent championship, and was arguably the key player to that championship. he had every reason to speak out. he saw something wrong.

I see something wrong every time hes in net. He had no right calling anyone out. The teams been bad lately but they flat out have 0 confidence in him and I don't blame them.

Reactions: diceman934

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Big difference on having an opinion and stating hyperbole as facts.

Opinions can be reasonable.

Pretending to know what goes on and what he's like behind closed doors (like that poster seems to think) isn't.

well lets see what he said:

You know what else gets old fast?

A hardass coach that is constently nagging on his team or certain players and routinely throws players in the doghouse.
It usually works at first because they get guys to buy in fast but its not long before many of their players start tuning him out.
A coach that talks about "earning" and there being accountability but then only applying it to certain ones and others avoid criticism or demotion.

Can we agree he's a hardass?
Routine doghouse throws seems debatable but not a huge stretch
Tuning him out is an assumption for sure but pretty reasonable and many people have jumped to that same conclusion.
Preaching accountability but not applying it to certain players seems bang on in my opinion.

Meh, we'll never know IMO until Babs moves on and players start to speak out but something seems off

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
The perception that Babs preaches accountability and does not apply it to everyone is simply wrong. He wants his players to engage in puck battles and compete hard for pucks. Is this him asking for to much? I do not think so.

He demoted Marner and played him on the 4th line longer then any of our top players. Marner responded by competing hard all the time.

Nylander has been his second most in the dog house player and as of yet he has not seemly got the message as he is still not consistent with his compete level.

Mathews has seen his ice time lowered when he fails to compete hard. Hell he even was sent to the box to serve a bench minor penalty.

Johnsson and Kappy have both experienced the same treatment and both have responded.

Carrick was another and his play was very inconsistent and he struggled to stay in the line up. Where Polak always played hard. Same when Hunwick was here.

Hyman, Brown and Marleau and Zaitsev. These seem to be the players who people think get away with not being held accountable. Well sorry to break it to use they are all competing hard and engaging in puck battles take checks to make plays and generally give 100% effort. They all do so to the best of their capabilities, which is the point.

People miss the point. You need all of your players playing as hard as they can to be the best team that you can be and holding players accountable for lack of skill is silly. Holding accountable for lack of effort is not.

Make no mistake there will be players that hate him. It happens all the time when coaches hold you accountable for your effort and for not following instructions. Many players hate successful coaches.

Reactions: Flipwon and Rogie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad