I was going to post a similar sentiment as Sparks expressed, "are Leafs lacking that rah rah guy?"

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I look at the team, talented, young, confident, a belief in one another. But, is it a case where they are all quiet leaders in their own way and thus, nobody speaks out? They don't have that emotional spark plug guy, which I think is good to have in measured doses. It's neither good or bad, it's just lacking.

I was happy when Matthews spoke out a bit, and I know Sparks is backup, but I don't mind him shaking things up a bit even if it might not be his place. Most teams have that clear cut leader, Leafs don't, they are a collective group.

A little energy and passion shown once in awhile is a good thing. The type of defiant, loud energy we saw when they came back against the Habs. It really can rally a team to lift one another and fight for a common goal.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
That type of player with his rah rah schtick, can get old real fast. Rah rah, that isn't followed up with strong play on the ice, is nothing but useless noise.

Motivational speeches given by team leaders, followed up with a strong work ethic from them on the ice, sets the tone for the rest of the team to follow.

Having an emotional outburst from Sparks, then, having him let in a stinker of a goal, has a negative effect.

JMHO as a retired hockey coach.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
That type of player with his rah rah schtick, can get old real fast. Rah rah, that isn't followed up with strong play on the ice, is nothing but useless noise.

Motivational speeches given by team leaders, followed up with a strong work ethic from them on the ice, sets the tone for the rest of the team to follow.

Having an emotional outburst from Sparks, then, having him let in a stinker of a goal, has a negative effect.

Yes, it doesn't need to be a water bottle throwing daily outrage. Just a guy before the game speaking a few short words before heading off and backing it up with his play. The same guy on the ice confronting the other teams toughest players, throwing a check now and again, getting under the other teams skin.

This is where a playoff series can change a teams personality. You start to dislike the opposition and you raise your game to another level. Some animosity can really drive a team to win. This team is full of quiet, young, professions; talented yuppies if you will.

I really thought they could lift their game when it mattered, but they really look like a different team of late in some emotional situations, no bite, no passion...so it seems. Only that game against Montreal did we see it. I'd like to see more of that on the ice.

Maybe Muzzin can bring it, but he's new and surrounded by quiet leaders. He can't just turn that on, though when he throws those hard hits, it resonated up and down the lineup.

weems

Jul 3, 2008

You know what else gets old fast?

A hardass coach that is constently nagging on his team or certain players and routinely throws players in the doghouse.
It usually works at first because they get guys to buy in fast but its not long before many of their players start tuning him out.
A coach that talks about "earning" and there being accountability but then only applying it to certain ones and others avoid criticism or demotion.

Flipwon

Jun 25, 2018
You know what else gets old fast?

A hardass coach that is constently nagging on his team or certain players and routinely throws players in the doghouse.
It usually works at first because they get guys to buy in fast but its not long before many of their players start tuning him out.
A coach that talks about "earning" and there being accountability but then only applying it to certain ones and others avoid criticism or demotion.
You know what else gets old fast? People posting crap like this every day like they played for Babcock.

Do you or have you ever played for Babcock? No? What about any other "hardass" coach at the NHL level? No? Peewee you say? Ahh.

Reactions: diceman934

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Sparks pointing fingers on what the team lacks? Ya we got some issues throughout the lineup and he can turn one of those fingers towards himself as well for a lack of stability and poor attempt at being the last line of defense.

Reactions: Rogue

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
I wouldn't be surprised if Komarov and Martin was that guy for us.
They were. It's funny we crap on particular players while we have them. They bring a certain characteristic to the team and we dont know what we miss until those players are gone. I'll take those 2 over brown and anyone on our 4th line to bring some grit and jam

Reactions: Trapper

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
They were. It's funny we crap on particular players while we have them. They bring a certain characteristic to the team and we dont know what we miss until those players are gone. I'll take those 2 over brown and anyone on our 4th line to bring some grit and jam
We need that smug antagonist (that can play) like a Tkachuk or someone.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
We need that smug antagonist (that can play) like a Tkachuk or someone.
Nailed it my friend...on the flip side of that coin I guess kadri would kinda be that guy for us but hes been playing like crap and dont know what the hell his problem is. Perhaps his sponsorship with paramount foods is feeding him to many schawarmas before the games lol

SlpLessInMuskoka18

Aug 13, 2018
Pretty sure Leo would grind Kadri's gears' every game to get him fired up.. The old Kadri drew the most penalties in the league which is non-existent now. Pre-2 diving penalty era Kadri. There doesn't even seem to be any friendly banter between players.

It's like they've forgotten to have fun in all this mess.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Nailed it my friend...on the flip side of that coin I guess kadri would kinda be that guy for us but hes been playing like crap and dont know what the hell his problem is. Perhaps his sponsorship with paramount foods is feeding him to many schawarmas before the games lol
Even Max Domi on a wing with Matthews would be ideal. Any forwards around the league that have that style for good value?

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I like what Sparks said. I would agree it probably should have been said by someone else. It needed to be said. I've seen that passion back this week. That doesn't mean we won't see it the rest of the regular season. It doesn't mean we won't get our asses kicked by Boston. What Sparks said needed to be said by someone in that locker room. I think it will lead to someone being named captain next season. I wonder about the camaraderie in the locker room. Makes me think there is close to a mutiny on the head coach. This off season the Leafs need to address a lot of things. From the top down. Dubas-Babcock their vision isn't in sync. Babcock and the team I believe there are issues there. You need everyone on the same page. If that's not happening then you feel you're being back stabbed occasionally. Shanahan needs to fix this mess.

Sparks need to play the remainder of the games and give Freddy some rest. Home ice is unlikely and really don't matter if Freddy is burned out. Again by the coach.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
good for sparks.

he's won a recent championship, and was arguably the key player to that championship. he had every reason to speak out. he saw something wrong.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
You know what else gets old fast? People posting crap like this every day like they played for Babcock.

Do you or have you ever played for Babcock? No? What about any other "hardass" coach at the NHL level? No? Peewee you say? Ahh.
Ok gotcha- no opinions on Babs coaching unless you’ve played for him. Seems reasonable

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Kadri used to be a good **** disturber until he got declawed.
When the team is soft as shit it makes everyone soft as shit. Whats the point for Kadri to hit if he is the only guy and then will have no one backing him up. Hitting and toughness is contagious. An enforcer on this team is would be so out of place and just not work. You watch Boston play and Bergeron and Pasternak are taking runs at guys. Thats because toughness is through the lineup and rubs off on everyone.

If we want to not be soft and be a team everyone hates to play against we need Tkachuk, Ferland AND Simmonds. Then you will see everyone will be hitting and fighting and slashing and chirping. Not just 1 single outlier.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015

He got married. I’ve seen so many friends go from men to nutless corpses of themselves in no time.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I truly believe that all of this teams problems have to do either with not enough talent in certain departments and with game planning/structure. This other stuff is BS.

The rest is all distraction and buzz words like "passion" or "energy".

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Lol no..there rah rah guy is Marner. If you mean a guy with an edge Johnny has one but Kadri has lost his...maybe playing it safe since concussion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->