Proposal: I WANT TANEV!!!!! (TOR/VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
No, the point is that I’m not talking about Tanev. I’m talking specifically about Kapanen here. I didn’t say, “gee, players are never worth as much as their fan base thinks.” I asked when we’re going to stop pretending that Kapanen specifically isn’t as valuable as Leafs fans specifically think he is. If you want to talk about other potentially overvalued players that’s a different conversation. If you’re going to argue with me at least argue about the conversation I’m having instead of trying to steer it away from my point.

And yet, nobody has been able to say why he isn't... Anyone reasonable will say he's looked good in the NHL and clearly has more to give with more opportunity but that he's really done nothing to either lower or raise his value from the point he's drafted. AKA most see him as being worth a first somewhere between 20-25. Now tell me why he is worth less than that?

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Hey, i like you logic....i will now value Tanev in the same way. In the very recent past, these threads have popped up:
Tanev to Tampa...Tampa fans response? No interest in Tanev.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/tampa-vancouver.2501939/#post-146754801
Tanev to Islanders...Isles fans response? No interest in Tanev.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/van-nyi.2501763/#post-146739853
Tanev to Canes...Canes fans response? No interest in Tanev.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/vancouver-carolina.2502245/#post-146780577
Tanev to Chicago...Hawks fans response? You guessed it....
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/canucks-x-blackhawks-trade.2501641/#post-146728387

So now, should we say Tanev has no value?

Let’s not pretend fan interest in a player reflects a team’s interest in a player.

Fans will almost always go for the sexy choice; which Tanev is not. (Not because he’s not good, but zero offense, ceiling known, etc)

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Who is the top 9 player?

Kapanen is absolutely a top 9 player, and has been used in the top nine a few times.

I don't know how to put it simpler than this: Kapanen's value is not decreased because he plays on a team that is deep down the wings.

EDIT: I watch both the Habs and Leafs more than any team, Kapanen right now is basically a small step below Paul Byron, with much more potential. If you want to say Byron isn't a top 9 player either, let's just stop

Just curious from both a Leafs & Nucks fans pov what do you think KK projects to become at the nhl level?

Leafs fans?

Nucks fans?

Please give me your projection. Thx

I think his floor is a 20-20 player who is excellent defensively, with extensive PK duties.

His speed is elite. My only concern is his hands...and its not even really much of a concern. I just think he was snakebitten alot around the net.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
*Every other fan base continuously remarks how Kapanen isn’t worth as much as Leafs fans think*
Leafs fans: Am I wrong?
Leafs fans: No, it is the children who are wrong.

News flash: Don't think the far majority of Leaf fans feel Kapanen is a blue-chip project, so where is the line being drawn with "every other fan base". Is Kapanen NOT a high floor, low ceiling guy with some baseline expectation of 30-45 points, middle 6, special teams type player with speed- or is it some fictitious narrative you and select others have created?

That, and maybe you should simply revisit Kapanen's trajectory, from a 1st round pick in the 20s onwards.

Just curious from both a Leafs & Nucks fans pov what do you think KK projects to become at the nhl level?

Leafs fans?

Nucks fans?

Please give me your projection. Thx

Baseline expectation is a 2-way guy, with a bit of grit and a lot of speed. Not super dynamic, but a useful middle 6 player that can play in all-situations. Probably a middle 6, 30-45 point guy as an expectation.

Certainly, his ceiling is a lot lower than a guy like say, Connor. He's not a guy I personally see as a 1st line winger, or anything of the sort (unless used with star level players as a complimentary type). I actually think there's a better chance he busts out as a Matt Frattin type than the former, but certainly I think he's more of a safe propsect, than a boom-bust type.

Just not sure why other fans continue to think he's sold higher than that- to the degree that you see at least one Kapanen pot shot in every thread he appears on the main boards.

Last edited:

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Let’s not pretend fan interest in a player reflects a team’s interest in a player.

Fans will almost always go for the sexy choice; which Tanev is not. (Not because he’s not good, but zero offense, ceiling known, etc)

I think that's the point he's making when it comes to Kapanen. People come in saying "38 GP an only 9 points? Dude sucks!" Then they see him fly by their fastest players and the tune kind of changes lol

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
Kapanen is absolutely a top 9 player, and has been used in the top nine a few times.

I don't know how to put it simpler than this: Kapanen's value is not decreased because he plays on a team that is deep down the wings.

EDIT: I watch both the Habs and Leafs more than any team, Kapanen right now is basically a small step below Paul Byron, with much more potential. If you want to say Byron isn't a top 9 player either, let's just stop
That makes Marko Dano a top 3.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
I think that's the point he's making when it comes to Kapanen. People come in saying "38 GP an only 9 points? Dude sucks!" Then they see him fly by their fastest players and the tune kind of changes lol
What's he doing flying by players and not scoring. If he was that good he would have more than 9 points. Players don't get paid to skate by people and do nothing.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
We're talking about the guy with 8 NHL goals, right?

Just making sure.

If Kapanen ever scores more than Grabner's 34 goals I will eat my jock strap

You must be trolling when you question a guy's goal totals after he's player less than 60 NHL games and has spent most of them on the 4th line (because of Toronto's RW depth). Or are you just deficient?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Prove me wrong.

I have no idea what points I'm supposed to present since you're basically just mumbling nonsense. Here's a radical idea: WATCH the player in question. It's just mouth breather after mouth breather regurgitating the exact same "only 8 goals" argument. So instead I'll just wait and let you see Kapanen play top 9 minutes consistently next season.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
That's usually what happens when teams make trades that make them Cup contenders. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Leafs aren't at that point yet, even more so when you consider they would be targeting a injury prone player like Tanev.

Shanejones

Jun 12, 2018
Eastern passage
10 is pretty much a guarantee considering he has never played a close to a full season. In recent times it is more like 15-20 games missed
Do some research, during those years of 15-20 games missed,once it was due to a mono outbreak within the team and the other was from a fluke puck to the face and surgery was required, both fluke injuries and time missed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->