I thought Larry Quinn was the worst thing to happen to Sabres Hockey. I was wrong.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
Pegulas are a shitty joke. I don't know how responsible they are for the Eichel debacle. But it doesn't matter. Before that they were top five worst owners in a professional sports. They are like the drunk idiot at the bar who talks are all sorts of shit about Jokiharju or Sekera because they're small and they don't hit. Utterly clueless.

Reactions: ClearTheTrack

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
It costs roughly $10,000 to put 1lb into space. They’re far too cheap to be sending human payloads to the sun.

Yeah something like 10 pounds of fuel for 1 pound of matter on top of everything else but that's for rockets. Since we don't care about the safety of what we're launching we can just launch it/them with a massive cannon instead. :laugh:

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
The emotions are out of control. Who's the mystery owner that 'rights' the Sabres?

I don't give a whit about the pegulas or them owning the team, but the people losing their minds over them don't have any plan for a post-pegula era so it just amounts to a temper tantrum.

Who's out there? Who in a position with some potential interest in owning the team? How is this new owner going to be any better?

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Pegulas are a shitty joke. I don't know how responsible they are for the Eichel debacle. But it doesn't matter. Before that they were top five worst owners in a professional sports. They are like the drunk idiot at the bar who talks are all sorts of shit about Jokiharju or Sekera because they're small and they don't hit. Utterly clueless.
Stop it. You're being entirely reactionary.
There are plenty of worse owners and, in reality, unless the owner is refusing to spend money on the roster or threatening to move the team out of town, they really can't do too much damage. The Pegula's aren't the sharpest tools in the shed but there have been plenty of owners in professional sports who have actively tried to relocate or tightened the purse strings on free agents, something Buffalo hasn't done.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I absolutely hated Ales Kotalik with every cell of my being, and if he could buy the Sabres from the Pegulas, he’d instantly become my favourite Sabres ever.

They’re THAT bad of owners.

What did Kotalik ever do to you haha? I liked his shot, how he played with Connolly and Max, and obviously his shootout efficiency quite a bit! Was he a dick behind the scenes or something?

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
The emotions are out of control. Who's the mystery owner that 'rights' the Sabres?

I don't give a whit about the pegulas or them owning the team, but the people losing their minds over them don't have any plan for a post-pegula era so it just amounts to a temper tantrum.

Who's out there? Who in a position with some potential interest in owning the team? How is this new owner going to be any better?

There are plenty of worse owners and, in reality, unless the owner is refusing to spend money on the roster or threatening to move the team out of town, they really can't do too much damage. The Pegula's aren't the sharpest tools in the shed but there have been plenty of owners in professional sports who have actively tried to relocate or tightened the purse strings on free agents, something Buffalo hasn't done.
We're heading into the third version of our rebuild. Playoffs might be 5+ years away.
That anyone still care about the team at this point is fantastic. Give it a week and we'll all be more level headed, right now I like to think about volcanos interacting with humans in different ways.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
We're heading into the third version of our rebuild. Playoffs might be 5+ years away.
That anyone still care about the team at this point is fantastic. Give it a week and we'll all be more level headed, right now I like to think about volcanos interacting with humans in different ways.
I get this frustration. That's why I emotionally checked out. It took all of this drought but it's finally not so bad. I actually like following the team again just from an objective point-of-view as a hockey fan and nothing more.

Honestly, I don't blame ownership because I think it's a cultural thing. Losing is insidious. Once it begins to start setting in it becomes the norm and when that happens you start wondering if the team is beyond repair culturally. For all the bad times with the Bills' drought, they never lost like this. They had some level of pride and dignity. I don't see it in the Sabres players once they've been in the organization for 2-3 years. By that time, they just culturally accept losing when they don the sweater and when they start to hit their peak, they want out. I don't know that that ever will change at this point. A decade of losing to this extent is almost irreversible. I don't know that there is some fix-all decision or series of decisions that the Pegulas can make to redeem it now. They screwed themselves with some well-intentioned but ultimately ill-informed signings and now here we are. I just don't get being mad with them when they do loosen the purse strings for the roster.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011

Take a step back and think for a second.

There are people who have had season tickets since the inception of the franchise that are giving them up. This fanbase, which is one of the most dedicated and loyal groups of hockey fans in the US, is giving up.

Just because they haven't moved the team somewhere else (which they cannot anyways) , and thrown lots of money at players, doesn't mean they haven't don't massive, long term damage to this franchise.

They have.

When you run the place the way they have, putting last place teams on the ice year after year, and then fire a 33 year employee because somehow you think it's HIS fault ticket sales are slipping....

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
So i guess it's time i buyout the Pegulas and take over the ship. What do you think?
I recently took a management class and read all of Trumps books. I feel prepared. Once that Bitcoin hits a 100k, watch out, fellow Sabres!

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

You can ruin a franchise and be spending money -- it's actually very easy in a hard cap world.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Just because they haven't moved the team somewhere else (which they cannot anyways) , and thrown lots of money at players, doesn't mean they haven't don't massive, long term damage to this franchise.

Who said they can't move the team. I thought it was a 10-year agreement from Golisano. I find it hard to believe it was in perpetuity.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Who said they can't move the team. I thought it was a 10-year agreement from Golisano. I find it hard to believe it was in perpetuity.

I have never seen anything even hinted at that the "cannot-move" clause was only for a 10 year period post sale. All of Golisano's comments at the time were that it could not EVER be moved.

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX

We don't know. The language of the contract was not released, but the courts have generally rejected any kind of 'in perpetuity' language in contracts. Logic and common sense tell us the NHL would never let an owner agree to a clause that would prevent relocation "forever'

Also, Pegulas could sell the team and any provision about moving would be void.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Not sure about the others, but Myers is pretty widely considered an awful contract and part of why Benning should be fired among media and fans of the Canucks.
I have no idea what his contract is. I'm basically talking about ex-Sabres who are being effective, solid and contributing players on the ice.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
Reactionary? Just so we are straight, I'm fine with Eichel being gone.

I've been saying they blow for 3 years. Because they blow. A random number generator would make better decisions. They literally do they exact opposite of what they should do on every decision.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Reactionary? Just so we are straight, I'm fine with Eichel being gone.

I've been saying they blow for 3 years. Because they blow. A random number generator would make better decisions. They literally do they exact opposite of what they should do on every decision.

I think a lot of us are getting to be fine with Eichel being gone at this point, more and more by the day. Can't wait til I fly into Buffalo tomorrow and hear from all my family about how he's definitely gonna stay. I'm sure the atmosphere up there right now is uncomfortable.

A random number generator would possibly not have taken Eichel or Reinhart or Dahlin at all. The Pegula's, just by being sentient human beings, are better than a random number generator. I understand you being upset and them not exactly deserving rave reviews, but I really think there are inept owners and then there are downright bad owners, and if I have to choose the lesser of two evils, I'll take the inept ones who at least try...sorta. I won't say they're mediocre or good owners if that helps. Subpar seems right.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
You can ruin a franchise and be spending money -- it's actually very easy in a hard cap world.

Fair enough, but that doesn't represent my definition of bad owner. I guess because I came of age when we didn't even really have an owner or when our owner mandated that our management have an internal cap after that. I see the Pegulas as bumbling idiots, but not as "bad" owners. A bad owner is Eugene Melnyk.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
I think a lot of us are getting to be fine with Eichel being gone at this point, more and more by the day. Can't wait til I fly into Buffalo tomorrow and hear from all my family about how he's definitely gonna stay. I'm sure the atmosphere up there right now is uncomfortable.

A random number generator would possibly not have taken Eichel or Reinhart or Dahlin at all. The Pegula's, just by being sentient human beings, are better than a random number generator. I understand you being upset and them not exactly deserving rave reviews, but I really think there are inept owners and then there are downright bad owners, and if I have to choose the lesser of two evils, I'll take the inept ones who at least try...sorta. I won't say they're mediocre or good owners if that helps. Subpar seems right.
I thought the GM's drafted those players but... maybe not lol... which is a whole other part of the problem.

And yes a random number generator could pick a better GMs if given a pool of eligible applicants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->