GDT: I think there might be a game today at 5 vs the Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
I completely missed the game so I have no idea: why our good ole Oleg Tverdovsky did come back? Special event?

I think because of the 25 year anniversary. Looks like they plan on having some former Duck players at the games occasionally. He lives here now, brought his son out for ceremonial puck drop.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Can someone catch me up on the past 5 games or so? Haven't had the chance to watch much - it sounds like there wasn't much to miss.
They’ve been bad. Not worth watching. Outshot 2 or 3 to 1, scrambly, can’t keep control of the puck and so spend all their energy chasing the other team.

Getzlaf is back in beast mode, but is also making some of his patented turnovers (he’s still several tiers above anyone else on the team though).

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
They’ve been bad. Not worth watching. Outshot 2 or 3 to 1, scrambly, can’t keep control of the puck and so spend all their energy chasing the other team.

Getzlaf is back in beast mode, but is also making some of his patented turnovers (he’s still several tiers above anyone else on the team though).

Honestly, the turnovers feel like the least of our problems in comparison to everything else. In a perfect world where the entire product didn't look like hot garbage, yeah, I would absolutely be on the witch hunt for the ever-popular "no look 3v3 drop pass to nobody" but it's hard to even care about that with how laughable everything has been.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
The past few games there have been a few short stretches where we seem to look like an NHL team. Last night there were at least some prolonged stretches where they appeared to be playing with some confidence and could move the puck a bit better. I guess you could say there are some positives to be found:

Aberg scored twice including a nifty goal, and may be heating up
Manson had what I thought was his best game of the season
Gibson continues to provide stellar goaltending under a constant barrage of shots
Getzlaf looks like he is healthy and still has elite playmaking ability
The young guys aren't contributing much but each shift gets them closer to finding their game in the NHL
Cogs was more noticeable last night than maybe all season (to me at least)
Silf seems to be playing pretty inspired hockey
Steel was 7 for 8 on the dot
Lindholm played 30 minutes and was +1, and I thought he was solid all game

However, from what I saw we were an offsides call away from 4-1 and a likely blowout. That goal being called back really led to a momentum shift and allowed us to creep back into the game. We gave up a ton of odd-man rushes and the first period and a half was like a shooting gallery from the low slot in front of Gibson. We didn't deserve to win the game and I've felt that way about almost every game this season. Something has to give and soon. Either this team needs to find a way to string together a couple convincing wins and gain back their confidence, or they need a new coaching staff and a fresh start.

Unlike most on here, I don't think this is first and foremost a systemic issue. I think its almost entirely a confidence and execution issue. Guys just look like they have forgotten how to play hockey; how to string a few passes together and execute a zone exit or a zone entry (or make yourself available for an outlet pass or breakout pass); how to execute the cycle; how to use the points to spread the d coverage and open up passing or shooting lanes down low, etc etc. Maybe it is due to all the injuries and new faces but I don't think this team could execute any kind of system right now with how they are playing. They just don't seem to have any kind of chemistry or confidence or sense of urgency outside of a few minutes each game (if that). I'm not opposed to a coaching change but it would be more to get their heads out of their asses than to stick it to Carlyle, and if you think the problems lie in the fact that they have tuned Carlyle out and stopped playing for him then I would say that could be likely, but speaks to a bigger problem with the team as a whole, since they are supposed to have all this great veteran leadership etc etc.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The past few games there have been a few short stretches where we seem to look like an NHL team. Last night there were at least some prolonged stretches where they appeared to be playing with some confidence and could move the puck a bit better. I guess you could say there are some positives to be found:

Gibson continues to provide stellar goaltending under a constant barrage of shots
The young guys aren't contributing much but each shift gets them closer to finding their game in the NHL

However, from what I saw we were an offsides call away from 4-1 and a likely blowout. That goal being called back really led to a momentum shift and allowed us to creep back into the game. We gave up a ton of odd-man rushes and the first period and a half was like a shooting gallery from the low slot in front of Gibson. We didn't deserve to win the game and I've felt that way about almost every game this season. Something has to give and soon. Either this team needs to find a way to string together a couple convincing wins and gain back their confidence, or they need a new coaching staff and a fresh start.

Unlike most on here, I don't think this is first and foremost a systemic issue. I think its almost entirely a confidence and execution issue. Guys just look like they have forgotten how to play hockey; how to string a few passes together and execute a zone exit or a zone entry (or make yourself available for an outlet pass or breakout pass); how to execute the cycle; how to use the points to spread the d coverage and open up passing or shooting lanes down low, etc etc. Maybe it is due to all the injuries and new faces but I don't think this team could execute any kind of system right now with how they are playing. They just don't seem to have any kind of chemistry or confidence or sense of urgency outside of a few minutes each game (if that). I'm not opposed to a coaching change but it would be more to get their heads out of their asses than to stick it to Carlyle, and if you think the problems lie in the fact that they have tuned Carlyle out and stopped playing for him then I would say that could be likely, but speaks to a bigger problem with the team as a whole, since they are supposed to have all this great veteran leadership etc etc.

Teams that are in tune with one another look more confident and clean in execution. Disorganized teams with little structure just look slower and sloppier.

I feel like as a coach, my job is to make sure every player on the ice is aware of their job/expectations/options in just about any scenario they may find themselves in. I have rules for determining the specifics of back checking assignments (where and when), when strong side D are allowed to pinch (virtually never). My centers know exactly how far to push out a shooting lane when their winger is beat off the wall so as to not abandon their own responsibilities. I could go on for hours, because the game is becoming that intricate, and this is all stuff I can get 12-15 year olds to understand and execute. So it's frustrating to come home and watch my favourite NHL team play with precious little structure or organization.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

I would disagree completely on the bottom paragraph... its definitely a systematic thing... and obviously caryle is going to do changes to the system to save his job. Now the shitty system might contribute to lack of confidence/chemistry... but overall the system is the problem... on PK/PP/Even strength... the team just looks awful.

As for the rest id agree.... I know Lindholm catches a lot of "consistency" talk from some people on these boards, but he really is the most consistent player on the team... and people questioned his endurance but I think hes a player that would benefit with being the true #1.... glad to see him getting the mins and glad to see him doing well. He isn't going to be flashy like Montour, or an offensive juggernaut... but hes going to give you top notch defense night in and night out.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg

This is an amazing post-game interview. BS questions and moronic replies and statements by RC. I feel like the games are played in the bizarro world.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Honestly, the turnovers feel like the least of our problems in comparison to everything else. In a perfect world where the entire product didn't look like hot garbage, yeah, I would absolutely be on the witch hunt for the ever-popular "no look 3v3 drop pass to nobody" but it's hard to even care about that with how laughable everything has been.
I wasn’t really complaining about his OT, I think that was on Rakell for driving right into all 3 Sharks instead. He just thinks faster than the rest of the team and sometimes doesn’t see people. He’s still 3-5 times better than anyone else on the team not named Gibson. I was just commenting that he’s still good for a couple facepalm passes per game lol.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I think because of the 25 year anniversary. Looks like they plan on having some former Duck players at the games occasionally. He lives here now, brought his son out for ceremonial puck drop.

Thanks! Had no idea that Tverdovsky settled down in OC, he completely went off the radar after his retirement so I thought he was back in Russia.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Can someone catch me up on the past 5 games or so? Haven't had the chance to watch much - it sounds like there wasn't much to miss.

EQeQDT4.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->