I think the Wings have turned the corner

Alex Thrasher

Jul 8, 2019
Defense.
Skating.
Shooting.
Hitting.

Nick Leddy is going to be traded for a 2nd rounder in February.
I wouldn't get too invested.

That's exactly what I hope happens. Give Seider a veteran d-man to play with for most of the year and then flip him for a 2nd at the trade deadline. How is this not seen as a great move? Leddy obviously isn't in the long-term plans so you let him play with Seider for 80% of the season while moving our 2nd round pick to the next year when we can actually scout

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Defense.
Skating.
Shooting.
Hitting.

In addition, I'm going to bet that in Leddy's next contract, he gets less than Oleksiak just got.
Feel free to take me up on that bet.

Skating? Shooting? Are either of those serious?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
And the bottom line for me is this: I advocated for the signing of a good LD and veteran RD.
I toyed with the idea of Center, but I really didn't like any of the centers out there enough, Suter included.
We got Leddy instead of Oleksiak. Right position - but wrong guy, IMO.
And at RD, we've not signed anyone who's going to take some pressure of Hronek/Seider.
We brought back Staal for whatever, reason.

My plan provides room for young kids to play. Yzerman's really doesn't.
He'd rather let Trashill decide to bench the young kid in favor of Sam Gagner.

What a ridiculous troll and poster you are.

You would have liked to go with kids, but when we go with kids at RH Defence, that right side would have needed someone, maybe veteran, take some pressure of Hronek and Seider. Of course. But same won't work on left side! Veterans Leddy or Staal are the wrong pressure takers, because it should have been Oleksiak. :shakehead

Of course of course. Ignore list days are coming back. Same will happen every summer in here.

Reactions: needzmoarcleary

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
That's exactly what I hope happens. Give Seider a veteran d-man to play with for most of the year and then flip him for a 2nd at the trade deadline. How is this not seen as a great move? Leddy obviously isn't in the long-term plans so you let him play with Seider for 80% of the season while moving our 2nd round pick to the next year when we can actually scout

Why don't you ask the guy that you replied to why this didn't see it as a great move?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I'm not even clear what our team spaghetti policy is which is a real failure on Yzerman's part. Under my plan, I would allow spaghetti to be transported in bags.

Spaghetti and meatballs must be transported in terrible for the environment styrofoam boxes. That's at least the old policy.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Leddy has been one of the best skaters in the league every year he has been in it up until this point

Oleksiak is a fine skater, probably even quite good for a larger player, but asserting that his skating is better than Leddy's?

I don't understand how that can even be conceived of, never mind argued

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Leddy has been one of the best skaters in the league every year he has been in it up until this point

Oleksiak is a fine skater, probably even quite good for a larger player, but asserting that his skating is better than Leddy's?

I don't understand how that can even be conceived of, never mind argued

Welcome to the mind of an MBH.

Reactions: needzmoarcleary

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Defense.
Skating.
Shooting.
Hitting.

In addition, I'm going to bet that in Leddy's next contract, he gets less than Oleksiak just got.
Feel free to take me up on that bet.

He isn't better at skating or shooting so strike two off that list.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
@MBH - not to be confrontational at all, I just know that you are highly opinionated on certain players over others - I guess I would be curious, other than outright heavily investing in small wingers which your opinion is very clear, the players I've seen you stand for are Svechnikov, AA, and Oleksiak. What exactly are the traits you generally value or prize - because I'm not seeing a ton of crossover - other than...size?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I've given this some thought and I think next year is the year where we are fully ready for liftoff. The main reasons include the Neilsen and DeKeyser contracts finally come of the books. Those are the last two really bad contracts left. Add in the recent draft picks and the defense should have the makings of being one of the better units in the league, not the absolute worst. We should also be able to address our lack of scoring line centers, either through the draft, free agency or a trade.

So next year is the year the Yzerplan achieves liftoff.

That certainly looks like Yzerman's intentions, unless the group gives him pause for some reason. We stayed where we are through the Wright draft where we should be probably somewhere in the bottom 10, maybe not quite bottom 5 we will have to see, but still if we are fortunate enough to win the Wright lottery he can kick it into overdrive. Still I think we are about to see a lot more influx of talent, the foundation is shaping up pretty nicely here in my opinion.

Reactions: The Zermanator

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
That certainly looks like Yzerman's intentions, unless the group gives him pause for some reason. We stayed where we are through the Wright draft where we should be probably somewhere in the bottom 10, maybe not quite bottom 5 we will have to see, but still if we are fortunate enough to win the Wright lottery he can kick it into overdrive. Still I think we are about to see a lot more influx of talent, the foundation is shaping up pretty nicely here in my opinion.
If we get Wright, I think that's it for the rebuild. Package some of that quality depth on the wing with a good prospect and a 1st, and you have to imagine some pretty good dmen start becoming available through trade. Say one of Vrana/Bert/Fabbri, plus Johansson, plus a 1st rd pick. As a side note, that's one area I hope Yzerman really capitalizes on. The moment he decides a 1st is worth trading rather than using. If he times it right, he can extract maximum value from a team thinking they're trading for a lottery pick.

Go with Larkin and Wright down the middle, flanked by 4 of Raymond/Zadina/Vrana/Bertuzzi/Fabbri/Berggren and that's a rock solid top 6. Then you have Seider, Hronek, Edvinsson, and the dman acquired in the trade above to round out your top 4. Add to that some development from our young goalies and seems like you're starting to look at contention.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
It's not a comparison.
It is what it is.
Some bad teams spend money. Some don't.
That's a choice.
A couple years ago, Buffalo traded for Ryan O'Reilly. They signed Jeff Skinner. They signed Okposo.
They f***ed up.
Do you want Yzerman to do that?
Probably not (though Ryan O'Reilly is great).

But what about Panarin?
Personally, I like Panarin, but I don't think he makes much sense.

Again, the Rangers made a choice.

Yzerman is making his choice.
He'd rather finish bottom five than with fillers and prospects than spend a lot of money and flirt with a playoff spot.
And we all f***ing know it.

Now, I think the day is soon coming when he'll change his mind.

huh? is there a Panarin out there that the Wings can even sign? the league isn't exactly swimming in them

there was certainly noone remotely near that level on the free agent market this year

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
huh? is there a Panarin out there that the Wings can even sign? the league isn't exactly swimming in them

there was certainly noone remotely near that level on the free agent market this year

Jesus.
It's not about PANARIN.
It's about whether or not you're out there trading and signing the best available guys.

And we're not.
Isn't that obvious to you?
Do you even understand what you're arguing?

Yzerman is continuing to tank. And that's the wise course of action.
99 percent of this board agrees.
But people are arguing because they're offended by the word tank.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
If we get Wright, I think that's it for the rebuild. Package some of that quality depth on the wing with a good prospect and a 1st, and you have to imagine some pretty good dmen start becoming available through trade. Say one of Vrana/Bert/Fabbri, plus Johansson, plus a 1st rd pick. As a side note, that's one area I hope Yzerman really capitalizes on. The moment he decides a 1st is worth trading rather than using. If he times it right, he can extract maximum value from a team thinking they're trading for a lottery pick.

Go with Larkin and Wright down the middle, flanked by 4 of Raymond/Zadina/Vrana/Bertuzzi/Fabbri/Berggren and that's a rock solid top 6. Then you have Seider, Hronek, Edvinsson, and the dman acquired in the trade above to round out your top 4. Add to that some development from our young goalies and seems like you're starting to look at contention.

After next year, we'll have our center, most likely.
In the new NHL, a rebuild is never finished until you're competing for the playoffs.
But yeah, I think after next year's draft, you're probably going to see a couple more steps towards something decent. Probably nothing too crazy. But like a Danault-level guy.
You really have to be careful about going for broke too early and finding yourself unable to sign Raymond or Seider to that 2nd contract the way you'd like.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Jesus.
It's not about PANARIN.
It's about whether or not you're out there trading and signing the best available guys.

And we're not.
Isn't that obvious to you?
Do you even understand what you're arguing?

Yzerman is continuing to tank. And that's the wise course of action.
99 percent of this board agrees.
But people are arguing because they're offended by the word tank.
Because that’s not what tanking means, yzerman is rebuilding, tanking is trading away all of your assets to purposefully lose like Buffalo did in the mcdavid draft. We have not done anything close to that.

Reactions: ealong59

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Because that’s not what tanking means, yzerman is rebuilding, tanking is trading away all of your assets to purposefully lose like Buffalo did in the mcdavid draft. We have not done anything close to that.

Get real.
We've been tanking for 4-5 years.
We were the WORST team in hockey by a country mile and our improvement program?
Bobby Ryan.
Sam Gagner.
Jon Merril.
and Thomas Greiss.

When you're the worst team in hockey by like .200 pct, and that's your offseason? You are tanking.

You're a fish - swimming at the bottom of the f***ing tank.

And we're basically doing it again this year.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Get real.
Bobby Ryan.
Sam Gagner.
Jon Merril.
and Thomas Greiss.

When you're the worst team in hockey by like .200 pct, and that's your offseason? You are tanking.

Athanasiou wasn’t going to be re-signed by us so we traded him, green either. I don’t see how you don’t understand that trading expiring contracts ISNT what Buffalo did. What we are doing is what every franchise has ever done in a down period, which is rebuild. Tanking is literally destroying your own teams morale and kids to try and succeed in one or two drafts. We have not done that, in fact last year all of those signings you are complaining about made us vastly better and we went from the worst team in the league to like 6th.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Meh, I don't think those contracts are really preventing us from doing anything at the moment. In the past I would have agreed, but not at this point. Even when they do come off of the books, you are just going to replace them with another, over paid veteran with another bad contract. Sure you will get more for your money (hard not to) but you aren't signing impactful high-end players.

The contracts in and of themselves aren't going to hinder our cap space, but I do believe it all comes together starting next season. You will have Seider, Edvinsson, Raymond, and hopefully one more scoring line center on the roster. You can address any holes in the roster via free agency, which is how you properly use free agency. Yzerman has also proven effective at making trades.

We will show signs of life this year, but next year is the year we will look back on and say 2021-22 was the year Yzerman's work started to really pay off.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Get real.
Bobby Ryan.
Sam Gagner.
Jon Merril.
and Thomas Greiss.

Thankfully Yzerman understands what it takes to rebuild. If Holland never left to sabotage the Oilers, we'd be in much worse shape.

Although, I'd love (not really) to hear your differing definition of rebuilding vs. tanking. To rebuild you have to be bad, so if every rebuild is a tank, then so be it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad