I think the next 3 games will determine if we're in the playoffs or not.

Bishop1310

Sep 19, 2011
I'm sure everyone else is aware that Tue we play the Jets then we play the Pens Thur and the Jets again Sat. I think this is our chance to bury the jets and guarantee us a top 8 finish. It would be nice to win the game against the Pens on Thursday but I would be fine with a loss that night and a Win on Tue and Sat vs the Jets.

If we lose both games against the jets then I could see us falling out of the playoff hunt. I don't see the Islanders making a push and philly has a lot of problems.

I realize anything can happen, but does anyone else share the same feelings that these next 3 games make or break the season for the leafs?

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
I'd argue the first 5 games of April will show us whether we can play clutch and all our guys are ready for the home stretch or if we are just all riding on lucky bounces. Still beleafin':yo:

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Definitely three big games coming up. But then again, with no inter-conference play, there are another 19 big games to play after these three as well.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Its not just about how many wins you get, but who youre beating.

The Jets are the type of team we NEED to beat. If we go 0-2 against them (ignoring all other factors, such as what happens in the Pens game or their other games), then all of a sudden we're only 1 pt ahead and they have a game in hand.

But if we go 2-0 against them? Then we have a 9 point lead. Huge difference. When its a team that youre directly competing against for a playoff spot, each game is arguably a 4 point game, because thats the difference between them winning and you winning in terms of relative points in the standings.

Theres big opportunity here to put a ton of room between us and the Jets. Hopefully the team can capitalize on that.

LeafsJaysRaptors

Mar 6, 2013
Canada
Definitely three big games coming up. But then again, with no inter-conference play, there are another 19 big games to play after these three as well.

Agreed.. we have to look at every single game from now until the end of the year as vital if we're planning on making the playoffs.

Faustus

Jun 21, 2012
Beating the Jets both times would be huge, I agree. But there is plenty of hockey left to be played.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Its not just about how many wins you get, but who youre beating.

The Jets are the type of team we NEED to beat. If we go 0-2 against them (ignoring all other factors, such as what happens in the Pens game or their other games), then all of a sudden we're only 1 pt ahead and they have a game in hand.

But if we go 2-0 against them? Then we have a 9 point lead. Huge difference. When its a team that youre directly competing against for a playoff spot, each game is arguably a 4 point game, because thats the difference between them winning and you winning in terms of relative points in the standings.

Theres big opportunity here to put a ton of room between us and the Jets. Hopefully the team can capitalize on that.

At the end of the day, when it comes to getting into the playoffs -- you need to be a division winner or one of the 5 top point-getting non-division-winning teams in your conference . How those points are obtained doesn't matter, as long as you have them. Yes, some games may have slightly more impact on the standings than others, but I really don't see how you can say the next 3 games will in anyway determine if the Leafs are in the playoffs.

It just seems that some fans are on a constant quest to declare every game "a big game". I don't get it.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
The Jets games are huge. Pittsburgh not so much.

Winning those Jets games would be absolutely massive for us.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Isn't this a weekly thread now?

But yeah, the next X amount of games will determine our fate.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I wouldn't say this makes or breaks us, but it is a pivotal week for the leafs. We need to get at least 4 out of 6 of these points for it to be considered a "successful" week, the jets really don't scare me but still the leafs will need to bring a full 60 minute workout, the Pens I think we can say is a write off they are too much for us. If we can beat the Jets x2 and lose to the Pens, it's a-ok in my books.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
I wouldn't say this makes or breaks us, but it is a pivotal week for the leafs. We need to get at least 4 out of 6 of these points for it to be considered a "successful" week, the jets really don't scare me but still the leafs will need to bring a full 60 minute workout, the Pens I think we can say is a write off they are too much for us. If we can beat the Jets x2 and lose to the Pens, it's a-ok in my books.

please... we just took the pens to a shootout despite a bad game from Reims... we match up well against the Pens. The teams that the Leafs don't match up against are teams that play an effective physical defense... like Boston, and Boston is by far the best team in the Division IMO. 4 points out of 6 should be the minimum, although 6 points would really help the cause. We only need 24 points in 22 games to secure a playoff spot, and we've played 2 more road games than home games. Obviously beating the 'peg is a much higher priority than beating the pens. They're like playoff games.

Just need to keep winning weeks. The last week the Leafs lost more games than they won was back in January.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad