I think Marner is going to have a better year than Matthews

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
If Matthews plays around 80 games, I think he'll lead the Leafs in points, just ahead of Tavares . . . but it could be real, real close between Marner, Tavares and Matthews. In my head, I see Marner in the 70s range, and Matthews and Tavares in the 80+ range if both are healthy.

Really, I'm just hoping for health, and looking forward already to a good playoff run.
And Nylander with 40+21?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
You'll want the puck on Tavares or Matthews stick on the PP.
Then why did Mathews not do well on the PP last season Compared to Marner?

The top producting unit on the Leafs happen with Marner at the helm and this year will be no different. You want the playmaker to pass the puck to the shooter and not the other way around.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
the matthews nylander line should be battling the tavares marner line for the points lead all year...if one line gets marleau it could make a difference, but kadri should get our next 2 best offensive wingers

Obliviate

Jun 26, 2018
Here is hoping DJ Smith comes up with better breakouts and doesn't rely on "stretch passes" strategy

AND

has a better PK formation and execution than he did in the last season; especially in the freakin' playoffs.

Personally I'd fire Smith and promote Keefe as an assistant coach
And rely less on dump and chase when you have skill to enter the zone with the puck. If the Leafs keep the puck more it will take a huge amount of pressure of their D. They certainly have the makeup of an elite possession team.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
We can speculate until we vomit and pass out, but im very exited to see what has happend at the end of the season.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Marner didn't make Bozak or JVR better. My biggest concern will be keeping the puck out of our own net with a Marner/Tavares combination. We can only speculate the pairing works.

That is to put things mildly. Last season at 5v5:

Bozak w/ Marner: 2.35 GF/60, 2.49 GA/60 (-0.14)
JVR w/ Marner: 2.06 GF/60, 2.85 GA/60 (-0.79)

Bozak w/o Marner: 2.77 GF/60, 1.78 GA/60 (+0.99)
JVR w/o Marner: 3.12 GF/60, 2.12 GA/60 (+1.00)

The line was terrible defensively and Marner was sent to the 4th line more than once. We have no idea how well Marner and Tavares will work together - I think that they will work great together, but we don't know. It should be noted that in more than 170 5v5 minutes together over the last two seasons Marner has 1 goal and 1 assist with Hyman (for 0.7 P/60).

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
Did you feel this way when Matthews was significantly better against Washington? Marner hasn't proven he's a consistent playoff performer either.

All speculation about Matthews hurt this year during playoffs but it was known fact Marner coming back from a shoulder injury and playing with mono down the stretch. Not hearsay but actually talked about by his coach.

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
69 points with 16:28 TOI is fantastic. People are sleeping on Marner as a result.
I like to look at the big picture. Barzal was in a far better position to pad the stats than Marner last season.

BTW that was the highest point total in the NHL for that icetime.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I would quibble with Nylander not being a "finisher", dude has an absolutely world class shot, great release, what more do you want.

Pretty much what I said I wanted, goal totals higher than 20 or so?

he's got the shot of a 35 goal scorer, but we have to face facts, he isn't producing like one.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
BTW that was the highest point total in the NHL for that icetime.

Marchand had far more points (85) in fewer minutes of ice time (1340.68), but because he played fewer games he has a higher ATOI, so, I guess congrats on that achievement.

Incidentally, every NHL player who exceeded Matt Martin's 12 points also exceeded his ATOI of (7:59) making him the highest point total in the NHL for that ice time.

Last edited:

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
And Nylander with 40+21?

Honestly, it's weird with Nylander...his visible skill level is phenomenal, in terms of goal scoring prowess, and overall playmaking. And yet for whatever reason, the point totals haven't matched up ... yet ... with his skill level.

So I'd love to say 37g and 36a for 73pts ... But I think he may still be in the mid 60s in points.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Honestly, it's weird with Nylander...his visible skill level is phenomenal, in terms of goal scoring prowess, and overall playmaking. And yet for whatever reason, the point totals haven't matched up ... yet ... with his skill level.

So I'd love to say 37g and 36a for 73pts ... But I think he may still be in the mid 60s in points.

He was 22nd in the NHL in 5v5 points. Tied for first on the Leafs (with Matthews, who obviously missed 20 games) far ahead of anyone else. He played on a PP that completely stopped scoring for 3 months.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He was 22nd in the NHL in 5v5 points. Tied for first on the Leafs (with Matthews, who obviously missed 20 games) far ahead of anyone else. He played on a PP that completely stopped scoring for 3 months.

Yeah it wasn’t on him, the entire pp unit was horribly unlucky.Both he and Matthew’s should’ve had 7 to 10 more points this season if it had been even close to average

Reactions: biotk

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017

Needs to shoot more and try to hit inside goal first instead of the corners. Then he will get more rebounds to chip in. More dirty goals and points until he adjusted the aim.

Reactions: slozo

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
Then why did Mathews not do well on the PP last season Compared to Marner?

The top producting unit on the Leafs happen with Marner at the helm and this year will be no different. You want the playmaker to pass the puck to the shooter and not the other way around.
And Matthews with Tavares on the PP will be twice as deadly. You do realize that Tavares is a deadly playmaker plus he can score don't you?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad